What will I miss without a wristband?

My friend and I just decided to do RAGBRAI a few days ago. (my second, her first) I just saw weeklong registration is closed. Last year I did Pork Bellies and rarely made it in each day for showers and food, so this year I want to do self-contained. My question is, if I’m not using the luggage truck, is there anything else I WON’T be able to do without a wristband? Beer tents, music, expo? Anything I must have a wristband for?
p.s. I do appreciate supporting the ride (and kybos!) with the registration and would if I could – so please, no lectures. I will seek out a wristband if I get answers of things I cannot do without one. Thanks in advance!

29 Replies

Brian Wallenburg, April 20, 2016 at 7:07 pm

A few things would include: support on the route, if you were to need it. By support, I mean bike problems that you and it would need a lift. A second and bigger thing would be the overnight town entertainment. If you so choose to attend, you’d pay per concert. There are other things like saving a dollar or two when purchasing meals or spending money with vendors and camping options are somewhat different without a wrist band. I have always had a wrist band, with that being said, if I were ever to be turned down in the “lottery” I’d be there anyway. I ride 2500 miles a year, most of which are not supported.

czysk, April 20, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I guess the main thing would be SAG and medical along the route. That said, I would probably ride bandit if I had to.

Mark Chapin, April 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Many of the concerts are free with wristband and upwards of $20 without. Medical services in case something should happen (aka insurance).

From the FAQ:
4. If my entry is drawn, what kind of services can I expect for my fee?

The fee provides daily baggage transportation, SAG wagon service, emergency medical service, camping areas, route markings, daily maps, wristband discounts, camping facilities, a free edition of The Des Moines Register in each of the host communities, ten bicycle shops on the route and in the campgrounds to service your bike, access to long-term parking, bicycle shipping stations, free lost and found mailing service and great Iowa hospitality.

Michrider !!!, April 21, 2016 at 5:07 am

Please support RAGBRAI!!! Don’t ride Bandit!!!!
null

VIKING, April 21, 2016 at 6:59 am

You will miss the Friday shuttle. You need a wristband to use PBV.

Michrider !!!, April 21, 2016 at 7:40 am

VIKING: You will miss the Friday shuttle. You need a wristband to use PBV.

Viking, good point. All of the charters are required to verify that riders are registered!!!!

Ken Reed, April 21, 2016 at 7:59 am

Honestly, RAGBRAI bandits kind of p*ss me off. I feel that if you are on the ride without paying, you are stealing. SUPPORT RAGBRAI, BUY A WRISTBAND!

mootsman, April 21, 2016 at 8:39 am

You can sign up for daily wrist bands still. Just get one for each day. They limit it to 6 dailys but you can always create a 2nd login for the 7th wrist band although for the very last day it may not be a big deal.

Ragbrai Nation, April 21, 2016 at 9:48 am

Emergency medical service is provided along the entire route free of charge by U of I Hospitals & Clinics IF u have a wrist band. If you crash on the route, and your sorry azz has to be scraped up, and you don’t have a wristband, I don’t believe your medical insurance will cover YOUR problem so not likely will it won’t go well on your pocketbook.

KenH, April 21, 2016 at 10:21 am

Actually I am pretty sure my medical insurance would pay its normal percentages for medical services needed during RAGBRAI. I wasn’t aware that the U of I or anyone else would treat me for free. If the on route medical patrols are funded through wristband fees then there is one good, moral, and perhaps financial, reason to pay your fair share. But will they really cover my whole hospital stay if one is needed or refuse to treat someone without a wristband, leaving him/her to potentially die? I suspect the answer to both is no. If I need serious treatment I assume I would get it, wristband or not, and would have to pay for it through my normal medical insurance, wristband or not. If the charges for on route minor medical treatment are somewhat lower or free with a wristband then great.

Don’t get me wrong, for me doing the right thing is all the reason I need to pay the registration fee. But the answer to the OP’s question would seem to be that without a wristband there will be no shuttle ride for you, and you might spend as much on concert admission fees as you would on a week long wristband assuming you attend concerts which some of us do not. It should be possible to snag a wristband on the market that will develop as lottery winners find out they cannot attend for some reason and if I were in the OP’s position that would be where I would turn. PBV may not accept you on their shuttle without a wristband but if you want to use their services they will try to help you find a seller so that you can get one.

Ragbrai Nation, April 21, 2016 at 11:52 am

KEN- re-read my post; nowhere did I state anyone would be refused treatment, with or without a wristband. I’m saying riding Ragbrai puts you into the unusual & elevated risk circumstance that insurance companies itch for in denying a client coverage. For that reason, alone, I wouldn’t go bandit.

KenH, April 21, 2016 at 4:05 pm

OK, I read your post several times before replying and was not sure what you were trying to say so thanks for the clarification. My insurance does not have a no-RAGBRAI clause so no problem for me. But then I always get a wristband.

It seems to me that if riders have to ask this board to define the benefits of getting a wristband for them then the Register is not doing as good a job as it could to spell those out and sell potential bandits on the wisdom of buying a wristband. Just a suggestion.

Michrider !!!, April 21, 2016 at 4:15 pm

https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/what-will-i-miss-without-a-wristband/

If my entry is drawn, what kind of services can I expect for my fee?

The fee provides daily baggage transportation, SAG wagon service, emergency medical service, camping areas, route markings, daily maps, wristband discounts, camping facilities, a free edition of The Des Moines Register in each of the host communities, ten bicycle shops on the route and in the campgrounds to service your bike, access to long-term parking, bicycle shipping stations, free lost and found mailing service and great Iowa hospitality.

tellroxanne@gmail.com, April 21, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Ok everyone, thanks for all the great input – especially the one about signing up for 7 daily wristbands. I hope my question was clear. I DO intend to try to find two week-long wristbands. Just wanted to know what I was going to miss if I was unsuccessful at finding them. Wish me luck!

Oma-wegian, April 21, 2016 at 5:16 pm

As the weeks get nearer to RAGBRAI there will be way more wristbands for sale than there will be buyers. Last year we were lucky to sell my wife’s unused wristband and her vehicle pass for full price but the pass prices were going down by the day. Everyone will have the chance to have a pass. Just remember to get it reregistered into your own name. I have never been a bandit and never will. I fully support all the efforts or the Register and so should everyone. Just because you can get away with it doesn’t mean you should. Plus it is only a small part of the overall expense of the week.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015