RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

What to carry on bike?

Hello All,
     New to Ragbrai this year.  I’d like to know what gear you carry on your bike (besides spare tube and air) and how do your carry it?  How many water bottles?  Snacks?  Raingear?  Thanks

93 Replies

Csprint, February 26, 2012 at 12:13 am

Lindsay:
What kinds of bags do people like best for on the bike? I have a seat bag but it’s full of tools and stuff. Maybe I just need a bigger one.[ ]…frame bag, but the ones that seem big enough to be worthwhile all seem so bulky. I usually don’t wear a jersey (just a tank) so I don’t have pockets.
I have a WSD road bike, no racks or baskets or anything.

As time has gone on I carry less and less. The first tour (Oklahoma Bicycle Society Tour of Arkansas in ’91) I did I had a Blackburn rear rack and pack and about half way through I took it off. It had all the stuff I thought I’d need, but didn’t.

I have a small, slightly worn out Pedro’s underseat pack made of recycled inner tubes. Now packed (stuffed!) with a crankbrothers multi tool 17, spare tube, one tire lever, a CO2 inflator and two cartridges. A jersey with pockets with an extra water bottle in the center pocket, cell, id, electrolite tablets and waterproof wallet in the others.

I suppose an LED tail light snapped to the pack wouldn’t be a bad idea, either.

With the multi tool I was able to tear down my bike for shipment at the end of the ride last year. (Including pedal removal).

Lindsay:
I usually don’t wear a jersey (just a tank) so I don’t have pockets.

Lindsay, get a sleeveless jersey with back pockets. Terry womens, Trek or many others make them. It’s amazing how much more stuff you can carry in them without relying on an extra bag, (folding jacket, arm warmers or disposable camera, etc.).

Corey

Tony, February 26, 2012 at 12:48 am

Anonymous, February 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

A rear rack can be installed using rear stay clamps if your bike does not have eyelets. Those that carry little (or nada) are willing to endure, suffer , beg for the kindness of strangers and do without..Why do without extra shades, pillow, an extra clean jersey, tunes, camera, ?..

Viewing 3 replies - 91 through 93 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI