RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

"WHAT'S FOR DINNER" – What would you like to see provided to eat at overnights?

As one of Marshalltown’s eatery owners, what can we provide for you Wednesday night to help you recharge and be ready for the longest ride to Cedar Rapids on Thursday? It’s been 30 years since I rode on RAGBRAI, and back then I was just looking for carbs and calories. What are your suggestions that we might be able to provide this year?

121 Replies

havencoffeehouse, May 10, 2012 at 10:02 am

giantron:
Hmmm, a pickle juice latte?
Maybe just fill up one of those squirt bottles of coffee flavors with some pickle juice!You might start a whole new craze.

I’m thinking of a shot of pickle juice served over ice, and calling it a “Chilly Dilly”.

Miss Curmudgeonly, May 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

havencoffeehouse: Our Chicken Pot Pie filling would probably taste good over dog poo, but that’s not on the menu plan.We serve it over baking powder biscuits, and that is always a big hit.Mashed potatoes work well too, but people keep asking for noodles here.That isn’t quite so easy, and there is no way we would tackle that many individual pot pies.This has potential, and you’d be getting lots of veggies as well, unlike with beef and noodles or chicken and noodles.Hmmmm.

Biscuits! Biscuitsbiscuitdbiscuits. Pretty please? Noodles have their place in the world certainly, but biscuits, ah, that’s elevating things to an entirely new level. :)

giantron, May 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

havencoffeehouse: I’m thinking of a shot of pickle juice served over ice, and calling it a “Chilly Dilly”.

I Like it!

Sandaltan ., May 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

Chicken pot pie filling over biscuits sends chills of anticipation up and down my spine. WOW!!

RIDE RIGHT

havencoffeehouse, May 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Sandaltan:
Chicken pot pie filling over biscuits sends chills of anticipation up and down my spine.WOW!!

RIDE RIGHT

Are you sure you aren’t just cramping? Take some pickle juice and call me in the morning.

havencoffeehouse, May 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Miss Curmudgeonly: Biscuits! Biscuitsbiscuitdbiscuits. Pretty please? Noodles have their place in the world certainly, but biscuits, ah, that’s elevating things to an entirely new level. :)

Works for me. Anyone else want to chime in with an opinion?

SeanHavins, May 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Yeah, a big biscuit in a bowl with a ladle full of steaming pot pie filling over the top. Says hearty, creamy, veggie, chickeny goodness to me.

[My mouth is watering as I type this]

kurmdgn, May 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I think it was the Beef Producers that had the “Sundae” a couple of years ago. A bowl with mashed potatoes, beef, gravy, and a cherry tomatoe on top.
And they were selling corn-on the cob right next door. That was awesome!

havencoffeehouse, May 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

SeanHavins:
Yeah, a big biscuit in a bowl with a ladle full of steaming pot pie filling over the top.Says hearty, creamy, veggie, chickeny goodness to me.

[My mouth is watering as I type this]

Don’t drool on the keyboard . . .you’ll short it out.

havencoffeehouse, May 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

kurmdgn:
I think it was the Beef Producers that had the “Sundae” a couple of years ago. A bowl with mashed potatoes, beef, gravy, and a cherry tomatoe on top.
And they were selling corn-on the cob right next door. That was awesome!

Wish I had thought of that one myself!!! It’s hearty, deeeeelish, and clever. That’s an idea that’ll be hard to top.

I wouldn’t do ears of sweet corn. Too much to heat and too many cobbs to dispose of with the mountain of trash we’ll already have. I would husk the corn and cut it off the cobbs a few days in advance, then just heat it up with salt, pepper, and butter in roasters and serve it along side beef tips in gravy over mashed potatoes. Cherry tomato on top would be optional.

Miss Curmudgeonly, May 12, 2012 at 9:12 am

havencoffeehouse:

I wouldn’t do ears of sweet corn.Too much to heat and too many cobbs to dispose of with the mountain of trash we’ll already have.I would husk the corn and cut it off the cobbs a few days in advance, then just heat it up with salt, pepper, and butter in roasters and serve it along side beef tips in gravy over mashed potatoes.Cherry tomato on top would be optional.

Beef tips, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn? Umm, okay, I’m in for that too. Plus I think you have at least 3 people who want biscuits with the pot pie, so that’s a quorum right there. :)

havencoffeehouse, May 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Miss Curmudgeonly: Beef tips, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn? Umm, okay, I’m in for that too. Plus I think you have at least 3 people who want biscuits with the pot pie, so that’s a quorum right there. :)

Three votes. 15,000 riders plus support people, locals, and the just-plain-curious spectators. I don’t think we can call that an accurate survey sample or a quorum just yet, but it’s a good start. I think we have a couple of keepers here, but that’s just my opinion.

Any other suggestions out there?

Anonymous, May 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

As I said many posts ago on this thread … Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Pie! Beef, Pork and Veggie Pot Pie as well. It may be difficult for you serve mass quantities piping hot and fresh. I not aware of your set up but good , quick and simple always work for me. I really enjoy a tall glass of 2% milk, shaken not stirred.

Miss Curmudgeonly, May 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

thangamalang:
As I said many posts ago on this thread … Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Pie! Beef, Pork and Veggie Pot Pie as well.

A 4th person! See, now it’s REALLY a quorum. 8-O

havencoffeehouse, May 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

thangamalang:
As I said many posts ago on this thread … Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Chicken Pot Pie! Beef, Pork and Veggie Pot Pie as well. It may be difficult for you serve mass quantities piping hot and fresh. I not aware of your set up but good , quick and simple always work for me. I really enjoy a tall glass of 2% milk, shaken not stirred.

If you’ll settle for chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie filling served over fluffy buttermilk biscuits — then we may have a winner. It’s good, filling, full of veggies, simple enough to prepare in mass quantities, and quick to serve to keep a line moving.

We’ll try not to run out of milk, but it’s much easier to lead the cow onto the merry-go-round, than it is to pick her up and shake her. I’m not as young as I used to be.

Viewing 15 replies - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI