Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

What happens if someone misses the baggage truck?

I’ve ridden 5 times, always with a charter. They do a great job of jousting everyone to get a move-on. My 22 year old son has ridden with me 3 of those years, the first time when he was 13. He also rode as a bagger (with wristband) one year because he likes to sleep in. Anyway, he has organized a team of about 10 college friends who are going to ride this year. He’s the only one who has any distance riding experience. They won’t use a charter because they are on a budget (probably need to save money for beer). And other than my son, they aren’t experienced enough riders for them all to carry their own gear. So the baggage truck is their only option.

But I cautioned him that oversleeping is NOT an option. Just curious though…what happens when someone misses the truck? Has to have occurred – probably happens several times each year. And assume that the rider doesn’t have an adequate rack & panniers to tough it out for the day. What actually happens? Is begging and pleading (or bribing) some late departing team to do you a solid the only option?

23 Replies

Anonymous, April 19, 2021 at 11:06 am

Even as someone who packs and bags it, being one of the last people to leave is icky! You’ll eventually catch up with people.

Norm Ovens, April 19, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Good luck finding an Uber driver in 85% of where you’ll be during RAGBRAI, or LYFT. Some of these towns, even the larger ones, barely have taxi service, that’s if you even have cell reception.

Dan Broggi, April 19, 2021 at 3:41 pm

It’s pretty hard to miss the baggage truck. You get up, throw the bag on the truck, then continue sleeping if it’s been a rough night. I also ride with the racks on my bike and put everything in 2 panniers. I strap them together with my tent and put them on the truck. There have been times where we’ve had to ride quite a way to get where we were staying and was glad to be able to put the bags on the bike instead of having to walk with a huge duffle. Guess this would work if I missed the truck too!

Wendy Fedler, April 21, 2021 at 9:36 am

During a normal year, I would advise them to send a scout to ride around town looking for a party bus (independent teams who schlep their own team’s stuff and are almost always willing to pick up a stray, though they may charge a small fee or hold some sort of “initiation” ritual). There would normally be party busses scattered around town into late-morning. However, many of those party teams (including mine) will likely be opting out this year due to logistical nightmares. We’re used to finding host houses/yards, which will be scarce this year. That said, it’s still the best advice I would give in this situation. They surely won’t be the only ones who party hard and sleep late.

reddog1, April 21, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Some team will take you in and deliver your stuff. We have done it for several people and free of charge. You won’t have a problem

Sandaltan ., April 21, 2021 at 2:23 pm

If you miss the truck or have a major mechanical problem find a way to the local Hy-Vee Grocery. There will be three or four or maybe half a dozen team busses in the parking lot plus a handful of other support vehicles parked while drivers replenish supplies and enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

RIDE RIGHT

Kelley Peel, April 21, 2021 at 3:18 pm

I am so sorry to bother you, but I can not figure out how to post on the forum. Could you help me?
Thank you, Kelley

William Mugan, April 22, 2021 at 4:56 pm

Kelley Peel,
You must log in with your RAGBRAI Account before you can post.
Good luck.

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI