The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Want to join a team that camps (I already have a camper)

This will be my third year riding ragbrai. I have been with two different teams that I enjoyed and made some memories. This year I’m looking to rent a camper and have 4 family members join me. I would love to join a team that allows outsiders in a camper 🙂 IS this even possible or does it exist?

7 Replies

Chris King, January 10, 2019 at 11:56 am

Define camper? You mean an RV, or a pop up that requires towing? If it requires towing are you asking someone to tow it for you? I’m so confused. Either way I’m sure it is possible on Ragbrai and someone will allow it. The 2nd year I went we had two full RV’s about 10+ people, we camped together every night, just parked next to each other. The next year we had one RV and a pop up towed camper.

Just need to make it work. I will let you know once I have my plans secured. I am either using a charter and tent camping or will be an RV with a team.

Tiffiny Atkins, January 10, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Hi Kicks9
Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify that I would be renting an RV so I wouldn’t need any towing capability. My mom and aunt would actually be driving the RV. Since it’s their first time doing so I thought it would be easier on them to be connected with a team who knows the ropes. Look forward to hearing more from you. Thanks for your reply.

Chris King, January 11, 2019 at 8:05 am

It is my preferred way to do Ragbrai. I will keep watch on this thread and once I know if we are doing an RV or not I will let you know. Sounds like my time will be too big for everyone to sleep in the RV, so some will tent camp, but still stay together. Nice to have your own truck with supplies etc…

Where are you coming from?

Tiffiny Atkins, January 15, 2019 at 4:31 pm

I’ll be coming from the quad cities. I live in Wisconsin but RV will be in Davenport.

Evan Guyer, January 27, 2019 at 11:45 am

I’m looking to join someone with a motor home as I can’t sleep in a tent. I have RA and getting up and down to the ground is not easy. I did the last 2 days in 2018, and ride a recumbent trike. Hope to hear from anyone looking for others! Thx

KenH, January 27, 2019 at 2:14 pm

Tiffiny: would your mom and aunt both be willing to drive RVs? If so you’d be welcome to camp next to ours for the week. Most years we split the driving among us but we’re always hoping to find a driver. We generally just camp in the designated RV campground so of course you’re welcome to camp next to us whether you can help us drive or not. We’d be happy to share whatever collective wisdom we’ve gained from the last 6 years. Truth be told you’ll be seasoned RAGBRAI veterans by Wednesday, with or without help.

Evan: I do not know if I will have room for another or not and probably won’t for a couple of months. I also don’t know how I could handle a trike unless you have transportation for it or it breaks down into pieces small enough to fit our cargo bay. We have to take their front wheels off to fit normal bikes in there. But you can contact me in April to see what our plans are.

jay williams, February 2, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Hi Tiffany,
You post is timely, as our RV rental just fell through! We pitch tents outside the RV and just use it for shower, charging phones, etc. Our small team has done Ragbrai for 8 years. We would gladly cover your costs. Please email me at strongbike2@gmail.com to discuss further if you are interested.
J

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013