What Do You Do For Training?

Just curious. Besides riding, What other types of workouts do you do?

I ride 200-250 miles a week.
I do weight training 4-5 times a week.
To help with my stamina my gym has virtual classes which consistes of Rev Series. Basiacally Spin Classes.

Just looking for a variety of new ideas.

39 Replies

powellpd, July 11, 2016 at 6:58 am

Daryl- Wonderful suggestions. Being my first RAGBRAI I have appreciated the tips and “words of wisdom” from all you experienced riders. I certainly will do what you have suggested. Put the power on your pedals!! I hope I get the opportunity to meet you on the road. Pam

just randy, July 11, 2016 at 7:23 am

A friend stated many years ago that “you can’t ride slow enough to catch up to the Darrells”. However, if you see TJ & the State Patrol in a pass-through town, you just might find a Derryl.

Gthomp0419, July 11, 2016 at 7:37 am

Amanda,
I do do some core training but not as much as i should. Yes this is my first RAGBRAI and I’m really excited. I am afraid of the heat. Yesterday it was 90 here but felt like 100 due to the humidity. At the end of my ride i was toast. Hope to meet you and some of the other riders that have posted here. Im using PBV this year.

Gthomp0419, July 11, 2016 at 7:40 am

FSU guy has become Anonymous. Did they remove him?? It would be really fun to know his real story.

KenH, July 11, 2016 at 8:15 am

I can’t tell you what the moderators here may have done with regards to him personally. Not because I would have to kill you if I told you, simply because I don’t know, I’m not in the loop. πŸ™‚ I have only my memory to authenticate this but I have seen some of his posts and some responses to his posts removed. I’ve also seen an entirely unrelated thread by entirely different people removed, entirely. So, the moderators are at work on our behalf.

I would suggest that we give them a hand by doing our parts. If he should pop up again (and I suspect he will if he can) why don’t we just treat him the same as we would treat any other reasonable and charitable person here with whom we disagree? I am not convinced that at some level at least he is not a reasonable and charitable person, no matter how different from me he may be. But the responses he has all too often gotten here certainly do not bring out the best in him and frankly they are not our best work either. We can do better and if we do, perhaps he (she?) will do better too. If not, then the moderators can do their job or more likely boredom will set in and venues that are more easily thrown into a tizzy will be sought out.

Would it be fun to know his real story? Perhaps, but it also might be heartbreaking and we might then feel a bit ashamed of how we have reacted. So let’s give him/her the benefit of the doubt from now on. Speak the truth to be sure, but as the Apostle Paul once advised, speak the truth in love.

cronec, July 11, 2016 at 8:17 am

I started my training with a goal of 500 miles before RAGBRAI, and I am at 550 now. I have ridden in wind, heat and humidity, but probably not quite enough hills. Life (specifically my job) continues to interfere with my riding plus where I live has made it a challenge to find hills, but I am hoping the ones I have done along with the headwinds I have encountered will get me to each pass through town. I just keep telling myself that every 10-20 miles I will be able to get off my bike, rest and recover a little before tackling the next 10-20 miles.

This will be my first RAGBRAI and hopefully not the last! I have enjoyed reading all the advice and comments form each of you. I am sure I will see you riding……just won’t know it!!

BillSpriggs, July 11, 2016 at 9:55 am

KenH – I’ve enjoyed your posts and your wisdom. The best we can do with our friend FSU is to simply ignore him. Your a great ambassador for RAGBRAI. Thanks for the thought and time you’ve put into your posts, they are truly worth taking the time to read. See you in Iowa.

Juan Medium Moose, July 11, 2016 at 11:26 am

For those who take their training seriously:

I don’t want to change your mind. Training is part of the fun of the whole experience. Just don’t think you have to use all of that training when you’re actually riding. You certainly have my permission (my encouragement!) to fly past me on the ride if you like. I’ll cheer you on.

…but don’t miss Iowa. Take time to meet the people, view the scenery, snap photos of the wildflowers, pee in the cornfields, get soaked in the rain, eat the food, and whatever else will make this a memorable trip for you. You can make RAGBRAI a challenge like a triathlon, if you want, but there’s a lot of opportunity to enjoy it in a variety of ways.

I was really worried about “being ready” for my first RAGBRAI. I didn’t do nearly as much training as I do now and I had no idea what it would be like. I was a lousy camper, too. I still made it all the way across, even did the Karras loop, and enjoyed myself so much that I came back for more. Sit back, relax, and just enjoy the ride. πŸ™‚

BillSpriggs, July 11, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Juan – You are dead on. My first year, 2013, I made the typical rookie mistake and rode way too fast. Last year I made an effort to slow down and still rode too fast. I’m going to try to slow down this year, It is somewhat a little more difficult for me as I am riding solo. My advise, slow down and enjoy the experience.

Viewing 9 replies - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015