Join Us in July - Register Today!

What to carry on bike?

Hello All,
     New to Ragbrai this year.  I’d like to know what gear you carry on your bike (besides spare tube and air) and how do your carry it?  How many water bottles?  Snacks?  Raingear?  Thanks

93 Replies

Michrider !!!, February 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm

One power bar in my pocket just in case.  Yes, I carry some type of raingear.  Usually vest and arm warmers.  A few tools; multi-tool, allen wrenches & small vice grips.  I usually carry 2 tubes, co-2, small camera, 2 water bottles.   I think that’s it!

turtlemom, February 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I would add to that a First Aid kit(I am quite accident prone)! Didn’t usually bother with a snack, they are never far away on Ragbrai. Also only had one bottle, I noticed many people had two but I just figured the second one would get warm and also cold water was never far away either. Didn’t have all the tools cause I wouldn’t know what to do with them anyway, figured I would rely on the kindness of strangers!

Cathy Veal, February 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm

and because I’m a redhead I carry sunblock at all times. and a small pad of paper with short pencil, plus some TP.
Is It Summer?

turtlemom, February 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Oops, forgot the sunscreen. We used tons last summer, but forgot one thing, the lips! I have never sunburned my lips before and damn did it hurt!  SPF 30 lip balm is now always in my pack! 

Gypsy Rose, February 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm

turtlemom said: Didn’t have all the tools cause I wouldn’t know what to do with them anyway, figured I would rely on the kindness of strangers!

Items that would be helpful, even when relying on the kindness of strangers, would be a couple of parts that are common to failure – a spare tube and a few spokes (at least one of each length used in your wheels). That way, when the good Samaritan mechanic stops to lend a hand (and tools) you’ll have the right sizes for him/her to install.

Best,
~ Kevin

turtlemom, February 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I know I was highly ill prepared in that respect! I did have tubes and CO2 but now idea what to do with them. Luck was with me that week, but I am better prepared now when I hit the trail.

Amanda, February 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I always have Money, ID and cellphone. I have to know where my Fungis sisters are!! And of course, tube,  sunscreen, lip balm and2 water bottles. This year I will put my arm warmers in my bag and leave them in there. NOTHING is worse than not being prepared for rain. YUCK

Gypsy Rose, February 4, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Amanda said: I always have Money, ID and cellphone.

The last time I did RAGBRAI it was pre-digital age. We relied on message boards to communicate with friends along the way. Are those boards yet another relic of the past?

For many, I imagine that the cell phone/smart phone doubles as a camera. And, speaking of electronics, don’t forget a set of spare batteries.

~ Kevin

Just Krusin, February 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Just carry what you would carry on any old 20-30 mile ride.  Remember each day is several short 15-30 mile rides interrupted with stops in towns.  Rain gear yes, and most certainly 2 water bottles.  Does anyone remember the death march to Audubon several years ago?

Michrider !!!, February 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Just Krusin said: Just carry what you would carry on any old 20-30 mile ride.  Remember each day is several short 15-30 mile rides interrupted with stops in towns.  Rain gear yes, and most certainly 2 water bottles.  Does anyone remember the death march to Audubon several years ago?

Yes, it was hot and far between water and I had 2 water bottles!  I stopped in a front yard and the guy was giving away beer!!!

Davy Sprocket, February 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I carry no water and no snacks, but do pack 2-3 tubes (1 for me and 2 for others), a tire pump and tire patch kit along with a multi-tool, spoke wrench and pressure gauge.  I also pack an MP3 player & compact camera and nothing else.  Rain gear?  nope!  No need.  You get wet regardless so why bother and be hot.  I enjoy the rain.

Davy Sprocket, February 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Just Krusin said:
Does anyone remember the death march to Audubon several years ago?

I do and I was just fine without any water bottles.  You will find one on my bike, but it is for my wife, not me.  I also made that ride with a broken elbow 2-days after reconstructive surgery.  No problem.  Heck, I rode home after the crash that shattered my helmet and elbow.  I say, suck it up and ride!

Papa T, February 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Bike Iowa has a packing list that is legend!

only 12 fortnites!  Did I mention I cannot wait?

Just Krusin, February 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

I agree that you really don’t need rain gear, usually, but there have been times when that extra ‘warm’ protection was needed.  I remember once we rode from Newton to Pella and along the way a storm hit and it felt like the temp dropped into the 50’s and hail was coming down, also the rain gear can be put on to keep you warm when you stop.  To each his own and hopefully riders have enough experience to know what to wear, which means riding in crap weather is needed.

Michrider !!!, February 5, 2011 at 11:25 am

Just Krusin said: I agree that you really don’t need rain gear, usually, but there have been times when that extra ‘warm’ protection was needed.  I remember once we rode from Newton to Pella and along the way a storm hit and it felt like the temp dropped into the 50’s and hail was coming down, also the rain gear can be put on to keep you warm when you stop.  To each his own and hopefully riders have enough experience to know what to wear, which means riding in crap weather is needed.

I has been my experience that I’ll find rain if I’m not packing rain gear.  Last year, the day out of Waterloo was wet and cold.  I believe that was the coldest I’ve ever been on any ride in July! 

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters