RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

What to carry on bike?

Hello All,
     New to Ragbrai this year.  I’d like to know what gear you carry on your bike (besides spare tube and air) and how do your carry it?  How many water bottles?  Snacks?  Raingear?  Thanks

93 Replies

Ragbrai Nation, February 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

Photobucket

Ragbrai Nation, February 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

The photo above needs updated. DON’T use Gold Bond powder. It burns! Use baby powder instead. And the pantleg straps… don’t need those either.

Anonymous, February 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm

35lbs is a reasonable target for a bagger..that’s a few tools, tent, goose bag, a thermarest, food.. the little allen key to tighten cleats..

mcpartla, February 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Spare tube, repair kit, pump to fit your bike, snacks, water, cell phone, tooth brush & paste, razor, shaving creme, swim suit, small camping towel, wet wipes, camera, rain jacket.
I avoid lines … thus the toothbrush, shaving kit. When it’s hot I look for places to swim and cool off; thus the swim suit and towell. And late in the afternoon I look for a pool where I can take a shower & shave before arriving in the campground. Snacks help in the morning … skip the first all-you-can-eat breakfasts and bike 10-20 miles and less waiting time. Normally a rain jacket is not needed but a few years back we had all morning showers and high of 65 degrees.

rjjensenia, February 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm

What do you NEED to carry? Not much. Water is a good idea for sure, but actually it is so available if you wanted to stop every few miles you could find it no problem. I carry a pump and spare tube. A few tire irons, a wallet and not much else.

Michael Knapp, February 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Don’t forget a camping corkscrew. You never know when you need to open a bottle of wine or two!

Michael Knapp, February 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Don’t forget a camping corkscrew. You never know when you may need to open a bottle of wine.

Anonymous, February 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Use the spare tube to tie an aluminum lawn chair to your back of the panniers..It weighs little and a great conversation breaker…..”Are you nuts”?
Set up anywhere to watch the parade of cyclists.

brendanpatrick, February 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I learned this the hard way: bring some dental floss or a toothpick. Pulled pork gets stuck in your teeth!

SSC1, February 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

rjjensenia:
.Water is a good idea for sure, but actually it is so available if you wanted to stop every few miles you could find it no problem.

I was a newbie last year – I kinda disagree with this………Water was like gold last year – especially COLD water. There were times when I burned through both bottles in a 12 mile stretch and left myself 6 more miles to the next town – with only $2 bottles of water between. I guess I would say – carry two, 24 oz bottles of water always.

Tooth brush and tooth paste……..hmmmmmmm.

I kept a small towel to wipe grease off my hands if I had a chain issue – but otherwise, my bag had:

Cell phone, small wallet with cash and id, two tubes, small washcloth, all purpose tool, lock (unnecessary – won’t keep it with me this year), and small camera. Frame pump on the bike.

Michrider !!!, February 21, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Always carry a Tall Boy Budweiser to sip between towns. If it’s more than 10 miles, I might need 2!!!!!!

CyclingRoberto, February 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Money.

Michrider !!!, February 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm

CyclingRoberto:
Money.

Beer and money, that’s plenty!!!!!

RonB, February 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

Didn’t go back thru all 7 pages, so this may have already been stated, but if you happen to be one of those ragbrai ‘wimmins’ (or a princess), all you need is a smile (and perhaps a stick to beat off the many volunteers)!

Lindsay, February 24, 2012 at 9:21 am

What kinds of bags do people like best for on the bike? I have a seat bag but it’s full of tools and stuff. Maybe I just need a bigger one. I was thinking about a handlebar bag or a frame bag, but the ones that seem big enough to be worthwhile all seem so bulky. I usually don’t wear a jersey (just a tank) so I don’t have pockets.
I have a WSD road bike, no racks or baskets or anything.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI