RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

What's the 2017 Logo Say About the End Town?

What towns feature river-boat landings? One of those must be the ending town. Dubuque maybe since we’re due for a northern route?

43 Replies

jwsknk, October 26, 2016 at 8:41 am

Camanche? maybe they try to fit it in 2018 or 19 when the ride would end the weekend before (The ride now is always the last full week of July). And I agree with BB, to officially go out of state now you need to work with (state) Highway Patrol, (state) DOT, County engineers and local police who probably never experienced anything like RAGBRAI, can the medical crew RAGBRAI hires work out of state? and the insurance (would it still cover out of state? Would the policy need to be rewritten to cover differences in laws….)

KenH, October 26, 2016 at 8:42 am

RAGBRAI is an Iowa event and I can understand if they want to keep it in Iowa. On the other hand if they wanted to follow the Tour’s lead and dip into the adjoining states then the insurance and liability issues are no barriers anymore than they are for the Tour when it crosses national borders. The ISP has no liability whatsoever for accidents outside of Iowa. The state police of any adjoining state that agreed to host part of the ride would assume those liabilities. The Register would be liable for the whole thing, whatever state it traverses, just like now. Their insurance surly could be convinced to cover an out of state venture for a small fee…. The ride could go outside of Iowa if all parties agree that it can and should. However as much as a Hannibal finish would fit with a Twain theme, ending RAGBRAI in a non-Iowa town would be like ending the Tour in London or Berlin instead of Paris and we know that ain’t gonna happen!

Dubuque is a definite possibility as an end town even if that riverboat in the logo is modeled after the Twilight and even if it’s use is intended as a clue instead of it being just the boat the artist happened to choose to use as inspiration. The Twilight’s two day cruises overnight in Dubuque.

Ken Reed, October 26, 2016 at 9:01 am

I know there’s a lot of talk about going into another state but I just can’t see it happening.

“Bicycle Bill”, October 26, 2016 at 12:35 pm

You’re probably correct, Ken; arrangements could be made (for a cost).  But if anything should happen and the vultures lawyers descend, then what?  Better to avoid the possibility in the first place.

-“BB”-

Ken Reed, October 26, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I don’t think we will even get anywhere near Minnesota or Missouri (it will be a long time before we have another deep southern route again). Middle to Middle north is what I’m thinking. Towns that are overdue for stop: Ames, Newton, Denison, Adel, Ankeny, Tama-Toldeo, Iowa Falls, The Amanas. Look for a few of those towns to be on the route.

Luv 2 Ski, October 26, 2016 at 2:05 pm

All the Mark Twain references would lead me to believe either Keokuk or Muscatine as ending towns. If the ride did not end in Muscatine last year I would definitely say that is it. There is a first time for everything so maybe the same ending town 2 years in a row.

“Bicycle Bill”, October 26, 2016 at 5:24 pm

We ended in the same town (Bellevue) twice in three years back in 1989 and 1991.  It was a rainy, miserable day for the ending in 1989 and everybody was eager to get loaded and get gone, so the powers that be pulled all the strings they could to get the ride to go back to Bellevue ASAP, and were able to do it two years later.

-“BB”-

Carl Anderson, October 27, 2016 at 4:56 am

I think it is going to be a lot of new towns as overnight towns as they quoted Mark Twain, and the theme is Discover, bike, Explore. So I am excited no matter where they go. This will be my second Ragbrai.

mootsman, October 27, 2016 at 6:56 am

Although I’m sure any legal issues would not be too much of a barrier for crossing into another state, there could be a newspaper issue. Decades ago I went on a cross Wisconsin ride (SAAGBRAW) put on by the Milwaukee Sentinal newspaper (the original meaning of the S in the name). I talked with the reps from the paper and they said there was an agreement between newspapers to never cross into another newspaper’s home state. But Minnesota’s main newspaper (Star&Trib) does not put on a ride so maybe that is not a big deal.

Amanda, October 27, 2016 at 8:56 am

I love this chatter! I also love the point weareshy made about Discover, Bike, Explore. It could mean an Orange City (Discover a new start) start or a Sergeant Bluff start (Lewis and Clark – explorers).

Keep it up!!

KenH, October 27, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I’m not sure what it means that newspapers won’t cross into another newspaper’s home state but I doubt that it means that RAGBRAI cannot cross state boundaries. The notion came up here because someone noticed a lot of threes in the logo and suggested that could mean a three state ride. Someone else noted that TJ had made some comments recently about the Tour visiting three countries in 2017 that he took as potential clues to the RAGBRAI route. I don’t think that any technical or legal objection or any gentleman’s agreements between newspapers would prevent RAGBRAI from crossing into other states.

The biggest objection that I can see is that this is an Iowa event and it is meant to promote Iowa and the Register, its most prominent newspaper. As a rider I think it would be a hoot to cross state lines now and then but I don’t see what the Register’s motivation for doing that would be. I don’t have to see the motivation however, if TJ comes up with a reason to ride into another state then it could happen.

I’m not predicting that will happen, I’m just playing with the suggestions of others to see where they might lead. This is a brainstorming session after all. You dare not squelch ideas in a brainstorming session because however impractical they may be, unlikely suggestions can inspire excellent suggestions if you let them bounce around for a while. You break that chain if you don’t give them some slack.

Maybe the TdF reference to 3 countries is a hint that 3 time Tour winner Greg Lemond will join us this year? Or that all 3 (?!) US tour winners will ride with us: Lance Armstrong, Greg Lemond, and Marianne Martin. Or it could mean nothing. There may not be any clues to the route in the logo or the video this year, I’m not sure there were any last year.

Michrider !!!, October 28, 2016 at 6:51 am

KenH: Maybe the TdF reference to 3 countries is a hint that 3 time Tour winner Greg Lemond will join us this year? Or that all 3 (?!) US tour winners will ride with us: Lance Armstrong, Greg Lemond, and Marianne Martin. Or it could mean nothing. There may not be any clues to the route in the logo or the video this year, I’m not sure there were any last year.

I vote that it means “nothing”!!!! BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, October 28, 2016 at 1:36 pm

The Minneapolis Star-Trib used to put on a ride known as the “Jaunt With Jim”, the Jim in this case being columnist Jim Klobuchar.  The father of Minnesota’s senior US Senator Amy Klobuchar, he retired from the newspaper a couple of decades ago and — unlike the DM Register — the paper did not seem to be interested in maintaining the event.

And if you ask most people in Minnesota, I think the St. Paul “Pioneer Press” is considered to be *THE* de facto state newspaper nowadays.

-“BB”-

Viewing 13 replies - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters