What Do You Do For Training?

Just curious. Besides riding, What other types of workouts do you do?

I ride 200-250 miles a week.
I do weight training 4-5 times a week.
To help with my stamina my gym has virtual classes which consistes of Rev Series. Basiacally Spin Classes.

Just looking for a variety of new ideas.

39 Replies

Nico ZZZ, July 7, 2016 at 11:26 am

Not riding near as much as 2014, but feel better than that year. April of 2015 was the evil ankle break – didn’t walk at all for nearly six months. Have been in PT and training non-stop since then.
Training with strength and conditioning coach M-W-F and riding on Saturday and Sunday. Lots of squats and lunges and weights. Core strength is at an all time high level for me. LOTS of flexibility work, foam rolling back and legs every morning and evening is fantastic.
Since I have to ship out my Scott Metrix 10 next week (just picked it up from LBS after a tune-up and tires), I will ride this Saturday and Sunday for the last time until Iowa. I have added in heavy and speed bag training at home (man cave) on Tues & Thurs, and will also hit them on Sat and Sun of the 16th/17th before heading out to the Land of Pork!
Good topic.

KenH, July 7, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Does dancing with your wife at a wedding last weekend count? It’s Chicago, you’re allowed to do that here!

Juan Medium Moose, July 7, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Before my first RAGBRAI, I rode only 500mi including a couple of long rides (50+ miles) before RAGBRAI. I did alright that year. I made it across all of Iowa on a heavy hybrid bike and even did the Karras loop.

…but I learned a few things. The next year I had a lighter-weight bike and I rode 1000mi before RAGBRAI, including a handful of metric centuries. I was a much happier camper my second year.

This year, I am on track to meet that 1000mi mark again, and I have specifically added some challenging hills to my route. I did a two-day, 150mi charity ride to shake out the camping gear and make sure I knew what I needed to pack.

I think that the one most challenging aspect of riding across Iowa isn’t the ride itself, it’s the stress and frustration that comes if you haven’t dealt with the logistics. On the bike, I’m free. In camp at night, if I’m missing something or have some other problem, that’s what wears me down.

Juan Medium Moose, July 7, 2016 at 12:24 pm

@KenH: I lived in the Chicago area for many years. I saw people dance at weddings. I moved to Minnesota.

😉

Van, July 7, 2016 at 1:33 pm

You’ll be well prepared for the ride with one notable concern. Liver Training. Is your liver ready for the trip? Some don’t consume on the ride and I completely respect that. However, I like to partake in all that is BRAI. Have fun and ride right.

RoyBoy, July 7, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Elliptical machine, rowing machine, rope pulls, handball. And dancing.

Gthomp0419, July 7, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Lots of dancing going on here.

powellpd, July 7, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I just got back from today’s 31 mile ride. The heat and humidity was pretty bad!! I’m happy to have had the opportunity to experience these since I might be riding in these conditions. I have a total of 2640 miles of training in since Jan. 1, 2016. I worked with a biking coach for 4 months. Primarily on biking skills and climbing long rollers and hills. I have been riding a route that has me going up 3 steep hills and a number of long rollers. I have worked with a mentor from my bike club who has worked with me on things that would be of help me to ride RAGBRAI. I have been doing long, 50-60 mile rides on the Withlacoochee Trail once a week for the past two months to get some really long rides in. I do feel that I will do OK riding the daily routes and will
have a great time doing the RAGBRAI.

KenH, July 7, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Juan Medium Moose: @KenH: I lived in the Chicago area for many years. I saw people dance at weddings. I moved to Minnesota.

Hey, I didn’t say it was pretty, I said it was exercise! Besides, I’ve seen people dancing at RAGBRAI and I keep coming back…. 😮

Anonymous, July 9, 2016 at 5:01 pm

this is to g home 419, look if your doing that many miles in a week, then you gym work is counter productive. you cant do that much voleume and see any kind of results from strenth and size. i t6rai with some of the best coaches in the country second of all ,i don’t believe your numbers. i am a very experianced weight lifter and cyclist. you cant do both. lance arstrong could not do these numbers either. tyhat’s how i know your lying and if your in the gym your not getting anything done. you dont need to post un true facts.

Nico ZZZ, July 9, 2016 at 6:27 pm

FSU,
So nice to have you on here harassing us all again. Bragging about how you are the bada$$ of all bada$$es. No man has gone so far, so long, so strong, etc etc. We all “suck” because we are liars…hahaha. That is a good one coming from the Blowhard of the Badlands. “The best coaches in the country” – did you watch some Youtube videos and now you are “the Expert”? Go back to your imaginary friends in your imaginary life in Playstation and leave the grown ups alone. Remember, bedtime is at ten; it is a weeknight after all, so you get an extra hour with your imaginary friend “Boo-Boo”. Tomorrow hit your spelling lessons…hard.
Don’t get all mad, crying is for little boys.

Gthomp0419, July 9, 2016 at 6:39 pm

FSU,
You’re a Salty little fucker aren’t you!! You don’t know me or anything about me. Did the kids at school not let you play with them at recess?? I bet you were the bully that got his ass kicked. So sad that your ego is so small probably like your dick. I can tell you’re a real ass!! GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!

Ken, July 9, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Is there a moderator in the house???

Gthomp0419, July 9, 2016 at 9:52 pm

I want to apologize for my lauguage above. If I could i would edit the BAD words.

Brian Wallenburg, July 9, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I hope not! Love it, Gthomp0419

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015