Join Us in July - Register Today!

What is riding Bandit?

Sorry, first timer….I assume it is riding without a wristband?

71 Replies

Michrider !!!, June 13, 2011 at 6:46 pm

pbknowles said: Sorry, first timer….I assume it is riding without a wristband?

You are correct!  A bandit rides the route and uses services paid for by the registired riders!  

#26648

“Bicycle Bill”, June 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Michrider said:

pbknowles said: Sorry, first timer….I assume it is riding without a wristband?

You are correct!  A bandit rides the route and uses services paid for by the registired riders!  

Kaintucky spelling, mich, or a Freudian slip?

-“BB”-

#26649

cyclingdogz, June 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Thats a dirty word around here.

#26650

jake d, June 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm

  Well put Michrider.  Except you you left out the part about Bandits nitpicking the services they don’t use to justify making no attempt to pay at all. Never taking into consideration that someone had to foot the bill for this party or their sorry a## wouldn’t be here in the first place. 

For the record, if you made an honest attempt to register, or otherwise obtain a tag, you are not a Bandit.      

#26651

pbknowles, June 14, 2011 at 5:06 am

Oh I have a tag, just ran into the term a few times and wondered….

#26652

Michrider !!!, June 14, 2011 at 5:27 am

         BANDIT?

#26653

fleetmack, June 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

it’s someone who has homes to stay at, showers to use, separate trucks to haul their gear, pay more to get into night events, doesn’t apply for an official ticket so that someone who needs the services can use them instead since not everyone who wants a wristband can get one, and who makes a $100 donation to the american red cross in RAGBRAI’s name to make up for not paying the registration fee

#26654

Satman, June 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

fleetmack said: it’s someone who has homes to stay at, showers to use, separate trucks to haul their gear, pay more to get into night events, doesn’t apply for an official ticket so that someone who needs the services can use them instead since not everyone who wants a wristband can get one, and who makes a $100 donation to the american red cross in RAGBRAI’s name to make up for not paying the registration fee

Sounds like that person doesn’t need RAGBRAI at all.  Why do you go?

#26655

RonB, June 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

Satman said:

fleetmack said: it’s someone who has homes to stay at, showers to use, separate trucks to haul their gear, pay more to get into night events, doesn’t apply for an official ticket so that someone who needs the services can use them instead since not everyone who wants a wristband can get one, and who makes a $100 donation to the american red cross in RAGBRAI’s name to make up for not paying the registration fee Sounds like that person doesn’t need RAGBRAI at all.  Why do you go?

And trying to justify his actions.  Fleetmack, do you use any Kybos?  Listen to any “free” entertainment?  Cross any roads where police are stationed at for traffic control?  Take any free water being offered by the towns?  and so on and so on…………. Just curious.

#26656

benherr, June 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm

The long and short of it is : if you ride Ragbrai, you are using their services.

#26657

KittySlayer, June 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm

fleetmack said: it’s someone who…

does not pay for the ride. The donation may ease his conscious but what he is doing is still wrong and it is people like him that make the logistics of events like RAGBRAI a nightmare to plan. 

Of course if fleetmack chooses a different week of the year to make his trek across the state then he truely does not use the RAGBRAI services and is a noble and independent individual.

#26658

jwo, June 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Mack, have you ever had any of the vendors or small town merchants turn down your money since you didn’t have a wrist band on? Of course not. They could give a rats a$$ if you are a bandit or not. Do you pay the extra $$ to enter the beer tents and concerts? Sure you do. Does your support vehicle pay gas taxes in Iowa every time gas is purchased? Sure it does. Sounds kind of like free enterprise to me. Maybe the Federal Government should take notes.

#26659

dc, June 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Answer:  possibly more fun than the ride itself. 

I’ll start a couple days early and end 2 or 3 days before Ragbrai ends.  I might see the route around the Carroll area, I might not.  Kinda depends how long we stay in Breda. 

I’ll sleep wherever I get to that day and stop wherever the bike takes me.  My bike will be heavy, but I won’t be concerned about how fast I go.  Hopefully no one sneaks a 20 pound rock into one of my bags… again.

If I do see the route, it’ll be the day before the ride goes through or long after the mass has left.  I won’t have any lines to wait in, nor will I have any traffic to contend with.

That’s my version of Ragbrai – that’s how I like it.  Maybe I’m not entitled to call it Ragbrai since I won’t officially be on the ride, nor will I have a wristband.  But I will be on my bike in Iowa during the 4th week of July.  Bandit?  Call me whatever you want.

#26660

pmac, June 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Geez, buy a wristband and ride with a clear conscious.  It won’t break the bank and you’ll be doing the right thing.  But now that pro-bandit/anti-bandit controversy is back in full swing, is it time to start the Lance wantabees in pacelines forum battle?  Must be getting close to July!

#26661

Michrider !!!, June 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I’ll even buy the “Bandit” a beer on the Kurbs of Iowa!  I’m sure there’s only one!!!!  I might even try to talk him/her out of this bandit thing.  Either way, we’ll drink a few and have a few laughs! 

#26662

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters