Where are teams from?

Is there a way on the RAGBRAI web site to filter the list of teams to a specific geography?

5 Replies

Aaron Norgrant, February 2, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Not sure on that one. But myself, my wife, and my buddy and his wife will be riding. My buddy and myself are from Lake City IA, my wife is from Sumter SC, my buddies wife is from NYC. My wife and I live in Texas, my buddy and his wife live in Kansas…..we are military so we are scattered all over the place. Makes for some interesting logistics…..but can’t wait to ride. My buddy and I did the Hotter n Hell Hundred last year in Wichita Falls TX where I live in 7 hrs 18 minutes….actually talked the wife into riding in RAGBRAI and the HHH this year…..picking up her bike tomorrow!!!!!

A-Aron

mootsman, February 3, 2017 at 7:35 am

Unless they put some hint as to their location in the team name I don;t know of a way to tell.

If you’re looking for a team to join especially if you’re from out of state, an Iowa based team has some advantages:

1) If you are driving to RAGBRAI they start and end in the same base town. That makes logistics easy and usually they have parking.
2) If flying in you pick a team based in an Iowa town with a regional airport. Des Moines is always a good town for that but so are others.

Charters are a good option also for the same reasons.

If you want to find a team from your area or at least on the way to Iowa from your area, what is your area? Put the in the title of a new forum post like “Looking for Teams in Tennessee”. They’ll respond if they are looking for additional riders. I’ve found riders for our team that put their area in the forum post.

KenH, February 3, 2017 at 10:39 am

I agree that there can be advantages to going with an Iowa team. If you can arrange your own transportation (various charters can shuttle you, your bike, and your gear from the end town to the start town, for a fee) then you can go with a team based anywhere really. Pick the one that seems to match your personal riding and partying (or not!) style the best. There are teams that don’t really have a “home base”. They come from all over the nation/world and while they will help you ride across Iowa during the week you may be on your own before and after the ride.

However, if you would like to find a team near you that you can train with and that can transport you from near home to Iowa then obviously you want a local team where “local” is near enough to your home to make your logistics work out.

This seems like a legitimate need for many potential RAGBRAI riders. Why don’t you write the RAGBRAI help desk and suggest that they add location information to the team registration form and provide a way to search on it? They are generally quite helpful although a request like this could take some time to implement even if they agree that it is a need that should be addressed. Might not happen this year….

mootsman, February 3, 2017 at 1:01 pm

While the members of a team may be from all over the team bus (van, etc..) always has a home-base where they stage out of and back to. So for example if someone flies to RAGBRAI they could find a team in or near Des Moines and fly there. Even ship their bike to where the bus will be the week before. And if they drive to RAGBRAI that home-base for the bus could be anywhere.

John L, February 4, 2017 at 11:01 am

Slowly Rollers! We are from Louisiana and we are 2 strong. See you on the road, lpprice and A A Ron

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015