What is one thing you hate on RAGBRAI?

Headwind. Absolutely HATE headwind. >:(

32 Replies

Luv 2 Ski, January 30, 2018 at 10:48 am

Not much to hate about RAGBRAI IMO. It is all good.

When I first saw this tread I was wondering how long it would take before the hate for Pacelines would show up. Pacelines are a part of cycling and it does not mean those riding in a Paceline are racing. As SFC JKL2 and Lm M said if everyone would ride right and leave the left open for faster riders who ride alone, or ride in a Paceline then Pacelines would not be an issue. Regardless of your experience level everyone on RAGBRAI should ride as far right as possible based on the speed you are going and the speed of those around you. If you do not like pacelines than stay out of them and move to the right. Additionally never ride in a paceline with people you do not know, that can lead to issues.

I personally see more issues with less experienced riders who are all over the road than those riding in Pacelines. In fact last year the one time I was involved in a multiple tire bump it was in the middle of the road and someone jammed on their brakes and created an issue. I took hits from people swerving in front of me and from others behind who were not paying attention. I do not know how my bike survived, and I am lucky I did not go down which would have really created a total mess.

Ken Reed, January 30, 2018 at 11:01 am

The epically long kybo lines.

Melinda Blankenhorn, January 30, 2018 at 11:04 am

I was a RAGBRAI ‘virgin’ last year and AWLAYS stayed on the right. However, I was told by a RAGBRAI official that most of the accidents were from pacelines and that they were not allowed on RAGBRAI.

Denton Kernodle, January 30, 2018 at 11:16 am

I loved everything about 2017 RAGBRAI, however I would like to find better coffee in the morning!

Mike Howe, January 30, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I hate the people that mistaken riders yelling “on your left/right” as being rude. No, theyre yelling it so you can hear it and actually looking out for your safety. Oh and im ok with people listening to music….but it seems everyone listens to only AC/DC?????

francoisvanzyl, January 30, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Nothing really, I love all of it. A bit frustrating sometimes finding the camp ground. Those poles get loaded with signs. As for music, if I don’t like somebody’s tunes, I just slow down or speed up no biggie. One thing I always wonder about, why on earth are Americans so into Sweet Caroline?

This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by francoisvanzyl.

mclousing, January 30, 2018 at 12:56 pm

People that believe when they yell on your left means that I need to move right. That means that I need to hold my line as they pass on the left.

T. Gap Woo, January 30, 2018 at 1:39 pm

No matter how much I train, whether it’s saddle time on the trainer in winter to toughen up the sit bones or roadwork in the spring and early summer to build up endurance for the miles and hills, there is one thing I can’t train for and truly dislike.

I hate riding downhill into a valley and then uphill out of the valley when there is a hog farm or cattle feedlot straddling the valley. Ever notice how the stink hangs in the air and never dissipates until you crest the hill?

My only solace is that, to the hog and cattle ranchers, this is the sweet smell of money in their business.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by T. Gap Woo.

KenH, January 30, 2018 at 1:45 pm

We love Sweet Caroline because the Iowa State Police will not let us play Sweet Home Alabama in the state of Iowa anymore!

I’m sitting here, trying really hard, and I’ve got nothing to hate about RAGBRAI. Even if I did I would choose not to hate it because chances are RAGBRAI would be diminished without it.

Archy Texas, January 30, 2018 at 2:08 pm

When I said pacelines, I fully expected the paceline lovers to tell me how I am wrong. Of course, if you hate something, no amount of mansplaining is going to make you unhate. My hatred may have to do with the concept that very purpose of pacelines are to conserve energy and go faster – the very antithesis of RAGBRAI, which is enjoy the moment with other 25K other people and pee in a cornfield for a week. Rarely do I see chilled pacelines with people enjoying the moment as they are usually hell bent on getting somewhere as fast and efficiently as possible (sounds like racing to me). If I went to a race and rode it like RAGBRAI, people would hate me. I would not try to tell them they are wrong.

Nico ZZZ, January 30, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Weak Bloody Marys.
(BTW, the vast majority are marvelous! I especially love the local bars last year that gave you a half glass of vodka and ice, and then let you build your own at the Bloody Mary Workstation!)

tedras10, January 31, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Pacelines/Ride Right is such a subjective thing. Is a paceline 3 guys riding superfast racing through groups passing everyone on the right, left and middle, or is it a team of 12 people riding 2 wide chugging along at 15 mph deep in conversation? Is it everything in between? Does Ride Right mean I hold my line or does it mean I slide over? For risk of being accused of mainsplaining, I will leave those debates for another day.

Ultimately it seems to that the thing most people hate, other than lines, comes down to “I want everyone to ride the way I ride, or the way I think they should ride.” Opinions on enjoyable pace, movement across the road, music tastes and volume, pacelining, etc are very much dependent on the comfort and level of rider and what they want out of their own RAGBRAI.

Ultimately, the thing I hate on RAGBRAI is people who are being selfish/impolite/discourteous to other riders. Some common sense and decency goes a long way.
– If there is no one around you, please move to the right side of the road.
– Don’t go 45 mph down a hill and then stay all the way left when you quickly gear down and start riding 4.5 up the hill.
– If I want to go faster and ask for room to pass, please give it without yelling at me for being rude.
– If you want to pass me just ask don’t scream at me or just push by.
– Play music that is family friendly, whether it is early morning or late afternoon – avoid obscenity laced music.
– Try your best to hold a steady line.
– Ride safe if you’ve been overserved; don’t endanger other riders in any way if you have overdone it.
– Offer to help those you can.
– Please wear a helmet – I will worry about you if you don’t and that will make me a bit sad 🙁

RAGBRAI is an amazing week where everyone is incredibly friendly and trusting to each other in every town along the way, but it seems our car roadrage mentality is slipping into the biking aspect. Be polite and respect everyone’s right to ride their bike as they want – slow/fast, bikinis/jorts, early/late, with music/quiet.

Be safe, be polite, have a little patience and enjoy the ride!

swiifg, January 31, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Those few individuals who ride left of the yellow center line, then yell at the oncoming motorist because their car doesn’t move further to the shoulder. Since the roads are not closed to autos, we are to keep our bikes on the right of center when there is oncoming traffic. These individuals probably don’t understand – episodes like that are also why some Iowa residents don’t like RAGBRAI coming through.

Bob Kidd, January 31, 2018 at 6:59 pm

The last day knowing it would be a whole year before I would be back.

jpclark7, February 4, 2018 at 8:39 pm

I would also like to add: no showers in the morning. I know many people who can just get up and go, but I like to ride fresh! In 2016, it seemed like every morning there were showers. In 2017, I could only count 1 day with showers in the morning.

Hate me all you want! 🙂

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015