RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Weeklong budget?

Hi!  First timer here.

How much money should I bring along for the week?  I’ll be with Pork Belly.  I won’t be drinking a ton of beer, but I am going to need to eat and I’m sure there will be t-shirts & entertainment, etc.

I’m just looking for some ideas on what others bring.

Thanks!

14 Replies

knees36, May 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

dbrink said: Hi!  First timer here. How much money should I bring along for the week?  I’ll be with Pork Belly.  I won’t be drinking a ton of beer, but I am going to need to eat and I’m sure there will be t-shirts & entertainment, etc. I’m just looking for some ideas on what others bring. Thanks!

dbrink…I usually take about $400 cash with me and have yet to run out of money  by the end of the week.  (I take a credit card along in case of a major expense such as bike repair, etc.)  I’m not a beer drinker so that saves me some bucks, but  I buy and drink several bottles of Gatorade during the ride each day and on occasion will buy water if the situation demands it.  Most of the entertainment will be free to registered riders (I can not remember when   I’ve ever had to pay to get into some RAG entertainment venue in my 30 RAG rides.)  I also buy my eats whenever  I can from local churches, groups, etc., and get by quite well and help out the local folks in the process.   T-shirts are getting more expensive at the bike shops each year…expect to pay about $20 for each t-shirt…but the overnight or pass-through towns usually have shirts touting their “ride theme” for a few bucks less if you’d like to go that way.  Whatever you do have fun on RAGBRAI regardless of the cost (in money that is) ’cause you’ll have to wait another 51 weeks to do RAG in 2012!!!  Cheers.

Michrider !!!, May 18, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I spend a little more than Knees does.  I never keep track of how much, since that would spoil my fun.  I tend to spend a bit more on beer than some.  I figure I’m helping the economy recover!

David Elkow, May 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I have figured about $35/day, however, my team fee (already paid) includes alot of evening beer, water, gatorade, and snacks.  So, $400 is a good budget for the week, plus a credit card available just in case. 

SFC JKL 2, May 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Beer makes a huge difference on spending.  I’ve ranged from $20-$170 depending on how much time was spent in bars/beer gardens.  I try to keep under $500 to include spending on my trip to and from Iowa(3 for 5 officially).  Normally just means I’ll have to be a little more restrained on a couple days.

That’s just for food and beverages (I weigh 240 so I use alot of both).  Souvenirs come out of a seperate fund.

10usstring, May 19, 2011 at 6:20 am

If your with Pork Bellies, the beer in camp is free.  I’ll end up spending more on pie during the week.  $400 for the week should be plenty.

Michrider !!!, May 19, 2011 at 7:21 am

10usstring said: If your with Pork Bellies, the beer in camp is free.  I’ll end up spending more on pie during the week.  $400 for the week should be plenty.

Yes, I’m also with PBV and will be enjoying their beer in camp.  However, the beer gardens and bars in pass thru towns is a bit more expensive! 

RonB, May 19, 2011 at 7:32 am

dbrink,
While you’ve gotten ranges of $400 and up, if you (or others) are worrying about the expense, don’t think that you need to spend that much to have a grand time.  Being with PBV, much of the evening “festivities” are included in the fee you pay to them.  Even if not with PBV, and being somewhat of a tightwad, I find it hard to spend over $40 per day and that’s including a couple of beverages after the ride.  Food & drink are all that is required.  Of course, if you want to “party hardy” or buy a bunch of souvenirs, then the sky is the limit!

KittySlayer, May 19, 2011 at 7:51 am

RAGBRAI is basically the same as an evening at a gentlemens club, everything you want cost money and you dont want to be sliding your card into slot after slot so I carry cash.

Here is my daily budget from  four years ago:

$1 coffee
$6 breakfast
$7 lunch
$10 dinner
$4 snack
$5 soda/gatorade
$20 beer & bloody marys
$5 shower
$2 misc.
$60 TOTAL per day

This is pretty much in line with the $400 number a few have posted. You can get by much cheaper if you want/need to. I understand that showers when riding with PBV as well as PBV beer(?) are now free so that just leaves more money for pie.

Carrying a little extra will take care of things you forget to budget for or come up along the road. Tip for cross state bus driver, killer souvenier, nominal bike parts/repairs and all the other little things that catch your eye.

dbrink, May 19, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the great info and opinions, everyone!

I think $400 will do and I’ll find an ATM if it isn’t enough.

helenheart, May 19, 2011 at 9:01 am

Michrider said: I spend a little more than Knees does.  I never keep track of how much, since that would spoil my fun.  I tend to spend a bit more on beer than some.  I figure I’m helping the economy recover!

Tony, May 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

HH watch how many smiley’s you post. You don’t want to look like the one who shall not be named.

Michrider !!!, May 19, 2011 at 9:41 am

Tony said: HH watch how many smiley’s you post. You don’t want to look like the one who shall not be named.

Tony, you got that one right!!!

jwsknk, May 19, 2011 at 9:43 am

Tony said: HH watch how many smiley’s you post. You don’t want to look like the one who shall not be named.

at least she put them all in one post.

ony $1 coffee? oh that was 4 years ago.

ATM’s often run out of cash. If I eat at a local resturant I try to use plastic when I can and save the cash for the road.

Michrider !!!, May 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

A few years ago a guy posted under the name “Human Animal”.  He did the ride on a very tight budget.  I believe he lost his wallet mid week.  He reported eating out of garbage cans (I’m just saying).  Corner me in a beer garden and I’ll tell you my garbage can story!  His posts were very interesting.  Have not seen him post in a long time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI