RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Where does the money go?

I posed this question earlier in a longer post, but didn’t get much of a response. 

Where does the money go from registered riders?  $150 spread out over 10,000 official, along with day passes sold as well, seems to be a pretty hefty hunk of change.

Besides the SAG’s, baggage trucks and staff, and the few support vehicles I saw, they’re seems to be little overhead for this event.  Plus they seem to be making money at the merchandise booth as well.

Is this a for-profit event? 

42 Replies

DotComFactory, August 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm

RaleighRider said: I just would not ride without a wristband.  If I got hurt, or needed help, I would feel like such a dead-beat low life.

Well said.

ts, August 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

RaleighRider said: I just would not ride without a wristband.  If I got hurt, or needed help, I would feel like such a dead-beat low life.

I would feel like one even if I didn’t get hurt or needed help.

David Elkow, August 8, 2011 at 5:58 am

ts said:

I would feel like one even if I didn’t get hurt or needed help.

You are absolutely right!

RonB, August 8, 2011 at 8:07 am

Noontidal said: ………. The ride was fun, but that fun was made by most of the 10-20k paying participantsing, not the wizards behind the curtain.

There FIFY !

CyclingRoberto, August 8, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Sure, it’s simple.  Throw up a couple thousand signs, line-up a trainload of KYBO’s, hire off-duty ISP and make sure they are well taken care of, arrange for a large fleet of emergency medical teams, register 15,000 riders, fill their requests for merchandise, register the charters, register the vendors, select the route, get approval from all the towns, promote the event, line up the entertainment, and make sure it all happens seamlessly.  Piece of cake.  Hardly worth the price of admission especially when the honor system is in place.  Just ride!  Anybody could pull this off, so why pay?

“Bicycle Bill”, August 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm

+ 1 , Roberto.

-“BB”-

jdvxc, August 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Simply stated:
RAGBRAI is just another opportunity to be a consumer.
They offer a product, put a price on it, and I get to decide if there is value.
Same thing when I buy a TV…
… or Potato Chips
… or a Cell Phone
… or a Cheeseburger
… or a $1 bottle of water

this was my first RAGBRAI, and I traveled a long way to get there…
To be honest, wasn’t sure where I stood on this issue, but after experiencing it… everything that RAGBRAI is happens because of the people who pay for it, and those who claim they do not use any services and shouldn’t have to pay are full of crap.  And if any of the bandit riders still feel justified, then go find some other week to ride the route.  I am sure you will have exactly the same experience.

Michrider !!!, August 10, 2011 at 7:31 am

I always wonder where my money goes!  Gatorade, beer, pie, beer, pork, beer, where does it all go??????  Thankfully there are ATM’s in Iowa!!!!!

SFC JKL 2, August 10, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Michrider-  You remind me of a quote from old golfer Walter Hagen.  A reporter asked him what he thought his handicap would be this season.  Walter said “drinking and debauchery”

SSC1, August 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Noontidal said: So much BS trying to defend the outlandish fee.  The apologists must assume nobody has ever done a budget nor can they look up and notice how low the overhead for such an event is.  Ragbrai is not non-profit, and you can bet anything you like that if they were somehow cutting it ‘close’ they would jack up the fee.

Some of the funds go to charity, or so they claim.  However, there really is nothing to substantiate this aside from their word.

Though there is a simple solution for anyone who doesn’t like it.  Just don’t pay it.  Easy as that.  The apologists may invent any lies they like why that would somehow be ‘bad’, but it’s just an invention of their imagination, nothing substantial.  I don’t roll that way, but it is a valid option.

“blow peoples’ minds”  hahahahaha, what a crook.

Noontitdal is entilted to his opinion – even if it appears to based on nothing but conjecture and guesswork.  Unless he has seen the books – he doesn’t – literally cannot – know what money goes toward and if a profit is made.  Further, it is so cynical and paranoid to believe that an entire production – such as the one that creates Ragbrai each year – is filled with unsavory, money-hungry, cheating, low-lifes who’s only goal is to rip off unsuspecting bicycle riders.

RaleighRider said, “From my perspective, this whole debate is absurd……..”  I agree with most of his position (I especially appreciate his upbeat thinking about Ragbrai), but I disagree with the quoted statement.  Debate is healthy – and the topic is a worthy one.  Some of us enjoy debate – but it is more fun when the debate is one that is based on fact and clear knowledge of facts, backed by experience.  Noontidal appears to have none of these qualities – so his debate is less debate than complain and heckle.   I find information presented by these kinds of stir-’em-up people (who love to see conflict) as useless- thus – the “debate” presented is moot (hey – maybe I’m agreeing with RaleighRider afterall!).

Yeah – wouldn’t it be great if we could all “just get along.”  It would be great if there was no war in the world, the Dow would remain even, and the jobless rate would just go away………but we live in an imperfect world with people like Noontidal who make it even less perfect.

$150 is nothing when it comes to what you get.  It is “insurance” in case you are hurt or injured, if your bike becomes inoperable, and, if none of the above, it still helps defray the cost of moving 10,000 + 50 lb. bags to each town.  If someone says that $150 is “jacked up” or “outlandish” they just do not know what they are talking about.  $150 can be saved by taking all the aluminum beer cans, pop cans, and every other type of aluminum that is recycled or thrown out to a recyling center for $.60 per pound.  Over the course of six months, just by collecting cans and turning them in, you can save the cost of a Rabrai registration.  If you work 40 hours a week and can’t afford the $150 still, mow your neighbor’s lawn or babysit your neighbor’s children for a couple of months instead of watching tv or going to the movies.  Quick and easy.  With Illinois’ minimum wage at $8 per hour, it would take 20 hours of work to save the registration amount.

I just don’t see that Noontidal has a position that can be defended.  Therefore – he just likes to see the conflict. 

Let me adjust MichRider’s question to say, “Noontidal, why can’t you just try to find something positive instead of negative in Ragbrai?”

Michrider !!!, August 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

SFC JKL2 said: Michrider-  You remind me of a quote from old golfer Walter Hagen.  A reporter asked him what he thought his handicap would be this season.  Walter said “drinking and debauchery”

I love that quote!!!!!

holymoly, August 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm

SFC JKL2 <FONT color=#35349a>said</FONT>: Michrider-  You remind me of a quote from old golfer Walter Hagen.  A reporter asked him what he thought his handicap would be this season.  Walter said “drinking and debauchery.

I am guilty of that in some regards….I spent most of money on women, booze and gambling. The rest I squandered away….

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI