Waukon to Lansing shortcut

I need to get to Lansing on Saturday as quickly as possible. Does anyone have any information about County Road 9 between these two towns. Decent shoulder? Is this going to be the support crew route? Any information would be helpful.

8 Replies

RoyBoy, July 17, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Route 9 is the support road. Not recommended. Follow the posted route. When the route turns south (right) keep going straight and turn left (north) on Harper Lansing Road. Much safer and only 3 miles more than Route 9. No pass through towns.

BIANCHI-BRETT, July 17, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for the info. My second choice was the route you mentioned.

KenH, July 17, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Sooo, RoyBoy, my team is thinking of doing the reverse because we are driving our own support vehicle and will be down to only two rider/drivers that last day. Of course both of us want to ride those hills because we are both insane! And the scenery is promised to be worth the pain!! So we were thinking of driving the motorhome to Lansing right away Saturday morning and then riding back to Waukon, or the route. I’ve given up on riding back to Waukon on route 9 because of the stated danger of using that route. It might be better going the wrong way as we would be doing but perhaps not.

I had been thinking of taking Harper Lansing to Village Creek Drive to Drake Rd to Elon Dr to pick up as much of the official route as possible. I know there is some gravel on that route. Is it as safe as Harper Lansing to Elon? Terrain wise the part of the route we would miss looks uninteresting so maybe the effort to pick up more of the official route on Elon isn’t worthwhile unless some great food vendor happens to set up in the part we miss….

Any thoughts?

RDaryl Daryl, July 17, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Ken-
Very Surprised that you did not ask Bianchi Brett to drive your support vehicle to Lansing for you.
RD

derek duncan, July 18, 2017 at 9:31 am

[quote quote=1274135]Route 9 is the support road. Not recommended. Follow the posted route. When the route turns south (right) keep going straight and turn left (north) on Harper Lansing Road. Much safer and only 3 miles more than Route 9. No pass through towns.

[/quote]

that route looks mostly flat also.
using the street view on google maps, there’s not much shoulder…. but I’m assuming that would be a fairly lightly traveled road? ( unless you get support vehicles going this way, instead of hwy 9)

KenH, July 18, 2017 at 12:46 pm

R-Daryl Daryl: Well DUUUHHH! I’d claim it was the heat getting to me but it has been nice and cool here the last few days.

BIANCHI-BRETT: So, yeah. If you really need to get to Lansing quickly and don’t care about riding there let me know, maybe we can work out a deal. Our team vehicle is a small Class C motorhome. In RV industry terms it is a 21 footer even though it is 24 feet from bumper to bumper plus a little more for the two bike rack on the back. About the size of a typical urban ambulance. I’ll PM you too.

Ryan Flugge, July 18, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Highway 9 is a state highway, and very heavily traveled. Truthfully with as few roads out of the area, all roads are going to be super busy unless people just stay home. The lansing harper road will be much safer, although will again be very busy if I was to guess

derek duncan, July 18, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I bet there is a large group of ISP and Ragbrai staffers to discourage the above mentioned short cut.

Roads are public, so they cant really keep you off.

I would guess the harper lansing road will get a fair amount of both bike and vehicle traffic.
Just hope there are no accidents.

That is almost certainly the road that a support vehicle would use, if it made the Harper’s Ferry area an unofficial Meeting town…. or pickup town for tired riders.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI