RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Wheel dip in the Big Souix River?

I find it a bit lame that the ride doesn’t actually start at the western border. Considering starting a bit earlier and dipping my wheel in the Big Souix River in Hawarden. Thoughts? Anyone want to join me?

29 Replies

Amanda, February 28, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Woo – My guy at the bike shop said he would draw up a map for you. He did mention C38 to K13. He said C38 is busy and he hasn’t ridden on K13. But he will talk to another guy and get back to us. C38 to K13 looks easy. A few hills but not like last summer!

T. Gap Woo, March 2, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for the input, Groeny82 and Princess Amanda. It looks like I’ll have a couple of options! Decisions, decisions, but not nearly as difficult as deciding what flavor of Blue Bunny ice cream to try this time around!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Jeff Cecil, March 3, 2017 at 8:14 am

Is anyone thinking of doing the ride to Hawarden on Sunday? I’m not sure what time I will get into Orange City on Saturday and might want to spend more time at the expo. From Orange city to Hawarden then to Spencer is 119.1 miles with elevation gain of 3177. If I’m riding from 6:00 am to 6:00pm I still would only have to average a little less than 10 mph. Thoughts?

Amanda, March 3, 2017 at 9:32 am

I realize that dipping your tire at the river is important to many of you. And I totally respect tradition. However, I am the type of person who likes to bend the rules a tad and see gray areas when others see black and white. So, why can’t a person dip their tire at the Floyd River by Alton? The Floyd goes into the Big Sioux which goes into the Missouri. When you dip at Hawarden, you are dipping at the Big Sioux not the Missouri, so it’s pretty close to the same!

Just throwing it out there. And you can say say that you dipped in royal-approved river water because the Princess lives in Alton! LOL

Michrider !!!, March 3, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Amanda: I realize that dipping your tire at the river is important to many of you. And I totally respect tradition. However, I am the type of person who likes to bend the rules a tad and see gray areas when others see black and white. So, why can’t a person dip their tire at the Floyd River by Alton? The Floyd goes into the Big Sioux which goes into the Missouri. When you dip at Hawarden, you are dipping at the Big Sioux not the Missouri, so it’s pretty close to the same!
Just throwing it out there. And you can say say that you dipped in royal-approved river water because the Princess lives in Alton! LOL

Princess Amanda, I love your idea!!! If Lefty and I can make it this year, I’ll be dipping in the Floyd, as you suggest!!! First things first, I need to buy a recumbent trike. Lefty and I fell 5 times over the past two years. My balance (thanks to Lefty) is horrible. I’m planning on doing some trike test rides next week. If I find one I like, I’ll be laying down my card!!! The possibility of falling on RAGBRAI and creating a situation where others may be injured is unacceptable. I hope to see you and Norman in Alton in July!!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

Nico ZZZ, March 3, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Hey Michrider, RAGBRAI may not care, but best of luck from Miami and the small but mildly powerful Team Diablos Rojos on your transition to the trike. I missed 2015 with my ankle break, and I know you missed last year due to Lefty. I couldn’t imagine missing two years in a row. Look forward to hoisting one or two with you at PBV camp!
Ride On Michrider!

Ken, March 3, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Princess Amanda, I love your idea!!! If Lefty and I can make it this year, I’ll be dipping in the Floyd, as you suggest!!! First things first, I need to buy a recumbent trike. Lefty and I fell 5 times over the past two years. My balance (thanks to Lefty) is horrible. I’m planning on doing some trike test rides next week. If I find one I like, I’ll be laying down my card!!! The possibility of falling on RAGBRAI and creating a situation where others may be injured is unacceptable. I hope to see you and Norman in Alton in July!!!!

Hey Michrider,

After 6 RAGBRAI’s on an “upwrong” bike I did last year on my CATRIKE 559. I had modified the gearing for hills but the first day nearly got me. That was because I tried to “keep up with the pack” No problem downhill (40+ mph) or on the flats but don’t expect to speed up hills. On the positive side, I can spin up just about any hill at 3mph and I don’t worry about falling over.

After the first day I decided to take my time and enjoy myself and the rest of the week was a blast. Good luck finding a good trike.

Sandaltan ., March 4, 2017 at 9:08 am

Wheel dipping is a ceremonial act that pre-dates RAGBRAI. http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/student-vet-begins-cross-country-ride-dip-pacific#stream/0

RAGBRAI

KenH, March 7, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I missed the part in that link that mentions a wheel dip before RAGBRAI, I guess. It dates from 2013 and does not, that I could see, mention any earlier traditions with dates that could be compared to RAGBRAI. It would be hard to say when the first wheel dip was done. Sargon the Great is generally recognized as one of the first, if not the first, empire builders in world history. His reign started around 2300 BC and he conquered a swath of territory from the Persian gulf to the Mediterranean Sea where he is said to have washed his sword as a symbol of the completion of his campaign. Wheel dipping could be argued to be a continuation of this tradition. Wheeled vehicles were invented about a thousand years before Sargon and spoked wheels were invented around his time. People have potentially been dipping wheels for a very long time then! When Karras jokingly told the cyclists who were preparing for RAGBRAI II that the ride started and ended with a ceremonial tire dipping in the two rivers he undoubtedly was referencing some tradition that he was aware of, but I don’t know which one because he does not discuss this in his book.

I suppose one could ask him this summer at the patch station on the Loop….

For many of us who are considering the journey to the Big Sioux to dip it is not the dipping itself that we are interested in actually. It is starting and finishing the ride on the borders. For us, the fact that some creek flows into a stream that joins a river and eventually becomes part of the Missouri means nothing. We don’t care about the water. We care about the border. If the ride does not start on the border or there is no safe and convenient way for us to get to/from the border then the ride has, in a small sense, failed us that year. It’s not a huge thing but I would like to see the RAGBRAI planners make it a high priority. Either that or be honest and consistent and have the ride stop short of the Mississippi occasionally!

david636, May 22, 2017 at 12:58 pm

This thread has been dead for more than 2 months, but I’m planning on riding to Hawarden on Saturday. Looks to be about 40 +/- miles round trip.

Any updates on a possible route? If not then I’ll use one of the routes described in the thread.

I’m with KenH on this; don’t care about dipping my tire, but would like to ride border to border.

Jesse Coe, May 22, 2017 at 1:11 pm

The wheel dip would be nice, but my goal is to actually ride grin the western border. It just so happens that all of Iowa’s western (and eastern) border is defined by river.

I have a bit of road support, so I’m just gonna get dropped off in Hawarden on Saturday and make my way to Orange City.

W Fanning, May 22, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Hi.. I talked to someone earlier today, there possibly working on a safe route for all riders to ride.. no mention of shuttles..more to follow.. as there been a lot of inquiries… I know I’m interested…

Jesse Coe, May 22, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Nice. If nothing else, I was thinking dipping just by the train bridge near the IA/SD border on 10, then going through town to get up north to then take 440th all the way east to Orange City.

John Weber, May 22, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Keep checking he Orange City RAGBRAI website for an official route from Carr’s Landing in Hawarden to Orange City. We do not plan on providing a shuttle to the Big Sioux, but will provide information on the safest route to travel (it is exactly 31 miles from Carr’s Landing to the main campsite by this route).
Orange City also plans on providing a unique tire dipping option, by trucking in water from the Missouri River and putting it in our windmill lined canal in Windmill park downtown, and letting riders dip in the canal. Will make for an awesome picture to start RAGBRAI! People seem to love this idea, and we’re excited to offer it.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI