RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

What to carry on bike?

Hello All,
     New to Ragbrai this year.  I’d like to know what gear you carry on your bike (besides spare tube and air) and how do your carry it?  How many water bottles?  Snacks?  Raingear?  Thanks

93 Replies

turtlemom, February 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Amanda said: Last year, leaving Waterloo, I thought I had better grab my jacket but opted not to. Too much of a hassle getting it out of my luggage. After riding over an hour, I though I was going to freeze. Some wonderful fellow biker gave me a garbage bage and told me to put it under my shirt so it wouldn’t flap in the wind. I looked  Note to self. DONT leave camp on a rainy looking morning without the proper garments!

Last year, I had the same experience, but a nice man in our group convinced me that we should go to the hassle of getting our coats. Soooo glad we did. Not standard, but we wore hoodies and when the rain finally hit full force we put on our major el cheapo ponchos. Didn’t know to wear inside the coat, was told I looked like an angel with my flowing poncho! But we never were cold!

#14090

“Bicycle Bill”, February 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm

rfattic said: It can get cold in Iowa in July.  I remember riding “Soggy Monday” when it rained and temps droped into the 30’s or 40’s I was COLD, wet and glad when my sag showed up and I got in and warmed up.  That was my worst day of riding in my riding history.  I have ridden TOSRV several times when it rained all the 105 miles on Sat.  They were never as bad as “Soggy Monday”

rfattic, I might have shared a TOSRV or two with you.  Were you ever involved with the “Chicago Sag Wagon” (a chartered Trailways bus) back in the late 1970s – early 1980s?

-“BB”-

#14091

rfattic, February 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm

“Bicycle Bill” said:

rfattic said: It can get cold in Iowa in July.  I remember riding “Soggy Monday” when it rained and temps droped into the 30’s or 40’s I was COLD, wet and glad when my sag showed up and I got in and warmed up.  That was my worst day of riding in my riding history.  I have ridden TOSRV several times when it rained all the 105 miles on Sat.  They were never as bad as “Soggy Monday”

rfattic, I might have shared a TOSRV or two with you.  Were you ever involved with the “Chicago Sag Wagon” (a chartered Trailways bus) back in the late 1970s – early 1980s?-“BB”-
At the time I lived in the Dayton area and drove up for the ride.  Usually rode with my brother and others from Toledo and Columbus.  Not all of the Sat. rides were in rain but most were.  I never had the privilege of riding when it snowed.  Most of the time it rained only one of the two days and some time there was sun both days.

#14092

SFC JKL 2, February 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I use a seatpost rack and trunk bag because I carry alot of give-away stuff.  Multitool, 2 tubes, air, zip ties, butt butter, sun screen.  Cell phone and billfold in ziplocks.  Rain jacket if it is raining when we take off in the morning or it’s cold.  Otherwise I always have a couple trashbags to use if it rains on the road (and a spare to give to someone in need).

Two bottles are good bacause sometimes one wasn’t enough between towns.  I hate camelbacks or anything in my pockets because that is just something to make me sweat more.

#14093

Just Krusin, February 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Being an old foky and always carried an extra sew-up tire wrapped in an old athletic sock under my seat held in place with a spare toe strap-I’ve continued using some kind of old sock to wrap my spare tube in and use the sock to wipe my hands after I get done getting dirty.  One thing you don’t want is to have a tube in a seat bag or whatever getting rubbed by something and when you finally need it it already has a weak spot, also keeping it in a box takes up too much room and is just another something to be thrown away while riding.

#14094

ts, February 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Pretty much what I would take on a long ride locally:

On bike: 2 water bottles, pump (Lezyne Road Drive)
In saddle bag: 1 spare tube, patch kit, mini-tool, levers
In jersey pockets: driver’s license, money, insurance cards, sunscreen, camera, rain/wind jacket (if weather demands), arm warmers (if weather demands)
I don’t bother with snack bars, Gu, etc.  No one ever suffered from malnutrition on RAGBRAI.

#14095

Anonymous, February 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

pillow..

#14096

kgbean, February 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Make sure you have a rack on your bike so you can buy cheap beer at the grocery store and tote it to camp easily.  Otherwise bring what you would on any other bike ride. 
I do agree with a raincoat when rain is in the forecast – remember Waterloo 2010!  I’ll never forget that lesson – froze my arse off.  But that meetup town party that day in the sunshine was the most glorious time I’ve ever had on RAGBRAI.

#14097

verylastrider, February 10, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I carry a piece of a FEDEx envelope that makes a great boot in the cae of a blowout.  I also keep my tailight if the weather turns or it gets dark on me.

#14098

TDLow, February 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

Just Krusin said: Just carry what you would carry on any old 20-30 mile ride.  Remember each day is several short 15-30 mile rides interrupted with stops in towns.  Rain gear yes, and most certainly 2 water bottles.  Does anyone remember the death march to Audubon several years ago?

Yes I remember, and wanted to cry!  It was no fun but the best part was that it certainly wasn’t crowded on the road from Manning to Audubon!

#14099

TDLow, February 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

I pull a ‘spooler’ for team PBR.  Stereo/Cooler.  It is awesome with amazing sound, however it is extremely heavy on hills ~40 lbs with everything in it.  I end up being the mule for the team.  Multi-tool, rain coats, extra tubes, maps, energy bars, phones, cameras, batteries, sunscreen etc.  Just about everything mentioned already is in the spooler!

#14100

jwsknk, February 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

TDLow said:

  Does anyone remember the death march to Audubon several years ago? Yes I remember, and wanted to cry!  It was no fun but the best part was that it certainly wasn’t crowded on the road from Manning to Audubon!

Talked to a cousin there who is with the fire dept about 7:00 , he said the hospital was packed with people geting IV’s for dehydration.

#14101

Anonymous, February 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

swiss army knife with church key to open cans of peaches from HyVee…what to carry?..It all depends if you want to rely on yourself or the kindness of strangers..

#14102

Michrider !!!, February 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm

steven z said: swiss army knife with church key to open cans of peaches from HyVee…what to carry?..It all depends if you want to rely on yourself or the kindness of strangers..

Peaches???

#14103

ts, February 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Michrider said:

steven z said: swiss army knife with church key to open cans of peaches from HyVee…what to carry?..It all depends if you want to rely on yourself or the kindness of strangers..

Peaches???
Cans???

#14104

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI