Weird thing

This is the weirdest thing that happened to me and my bike. I stopped at Douds for a pit stop. Since my recumbent doesn’t do well with the stretched cable bike stand, I looked for something to lean my bike on.
A street / stop sign looked like a good place. Wrong! I leaned my 19 pound bike against the stop sign and it fell over taking my bike with it. I just stood there in disbelief saying “What . . . WHAT?” As I picked up my bike, locals came over to assess the problem. They teased me about my “heavy bike”. They were able to cut off the bottom of the sign pole and had it remounted in fifteen minutes. My bike seemed OK, so I guess it was no big deal. I feel like it could have been a Candid Camera set up. It certainly surprised me! Now I am pretesting the poles I lean my bike on.

6 Replies

Jon Bubendorfer, August 8, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Funny. Alan Funt (funk?) was hiding nearby.

T. Gap Woo, August 8, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Funny. Alan Funt (funk?) was hiding nearby.

If you remember Allen Funt and Durward Kirby, you’re as old as I am. Darn, we’re as old as dirt!!

I had a similar incident several Ragbrai’s ago. On a hot Iowa day (aren’t they all?), I put down the kickstand and went into a Casey’s. When I came out, my Trek was on its side with the kickstand buried deep in the asphalt parking lot. Now I look for a concrete patch.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

David, August 9, 2019 at 9:35 am

kickstand buried deep in the asphalt

This is why you shouldn’t have a kickstand 😀

jwsknk, August 9, 2019 at 10:02 am

weird? or someone not paying attention.
After coming out of Geode and before the taco church. The driver ed car caught up in the bike traffic. I hope the instructor quickly realized what they did and pulled over and took over the driving until they could get out of it.

LawnchairMan, August 9, 2019 at 11:36 am

Yes, T. Gap,
I had an “Older than Dirt” T-shirt, but wore it out.
I certainly remember Alan Funt and Candid Camera!

And, yes, the asphalt incident was similar.
I’m sure you were as dumbfounded as I.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 9, 2019 at 9:08 pm

There was a bar in my area of northern Wisconsin that was somewhat popular with motorcyclists.  The parking lot was asphalt, so to prevent motorcycles on their kickstands from digging in to the soft asphalt (hey, it can get hot enough at times, even up here in da Nort’, to soften pavement!) he cut up a few sheets of plywood into eight or ten-inch squares and left them scattered around the lot for the riders to put underneath their stands.  Now I don’t think your bike weighs as much as a full-dress Harley, so you can probably get by with just carrying a cheap plastic coaster in your jersey pocket and putting that underneath your kickstand.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014