what a bummer no beer for me anymore. ragbrai without beer?

doctors told me my beer days were over. i never drank a lot anyway, but would drink 1 or 2 after a long bike ride. but the barley and wheat up sets my stomach. i can drink a glass of wine and that’s it. they said i can’t process it anymore. but i might ask them could i drink a light beer maybe 1 in the first town, and 1 at the end of town. any sugestions. is ther any places i could get wine or is it just beer only. and i cant drink any liqure at all.

21 Replies

T. Gap Woo, November 3, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Too bad, so sad about the beer 😭.

I’ve never seen a wine garden or vendor along the route. Not enough business to justify the expense, I suppose.

On a brighter note, Iowa has plenty of wineries. Contact Travel Iowa at this email address: email@traveliowa.com and they will be able to provide you with a list. Once the route is announced, you may find some that are close!

Mrs Woo and I discover new wineries every year. On this last ride, we found the Empty Nest Winery in Waukon. We previously discovered Covered Bridge Winery in Madison County and Wide River Winery in Clinton/LeClaire.

Even if you can’t make it to a Winery, don’t despair. Hyvee has a big wine selection and Casey’s General Store has a smaller, but still decent, selection of fine Iowa wines. There are probably mom-and-Pop shops that sell wine, too. You won’t go thirsty!

See you along the I-O-Way in 2018.

Michrider !!!, November 4, 2017 at 10:06 am

My doctor told me that I did not drink enough beer, so he wrote me a prescription for more beer! When I began to drink more beer my symptoms disappeared. At least I think they did!!!
BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

prince page, November 5, 2017 at 7:44 pm

ha ha!!!!

SFC JKL 2, November 5, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I find a nice snow cone and my flask of moonshine makes for a refreshing afternoon beverage. There’s also lemonade and a few wineries along the way. Names may change, but the song remains the same.

Luv 2 Ski, November 7, 2017 at 10:01 am

PP,

Sounds like you have intolerance to Gluten. I do as well and there are many more beer options now compared to just 5 years ago. Some are made with barley and wheat but have the gluten removed and others are made with Sorghum. Unfortunately the Iowa craft beer truck does not carry any because none of the local breweries make a gluten free beer. At least that is what they told me last year. They do always have a cider that is gluten free but to me that does not qualify as a beer. You may be able to find some in the end towns though.

KenH, November 8, 2017 at 9:58 am

I can honestly say that I have never had a beer that I liked. Unless I was in Germany when I ordered it!

But while I was on a job assignment in England one summer a long time ago I did learn to appreciate the many fine qualities of a good cider. A few years ago the route ran past Sutliff Cider and last year I enjoyed one in a downtown bar in Ottumwa. I’ve always ridden right past the craft beer tents but if they have a good cider on tap just one wouldn’t hurt anything….

Luv 2 Ski, November 8, 2017 at 10:37 am

Ken,

The cider at the Iowa Craft Beer trailer was very good last year. I tried it one day and I think it changes throughout the week as well. You should give it a try. I do enjoy cider but it is not a beer. To me it is as much a beer as a glass of wine.

Good luck with your indoor training time which is fast upon us here in IL.

RDaryl Daryl, November 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Yea, our outdoor beer training is coming to an end for 2017.
I do, however, enjoy a good dark beer while shoveling snow.

KenH, November 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Yeah, I’ll have to stop in at least once next year. I know that cider is not beer, that is why I like cider!!

Michrider !!!, November 8, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Yeah, I’ll have to stop in at least once next year. I know that cider is not beer, that is why I like cider!!

What, cider? That’s just apple juice! I’ll take a beer, thanks!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Kevin D., December 5, 2017 at 2:30 am

I’m also curious about that “cider” drinks.

Denton Kernodle, December 5, 2017 at 5:00 pm

My advice is, Get a new doctor!

Bob Kidd, December 5, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Honey Mead? I keep bees and have made some in the past. Not much to it honey, water and yeast. You can doctor it up for our flavors if you want.

Sandaltan ., December 6, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Dark beer, it goes with my sandals, New Belgium’s 1554 is my favorite. The best selling beer in Iowa is Busch Light which is OK for hot biking days.

RIDE RIGHT

Paul, December 10, 2017 at 6:25 pm

When we carry wine on the bike, it is referred to as “Grandma’s Juice box”.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015