What is something unusual (or crazy/craziest) thing you've done on RAGBRAI?

In 2016, I woke FREEZING, snuck into the school, and slept IN the sauna (of course, ON!)

14 Replies

scottonbike, February 7, 2018 at 6:10 pm

When the little kids or adults want to spray you with water so I spray them with water from my water bottle. A guy behind me watched me do that and he was laughing so hard I thought he could have a heart attack. Last year, after utilizing the cornfields I would run out fields like somebody or something was chasing me………..good times.

MadRanger, February 8, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Repeatedly, rode full-speed straight down the middle of the rumbles yelling R-U-U-U-U-M-M-M-B-B-B-U-U-L-S-S-S-S !!

It definitely surprises other riders, and shakes anything the least bit loose off your bike. Not that there’s anything loose on your bike 😉

SFC JKL 2, February 8, 2018 at 9:51 pm

One of our first years we camped in the corner of a park in a space that was too small for our group. They set shower up in the grass strip between the sidewalk and the street. It was literally tied to a stop sign. Nothing like being naked while people are walking on both sides of you.

jwsknk, February 8, 2018 at 10:34 pm

Skunk band. We would haul our instruments one day a week. Okay if you play domething small. Percussion on the other hand had to pull a burley with a kids trap set,

“Bicycle Bill”, February 9, 2018 at 12:07 am

Soggy Monday, back in 1981. It was about 9:00 AM and I had toughed it out as far as Schleswig. Found a bar downtown to hole up in and try to get dry and warm … and I wasn’t the only one. To say that the owner wasn’t ready for the onslaught would have to rank among the Top Ten Understatements of All Time — he was being run ragged, so I asked him to give me an apron, a bar-rag, and a tray, and I would help out by picking up and bringing the empty glasses back from the tables.

Well, some of the other riders thought I was one of the regular help and tried to place orders with me. At first I kept explaining that I too was just another rider ducking the weather, but after a while I figured I could make like a waitress and relay the orders, let the regular bartender pour the beer or make the drinks, then take them back and collect for them. That worked for about a half-hour or so before he noted that I probably knew how to tap a beer or open a bottle or can … then, rather than giving him the money and waiting while he’d ring it up, showed me how to run the cash register.

Every so often I’d peek out the window to see if the rain was letting up (it wasn’t), so I just kept on doing what I was doing. Finally, about 2:30 or so, things were starting to slow down as people began finding rides to Lake City and he asked me how I was planning to get there. When I told him that I guessed I’d have to brave the elements, he told me one of his relatives had a pickup truck, was going to take some others the rest of the way, and that there would be room for me if I wanted to take advantage of it.

Now, people had been paying up to $30-$40 each for a ride in the back of a truck, exposed to the weather, so I asked how much he’d need. The bar owner told me that I’d ride for free; then, when the guy with the truck was ready to leave he actually APOLOGIZED because I’d have to ride in the back of an open pickup, gave me a big plastic garbage bag so I could keep somewhat dry, and told me to help myself to a 12-pack of beer on the way out.

Did I mention that he also didn’t charge me one red cent for any of the pop or the occasional beer I had while I was helping?

-“BB”-

Tawnia Laconca, April 25, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I can’t say. Haha.

rjjensenia, April 26, 2018 at 9:30 am

The Mayor of Ionia was a bit tipsy and decided to hold a mass wedding ceremony. 15 to 20 couples got married, We had amass divorce ceremony a couple hours later. This was on Ragbrai V

“Bicycle Bill”, April 29, 2018 at 2:44 am

“…decided to hold a mass wedding ceremony. 15 to 20 couples got married, We had amass divorce ceremony a couple hours later.”

But what was going on during those couple of hours in between?

Joe Chavis, May 13, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Heimlich maneuver on a gentleman who was having a spot of bother.

Sandaltan ., May 13, 2018 at 5:43 pm

……………rode RAGBRAI the second time.

RIDE RIGHT

LawnchairMan, May 13, 2018 at 8:44 pm

I guess mine would be crashing and getting back on the bike. Then spending the rest of the week on crutches. In 2015 I crashed at three and a half miles into the ride. First day, still in Sioux City. I had to straighten out my steering and tweak the bike in other places. My right knee was sore and bleeding. A towns person helped bandage my leg, and then I got back on. I remember climbing using mostly my left leg and groaning as my right went around. I heard a nearby rider say that recumbents must be too much work. As I neared the top of the hill I got a traffic cone caught under me and it caused me to tip over. Wasn’t going fast, so I don’t claim that as a crash. Still took it as a sign to stop.
Found out later that my kneecap was cracked. Had to use crutches and keep my leg straight, so getting in / out of my tent was a challenge.

This was unusual too. One day I was determined to put up my tent by myself. I did it mostly laying down, dragging myself to stake it down, then hopping to pull the tent up and fasten the clips. Took about an hour, but I succeeded!

Part of my job in Vegas is to set up microphones, but the next year I was in front of the mic at Ragbrai. I’m not used to that, but I had to thank everyone for all the help I’d received in ’15. Both charter staff and customers helped me, from tying shoe laces, setting my tent, to buying me pain killers. The support was awesome!

This wasn’t crazy like wearing only a fig leaf, but it was unusual. Check this video. Ragbrai vs Hawaii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWHP9FleUks

Lodie, May 14, 2018 at 11:47 am

If anyone is interested, I am trying to find willing souls for a little something different this year. Nothing creepy, you must like to dance. PM me if interested.

Tom Holland, May 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Took a picture for a team (who shall remain anonymous) when they dropped their drawers against an old barn along the route.

Sam, May 15, 2018 at 3:45 pm

We spray-painted an Irishman silver (at least the backside of him) when he was passed-out outside a Casey’s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015