What can we do to help Iowans hurt by the historic flooding?

I’m looking forward to my fifteenth ride this year and as I read about all of the flooding in the midwest I started to wonder what the impact will be on my ride this year. And the more I thought about it the more I felt ashamed that I was more concerned about my vacation than the impact of the flooding on all of the people that live there. Aside from making a concerted effort to support local individuals and local vendors, especially in heavily impacted areas, is there anything else that I, or we as a community, can do to help? Let’s be honest,we are going to be a burden when we ride through or near flooded areas. Ideas?

7 Replies

KenH, May 31, 2019 at 9:55 am

The flooding extends well beyond Iowa. The scale of it dwarfs the ability of 10,000 average Joes and Jills to have a significant impact even inside Iowa. But we can spend as freely as we are able at the local vendors and just be nice to those who take the time and make the effort to accommodate us while they are dealing with other, serious, issues. Even if things should fall short of your expectations or previous years’ results just be nice, express your gratitude for the efforts being made on our behalf, and try to make the experience for them a welcome break from their concerns over the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

jwsknk, May 31, 2019 at 11:12 am

so far most of the flooding in Iowa has been along the Missouri River from just above Council Bluffs down. and Davenport ( a lot of that is because several years ago the decided they did not want levees between the river and downtown.) It could still change in the next 7 weeks, around central Iowa things are full but still in their banks. Haven’t heard about any of the towns we are going to with many problems.

Larry Klaaren, June 1, 2019 at 9:07 am

The answer to the question is contact a specific town hall or Chamber to see who is providing effective help, or work through one of your local agencies such as a church that does mission trips. These would be easy calls to make and could direct your energy and finances most effectively. Every person has the power of one, and they add up to a lot.

jwsknk, June 1, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Well that’s changed today. Flash Flooding in Burlington .

Heather, June 1, 2019 at 3:04 pm

That isn’t flash flooding in Burlington. The wall broke. 🙁

jwsknk, June 1, 2019 at 3:46 pm

First report I saw said flash flood until 10 PM. Now I see they say a barrier broke.

allan kokinda, June 2, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Spend money. Look for fund raising signage. Focus on churches and fire department booths rather than for-profit vendors, as these are more apt to provide specific local aid long after we’re gone. Save a bit of extra cash for the last night in Burlington, where cleanup efforts are forecast to be expensive. Dollars will be most welcome i’m sure.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015