what a bummer no beer for me anymore. ragbrai without beer?

doctors told me my beer days were over. i never drank a lot anyway, but would drink 1 or 2 after a long bike ride. but the barley and wheat up sets my stomach. i can drink a glass of wine and that’s it. they said i can’t process it anymore. but i might ask them could i drink a light beer maybe 1 in the first town, and 1 at the end of town. any sugestions. is ther any places i could get wine or is it just beer only. and i cant drink any liqure at all.

21 Replies

jake d, December 10, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Friends don’t let friends drink Busch Light, regardless of the weather.

Bryan English, January 20, 2018 at 1:39 pm

I’m actually trying to find a non drinking team. Or at least most people are non-drinkers not to be a party pooper I’ve just been sober for two years and I’d like to ride it and not suffer due to a hangover. I want to suffer from hills. I should probably make my own post

Barin Beard, January 23, 2018 at 8:59 am

I drank my last beer in Sept. 2015 (also for health reasons). I rode my first RAGBRAI last year and had a great time riding without beer. I did walk into a bar in West Bend to use an ATM and it was rowdy and fun sounding! So tempting to stay, but I walked out. 🙂

jwo, January 29, 2018 at 12:35 pm

A joint will suffice.

NYC Highwheeler, January 8, 2021 at 2:17 pm

“A joint will suffice.”
Either you are a lifelong total stoner, or you are smoking ditch weed. These days you can get stuff that will do the trick with a couple tokes. If smoking is not your thing, there is a wide variety of edibles.

While I enjoy beer, wine, and the hard stuff, I honestly have trouble drinking much on RAGBRAI. Mostly it is just the logistics. By the time I drink the coffee to get through the mornings, and the gallons of water to survive the 100 degree weather, I’m already spending more then enough time looking for the next kybo. Not an issue out among the cornfields, but a real drag to have to get up and stumble through the campsites at night. I usually bring a little flask of rum or whisky or something to sip, but that is about it.

It’s funny because the “party atmosphere” was one of the things that made me want to come to RAGBRAI in the first place, but I probably drink less on RAGBRAI then in normal life because there is so much going on. Maybe in the future I will go with a team and bus and everything instead of solo with the baggage truck.

Gallagher, January 12, 2021 at 7:56 am

I quit drinking in March 2016 after a long battle with alcohol. Actually, for me anyway, RAGBRAI without drinking is sooooo much better (and this from a guy who drank at every beer garden along the route). I enjoy the ride more, I feel better when I ride and get up in the morning and I sleep better. I drink non-alcoholic beer in my campground at night to make that part feel more normal, but that’s it.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015