Where to next year?

Time to start speculating. Where are we going to next year? Pattern would indicate a northern route. Think the Mississippi River overnight town will be a thing or a one and done? Marquette/McGregor would be a fun finish.

40 Replies

Alan_50501, July 27, 2019 at 9:18 pm

Think around Humboldt eagle grove clarion should be towns seems it’s been awhile

Sunflower, July 28, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Manchester is due, so are Dubuque and Bellevue. Dubuque overnight, finish in Bellevue?

hcmross, July 28, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Agreed Dubuque County, and Dubuque should to be considered part of the 2020 route selection process. So here’s my route overview: Overnight at Dyersville, then to Petersburg, New Vienna, Holy Cross, (bit bias here – sorry folks) Balltown, (home to Iowa’s oldest food and drinking establishment with some of the best homemade pies) Sherrill, Sageville, and on into Dubuque. To add a bit more up and downs, we can head down into North Buena Vista as an optional elevation bruiser.
The Tollgate and Ridge Road (will be some of the most scenic routes you’ll ever see in Iowa as part of the Great River Road) and from Holy Cross to Balltown have just received an 8” lift of new asphalt for a smooth ride.
Other than Dyersville and Dubuque, I don’t believe RAGBRAI has ever visited these towns. Might even start the pre-ride inspection next weekend along with my 30 plus year RAGBRAI veteran and brother in-law to get a slice of that pie.

T. Gap Woo, July 28, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Several years ago, the politicians of Dubuque County wanted to charge an extra fee to recoup the cost of providing safety services that Ragbrai requires. Being far from Iowa, I never heard if this fee was ever enacted. I do know that Ragbrai has not been in Dubuque County since then. Therefore, unless the politicians have come to their senses (highly unlikely), I don’t think a Dubuque/Bellevue finish will happen.

I do foresee a Bellevue/LeClaire finish next year. Maybe Mike Wolfe’s experience this year will tilt the balance in favor of this! Imagine the economic boost for the area — Ragbrai ending one week, followed by Tugfest the next week. Antique Archaeology could even run their Kid Picker “flea market” in conjunction with one or both events.

See you along the I-O-Way in 2020.

Sunflower, July 29, 2019 at 12:26 am

I had forgotten that debacle with Dubuque. Bellevue to LeClaire would be even better.

I really like the 6 day crossing and one day on the river idea. I hope it becomes a regular feature.

Cory Rood, July 29, 2019 at 5:40 am

Several years ago, the politicians of Dubuque County wanted to charge an extra fee to recoup the cost of providing safety services that Ragbrai requires. Being far from Iowa, I never heard if this fee was ever enacted. I do know that Ragbrai has not been in Dubuque County since then. Therefore, unless the politicians have come to their senses (highly unlikely), I don’t think a Dubuque/Bellevue finish will happen.

I do foresee a Bellevue/LeClaire finish next year. Maybe Mike Wolfe’s experience this year will tilt the balance in favor of this! Imagine the economic boost for the area — Ragbrai ending one week, followed by Tugfest the next week. Antique Archaeology could even run their Kid Picker “flea market” in conjunction with one or both events.

See you along the I-O-Way in 2020.

If we never went back to the Quad Cities I’d be happy. Worst ending town IMO. If were gonna do the overnight on the Mississippi, I’d suggest Guttenburg to Marquette.

Cory Rood, July 29, 2019 at 5:49 am

Agreed Dubuque County, and Dubuque should to be considered part of the 2020 route selection process. So here’s my route overview: Overnight at Dyersville, then to Petersburg, New Vienna, Holy Cross, (bit bias here – sorry folks) Balltown, (home to Iowa’s oldest food and drinking establishment with some of the best homemade pies) Sherrill, Sageville, and on into Dubuque. To add a bit more up and downs, we can head down into North Buena Vista as an optional elevation bruiser.
The Tollgate and Ridge Road (will be some of the most scenic routes you’ll ever see in Iowa as part of the Great River Road) and from Holy Cross to Balltown have just received an 8” lift of new asphalt for a smooth ride.
Other than Dyersville and Dubuque, I don’t believe RAGBRAI has ever visited these towns. Might even start the pre-ride inspection next weekend along with my 30 plus year RAGBRAI veteran and brother in-law to get a slice of that pie.

Cascade to Dubuque via Farley, Holy Cross, Balltown, and Sherrill would be my choice. finish at A.Y. McDonald Park. Great surface for the whole route.

I don’t think Petersburg from Dyersville would fly though. There isn’t enough draw there to make up for what would end up being a lack of services(would be similar to this year’s day 4 and 5 pass throughs)

This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Cory Rood.

Brady Bisgard, July 29, 2019 at 10:31 am

West Des Moines and Marion are two of the bigger towns to have never hosted overnight. I wouldn’t be shocked if it hit one of them.

turtlePacker, July 29, 2019 at 10:38 am

Both would WDM & Marion on same route would be great! But implies more central route than north.

reedkennethia, July 29, 2019 at 11:26 am

I think we will have a Le Mars or Rock Rapids to Clinton or LeClair route next year. We could go through towns like Humbolt and Iowa Falls, maybe the Cedar Rapids area. Those northernish routes are always the most fun.

T. Gap Woo, July 29, 2019 at 5:10 pm

LeMars to LeClaire is perfect. Mrs Woo and I can hit the Blue Bunny ice cream parlor at the beginning of the festivities and top off the week at the Wide River Winery shop. The only way this route could be better is if it went through Pella, where Mrs Woo and I can enjoy letter cookies and Dutch meats. Yum!

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

Brian Wallenburg, July 29, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Rock Rapids, Hawarden, Lemars or Sioux Center for a start town. Then the ride continues east on a northern route.

cyduke, July 30, 2019 at 6:28 am

West Des Moines and Marion are two of the bigger towns to have never hosted overnight. I wouldn’t be shocked if it hit one of them.

Marion was an overnight in 1994. It was our century day from Marshaltown. Team Skunk stayed at a private residence that had a swimming pool, and the owners BBQ’ for us.

jwsknk, July 30, 2019 at 12:44 pm

I’ll give it an early go. Sergeant Bluff, Cherokee, Pocahontas, Webster City, Grundy Center, Independence, Dyersville, Guttenberg

Sunflower, July 30, 2019 at 2:06 pm

I’ll give it an early go. Sergeant Bluff, Cherokee, Pocahontas, Webster City, Grundy Center, Independence, Dyersville, Guttenberg

We’ve overnighted in Indy since the last overnight in Manchester. Unless there’s some bad blood there I would think Manchester would get priority over Indy.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015