RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

What's in your garage?

I have to figure some riders are like me and hate to throw away an old friend.  I am sure someone else has too many bikes in their garage.  I’ve got my old mid 1970’s Puegeot (that I really will restore someday).  It went across the state with me three times in the late seventies.  I have my dad’s old tri bike.  He did tris twenty some years ago.  I can’t bear to throw it out.  I have my entry level Trek that finally made the trip across Iowa this year and did a few tris before that.  I have my tt bike (that my spouse does not know about).  In spite of this, I still get bike envy.

What’s in your garage?

20 Replies

jwsknk, September 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm

KHS Citation from around 1981 that went to England. I did few RAGBRAIs befote thr Trek 1100 that has 8 RAGBRAI bands still on it. Most of that bike went LA to DC in 1995. Teak 990 mtb gets out mostly in winter now with studded tires. Newest is the Burley touring bike went New Orleans to Internationa Falls in 2005 and RAGBRIs since. So total 4 bikes. But don’t you always Ned one more?

barbara45000, September 7, 2011 at 12:08 am

I have my Schwinn Stringray, robin egg blue, from when I was a kid and my adult Trek WSD 2.3. I would also have a Trek 850 and Trek 1000, bright yellow with blue trim, very sharp it was, but someone stole both of them from my garage back in 2009. Some people tell me to just get over the theft already but how do you get over when someone steals pieces of you? Non-riders just don’t get not “getting over it”….ride on!!

“Bicycle Bill”, September 7, 2011 at 2:00 am

I’m not married and I don’t have kids, but I feel sure that if anything were to happen to my classic old Trek — affectionately known as “The Oldest Living Trek in Captivity” — the sorrow and emptiness I would feel would be comparable to that caused by the loss of a child or a spouse.

As far as that goes, it would hurt to lose any of my other bikes, but none of them have that special place in my heart that the Trek occupies.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, September 7, 2011 at 8:26 am

My Garage: Bianchi, San Remo, my current riding partner; Cannondale (1993), Orbea mountain bike (29’r), GT Mountain bike with fenders has become my wet weather bike, my wife’s Orbea Diva and her Rocky Mountain hybrid plus 4 cases of Budweiser.  Basement contents: Raleigh Technium 440, and my Trek 2120 (1997), mounted on trainer.  I probably missed a bike or three and maybe a few beers!!!!!

SFC JKL 2, September 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I got matching mountain bikes for my first anniversary (our 20th is in Dec).  My wife’s still has the original tires while mine has virtually been destroyed and has nothing original left on it.

I have my grandfather’s schwinn 3 speed that is older than I am (45).  I also have my daughter bmx she never rides, my son’s mountain bike he rarely rides and my USX EZ-3 trike I can’t ride here in GA (hills are too steep).

giantron, September 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Let’s see, my Giant OCR1 with new wheelsets (compliments of Twister Hill), my wifes Terry road and Cannondale Mt bike, my sons monstrously heavy Trek Mt bike, AND (insert drum roll here)  my brand new (30 miles on it first time out) Cannondale Touring 2 rigged with fenders, panniers, computer, Brooks saddle, new touring pedals, etc. 

Planning some self supported tours now. 
Oh yeah, and one unicycle. Not mine!

gageplate, September 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

two cars

Zinger, September 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I don’t have a garage, but in my shed are my Trek hybrid, my Felt road bike, and my BF’s Specialized. In mere months, in my house, will be my new Gunnar touring bike. All tricked out and ready to hit the road!

Hey Giantron – where are we going first???

jwsknk, September 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Two routes I have mapped out.New Orleans,Natchez and up the trace to Nashville. Ship the bike to NO and take the train down. Getting home?
The other a loop in Minnesota. Brainerd up the Paul Bunyan trail. Go through Bemidji and lake Itaska. Maybe add 4 days to get to International Falls. That would make it about 10 days on the bike too.

SSC1, September 8, 2011 at 5:33 am

My Bianchi Imola, Gary Fisher Mountain Bike (made when it was a true Gary Fisher), and then the rest of the bikes are my wife’s and our boys – Specialized Dolce Sport, Lemond Buenos Aires, Lemond Tourlamet, two more high end Gary Fisher Mountain Bike, a Trek Mountain Bike, and the (restored) 1962 Raleigh Single Speed Sportster that my wife received when she was 8 years old (woman’s bike).

tjdale, September 8, 2011 at 6:59 am

Raleigh Gran Prix ’72, R.E.W. Reynolds ’74, WhizWheels TerraTrike 3.3 (X2), Burley Django ’04-’05, RANS Force 5 ’05, Jamis Eclipse ’07 (sons), Trek 7100 (wifes), Trek 7200 (daughters).

rjjensenia, September 8, 2011 at 11:16 am

A 1983 Trek 640 (campy all around) and a 1993 Raleigh RT 500 with new wheels that have really  improved the ride. 

giantron, September 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

Zinger said: I don’t have a garage, but in my shed are my Trek hybrid, my Felt road bike, and my BF’s Specialized. In mere months, in my house, will be my new Gunnar touring bike. All tricked out and ready to hit the road!

Hey Giantron – where are we going first???

hmmm, Great Allegheny Trail/C&O Trail? That Natchez Trail looks real nice too Skunky, but I’d prefer ending in Norlins’ as a reward. Hennepin trail in ILL looks interesting. I’m collecting routes now for some serious decisions.

Looks like you dropped a pretty dime on a component Gunnar bike! Very nice. I’m still tweaking mine in and breaking in that Brooks. First time I had one. It’s nice to ride whatever the trail throws at you with the touring bike/tires, but makes you miss the speed of the road bike pretty quick.

jwsknk, September 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

giantron, north to south? for some reason hadn’t thought about that direction. Maybe because when they walked it, it was always back home from NO. Would get to see the pieces I have done from the other direction. Either way would want to swing through Abita Springs to see if the post-K Habitat houses I worked on are still there and drop off crew & construction photos with the family. Plus stop at the AS brewery. Then come into NO from the east.

Did someone count wheelsets too? I have a couple of them sitting around too. One for the MTB without studded tires because those were a real bear to get on the rims.

Bobthebiker, September 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm

jwsknk said: Two routes I have mapped out.New Orleans,Natchez and up the trace to Nashville. Ship the bike to NO and take the train down. Getting home? The other a loop in Minnesota. Brainerd up the Paul Bunyan trail. Go through Bemidji and lake Itaska. Maybe add 4 days to get to International Falls. That would make it about 10 days on the bike too.

That New Orleans/Trace/ Nashville trip is on my list, too. I’ve thought about doing it in the opposite direction – landing in New Orleans after 10 days on a bike would really get me ready for my share of beignets, Willie Mae’s fried chicken, and the Crescent City Steak House!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters