What is your favorite pie??

What is your favorite pie on RAGBRAI??
I love pie, but my favorite is a big slice of homemade apple with a crunchy sugar top and caramel, served hot with ice cream.

Lost and Found Adventures Charter/Team.

14 Replies

Anonymous, March 15, 2020 at 11:19 am

I have not tasted my favorite as of yet. But I must say, I will pedal forward on and on and stop at every pie stand I see. If I proclaimed a favorite I would not have to seek out pie near or far. I would probably upset some as well such as my wife, mother or other bakers of pie. I know your question was simple Kelli but when it comes to pie, well ….

bmyoungberg, March 15, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Peach is my favorite as it is hard to find otherwise. A traditional apple is always a standard though.

Steve Medanic, March 15, 2020 at 4:32 pm

Cherry pie is my favorite. I also like Dutch Apple.

SFC JKL 2, March 15, 2020 at 7:19 pm

The simple answer is rhubarb. The best piece of pie I ever had on Ragbrai was blueberry. I came up to a stand on a lovely 100 degree day and they had just pulled out some pies that were completely frozen. I ate it like a popcicle. The best ever.

T. Gap Woo, March 15, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Decisions! Decisions!

Mrs Woo and I prefer pies made from fruit picked in-season right off the farm. We go to the local “U-pick” orchards in the area. None of that canned stuff for us! 🤢.

Mrs Woo bakes the best pies! Granddaughter Woo is learning how to bake, so the tradition is passing down to another generation.

We are partial to strawberry (with and without rhubarb), apple, blueberry, cherry, peach and pumpkin. Fortunately, we live in an area where we can always find in-season fruit.

The last time we visited the Woo children down south, we bought a bag of Georgia pecans. They made a most delicious pie. While traveling through Pennsylvania Dutch country recently, we sampled Amish wet-bottom shoo-fly pie. Yum!

My favorite pie? That’s like asking a father to name the child he loves best. Unfair question!! TBH, my favorite pie is the one on the plate in front of me! 😋.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Amanda, March 16, 2020 at 9:10 am

I am not a fan of 2 crust pies. SORRY!!! But that way there is more for the rest of you! I do like coconut creme pie and it was easy to find when Lance was riding – since it’s his favorite too.

Eric Smith, March 16, 2020 at 10:44 am

Gooseberry.. but I doubt I’ll see any!

cyduke, March 16, 2020 at 12:28 pm

A little over 20 years ago while riding RAGBRAI,and eating a lot of pie, a buddy, and I came up with a pie song after “American Pie”
My, my Scott is the pie guy.
He really likes the cherry, and the rhubarb is alright
Little old ladies asking which one he’ll buy, and Scott says “this will be the pie that I buy”.

Ashley Polkinghorn, March 16, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Eric,
There’s an Amish pie stop most days that usually sells gooseberry pie (really top-notch stuff, too). Watch for the “Amish Pie and Ice Cream” sign.

Personally, I love double-crusted fruit pies the most (but I don’t get cherry on Ragbrai; it’s always canned. And I’m careful about peach). I also love all the other pies.

mcdermott1, March 16, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Wow , tough question …. I’d say at the Amish stands with the home made ice cream i like the apple , then on the second stop blueberry . But at the church ladies I like to go with the strawberry reubarb! But then again the church ladies have great pecan pie too ! ….such a hard decision…. it’s the only stress I have on Ragbrai , trying to pick one ! LOL

Ashley Polkinghorn, March 17, 2020 at 2:37 pm

I agree that rhubarb’s always a great bet. And I’ve had some great blueberry pies on Ragbrai!

Honestly, there aren’t a lot of pies I’d turn down unless I already had a slice in my hand.
@piesofragbrai is where I document my intense love of pie by bike. If you’re posting reminiscences (or bragging about your baking) please tag me! I’d sure enjoy it right now.

Larry Klaaren, March 18, 2020 at 9:27 am

In 2018 we had an ice cream tournament. We picked four Beekman’s flavors and had one each day from Monday thru Thursday. Then we picked the better Mon-Tues flavor and had that Thursday, then the better Wed-Thurs flavor and had that Friday. Then we picked the winner and had that Saturday. Bummer was we did not see Beekman’s on Saturday. I heard they went to a fair for that short day. So we had Amish. You could do something similar with pies. Pick some novel flavors like sour cream or gooseberry. Kind of fun for a group, and made for some interesting discussions.
Last year we found a soda fountain or an ice cream place in every town and had root beer floats before we pitched tents and showered.

SFC JKL 2, March 18, 2020 at 8:43 pm

So which flavor won? Did you know you can get different flavors in the same cup? IE, for three scoops you can get three of the four flavors.

Larry Klaaren, March 19, 2020 at 9:50 am

So which flavor won?

I actually don’t remember for sure, but I think it was peach. It was not vanilla or chocolate. I think it got a couple of novelty votes. About getting multiple scoops, we had a budget conscious person, and one scoop is enough for some people.

This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Larry Klaaren.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015