Wheeldippers: XLV Edition

OK, fellow wheeldippers…

It looks like a 45 mile round trip from Orange City to Harwarden and back via Highway 10. Does anyone know if the boat launch near the Harwarden firehouse is public access?

Another option would be the 48 mile round trip via 420th St. to the public boat launch to the Big Sioux at Oak Grove Park. Looks like a ton of confinement lots on that route.

Anyone from the Sioux Center area have thoughts on riding Highway 10 vs. 420th (or other options)?

John

8 Replies

W Fanning, January 22, 2017 at 7:12 am

I’m open to the idea… possibly do it Saturday.. will follow this forum with interest..

Groeny82, January 22, 2017 at 9:30 am

Looks like there could be a public access on the northern part of the town. If you look on Google Earth it would be on Ave C and 22nd St, its just south of the ponds that they have about 4 or 5 blocks. It might even be the same one you are talking about John.

genefruit, January 22, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I plan on riding to Hawarden on Saturday and I expect there will be one or more dip spots advertised by the locals in exchange for a donation. Although no Google street view is present, B58 going through Maurice and Ireton looks like an alternative route that I would expect to have less traffic. Might even return back through Sioux Center just to see the area.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18638288

W Fanning, January 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Good idea genefruit.. I plan to get there Friday night… get up early crank out 60 miles.. Dip our wheels by 10am.. be done by 2pm… then Saturday night fun… I’ll be watching…

garider, January 22, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Read the Floyd river is near Orange City and feeds the Missouri river. May be a substitute? I know on Saturday the roads can be daunting with incoming riders. A long ride on busy roads could be tough. Don’t want to see anything like last year’s fatality.

Brian Wallenburg, January 22, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Head south out of Orange City two miles to 470th, then head west to Hawarden. Significantly less traffic than Hwy 10. A few extra miles, but probably quite a bit more enjoyable. You’ll bike past two small towns, Ireton and Maurice. 53 miles round trip.

KenH, January 24, 2017 at 8:29 am

I hope the Register will work with the local communities to provide a safe route to an equally safe dip site. The Missouri River site last year was announced fairly late in the game, hopefully they will announce one earlier this year. I would not want to see last year’s fatality repeated either but if there is a safe route and site I would take advantage of it. The reports I read say that the cyclist who was killed on the way to the dip site last year was taking US 34 rather than the designated route. I think this highlights the importance of using the official routes. The earlier a route is defined and announced the more of us will see it and use it.

The border to border aspect of the ride is important enough for enough people that the Register should insist on it rather than accepting the start town’s plan to provide a substitute. From what I read in Karras’ book both the wheel dips started as a joke but the joke instantly became a hallowed tradition and not providing for the western border wheel dip should be as unthinkable as not providing for the eastern border dip in the Mississippi. I don’t personally NEED to do either one but I won’t bother with a dip in a pool of trucked in water or in a stream that flows into a brook that eventually flows into the Missouri River. Those are just pointless pseudo-religious rituals that convey no benefit. Actually riding from one border to the other is a much more satisfying (and therefore satisfying) ritual for me and many others.

Will have to see what the rest of the team wants to do but we might even drive the support vehicle to the site when we arrive on Saturday, dip our tires, and then just do a one way ride to Orange City. No, we won’t draft behind the support vehicle!

beaglebaby, January 24, 2017 at 10:32 am

I emailed the mayor of Hawarden, the police chief replied the following:

First of all let me be the first to welcome you to Hawarden. My name is Mike DeBruin and I am the Chief of Police in Hawarden. Gary Tucker, City Administrator, forwarded me your email for a response.

We do have a boat dock with river access right here in Hawarden at a park called Carr’s Landing. Now depending how deep the river is at that time of year will depend on if you will be able to dip your tire right at the end of the boat dock or if you will have to walk out on the sand. Either way you will be able to dip your tires. Another option is a Sioux County Park called Oak Grove. They also have a nice boat ramp that is very accessible.

There are several different ways to get from Hawarden to Orange City. Of course the fastest way would be Highway 10. I am going to assume on the first day of RAGBRAI there will be a lot of bicycle traffic on Highway 10 going in between Hawarden and Orange City. I am assuming that the some of the other riders, much like yourself, will want to do the full state ride, not start 22 miles from the west border. 460th Street is all gravel and would not be an option in my opinion. B-58 is a less traveled black top road with gravel shoulders, that would be an option. There are other options that would add a little more time and distance and if you are interested in those I would be happy to share those.

I wish you and your family a safe and enjoyable ride this year and if there is any way I can be of more assistance please let me know.

Mike DeBruin, Chief
Hawarden Police Department

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI