Walls Come Tumbling Down

Walls Come Tumbling Down
The Style Council
You don’t have to take this crap
You don’t have to sit back and relax
You can actually try changing it
I know we’ve always been taught to rely

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2020/01/07/ragbrai-overnight-meeting-towns-receive-more-funding-2020/2833522001/
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ragbrai-in-mea-culpa-over-past-philanthropic-practices-commits-more-to-iowa-charities-20200107

RIDE RIGHT Change happens

4 Replies

garywilk, January 9, 2020 at 7:39 pm

That is why in overnight towns, I always tried to eat at a church and hit the local bars. Even hit a KC hall or American legion. I have not served but they have always been friendly and would rather give them support. They have also been very friendly. Besides, they usually had better food and prices which resulted in me spending a bit more and suffering a bit more the next morning. Support the local businesses!!!!! They host us so thank them and support them. I really do not want this to ever end.

RDaryl Daryl, January 9, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Unfortunately, some if the big town hosts spend big money to try to make a big impression and end up charging BIG prices for virtually everything. My biggest 2019 memory was the prices in Council Bluffs.

The Council Bluffs camp locations for charters were also quite memorable. I fully understand that many towns along the Missouri and Mississippi suffered much with the 2019 floods. However, assigning the charters to thorn-filled farm fields was silly. Our experienced small group set up tents in the narrow grass parkway and did not suffer the mud that so many others charter campers experienced.

Keep it smart. Keep it simple. Registered riders will appreciate it and patronize it.

RDaryl Daryl, January 9, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Without knowing any of the muddy details, it seems like drastic changes were needed to make drastic change happen.

Ken Reed, January 10, 2020 at 6:36 am

Frankly, no one really had an issue with this for the previous 47 years. It’s just a ton of fake outrage generated by people who just aren’t fans of the DMR or Gannett. I think I’ve said this on a previous post but it seems to me that the small host towns tend to make a lot of money because they don’t necessarily spend the same type of money the bigger towns do. Yeah, it’s great these towns are getting more money but when it comes right down to it, it’s really on the towns if they lose money or not, IMO. Blaming RAGBRAI is just convenient and easy.

This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Ken Reed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015