RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Where have all the panniers gone?

I couldn’t help notice the total lack of people packed down in the pics from 2011 gallery. Are cycle tourist a relic of the past on RAGBRAI these days?

33 Replies

Formermidwester, May 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Ok now I’m getting nervous. Before I read my bike was referred to as vintage, now I read my tent is considered vintage. Will I now be a vintage retro relic bagger?

hez, April 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

I rode my first ragbrai in 1999 with support, and have bagged it every year since. Every year I see the number of baggers growing – in fact, where I ride at the back of the pack, it’s pretty much exclusively baggers. Showers are often difficult to find because we tend to get in after they close, and in the past few years the police have been shutting down food in pass through towns before we arrive, as well. It’s pretty crappy to show up in a town hungry, only to be told by vendors/restaurants that they have food, but were told not to sell it. Anyway, I would still never ride with support again – I love not having to be anywhere at any specific time. Look for team SKA (self kontained alcoholics) we will show you a good time.

Dan in Iowa, April 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I normally do RAGBRAI fully loaded (gear wise not, well, other wise!!) but with a trailer. I just enjoy the self sufficiency of it and being able to camp where ever looks good instead of being stuck near the RAGBRAI truck. There are quite a few baggers out there, but the party nature of this ride means we’re a minority. I’ll also do it as preparation for a 1200 mile ride in the fall. If I don’t pull the loaded trailer, I lose that kind of conditioning for when I need it. Boy am I fast when I drop the trailer in the campground and head out for food/entertainment in the evening!!!

Viewing 3 replies - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI