Where to next year?

Time to start speculating. Where are we going to next year? Pattern would indicate a northern route. Think the Mississippi River overnight town will be a thing or a one and done? Marquette/McGregor would be a fun finish.

78 Replies

reedkennethia, December 9, 2019 at 4:44 pm

I don’t think the gravel loop is going anywhere. It’s a part of the ride now (just like the Karras loop). Dieter is a fan of gravel riding as well, so I would think it would be here to stay. If anything, I think more stuff will be added to RAGBRAI to make it more appealing to a younger crowd whilst keeping the appeal there for riders 35 and over.

KenH, December 10, 2019 at 9:55 am

Well, my thinking was that if anything needs to be cut this year because of the big shakeup, the gravel loop with its low ridership would be a likely choice. In itself cutting it would not save much time, effort, whatever but it would help and the outcry from riders would be minimal. Plus, it has been associated with the Hed family business and who knows what they plan to do this year? I think they were tight with TJ so will they shun RAGBRAI, stick with it, or do both?

On the other hand if Dieter is a gravel fan then we should be in good hands. Perhaps the Karras loop will be grave this year?!

garywilk, December 11, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I love the Karras loop (century) but really do not want to do gravel. I do hope they keep it for the bike reps to loan bikes or the riders that love gravel. It adds a bit of work but hopefully no rain.

garywilk, December 11, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Totally agree with KenH on the fact that there is a lot that goes into the route. Locations for the pork, icecream, kraft beer, and other venders people, including myself, love about RAGBRAI. Hope it is north because the small towns are the other things that bring people back year after year.

Larry Klaaren, December 11, 2019 at 12:39 pm

My understanding is that vendors and charters search their own sites. At least that is what a charter owner told me.

reedkennethia, December 11, 2019 at 2:39 pm

The Iowa Bicycle Coalition endorsed RAGBRAI today. It was announced on their Facebook page. I’m happy to see they came to their senses.

Sandaltan ., December 11, 2019 at 3:21 pm

RAGBRAI HAS MADE CHANGES: From Facebook……..

The Iowa Bicycle Coalition and Iowa Bicycling Action Fund boards of directors have voted to also endorse RAGBRAI. The key members of the boards and staff met with RAGBRAI staff to discuss their commitment to the safety and future success of the ride.

The past few weeks have allowed us to reflect on what bicycling means to Iowa. We have been involved with RAGBRAI for the past 16 years. The partnership with RAGBRAI has been integral to advancing our mission of promoting safe end enjoyable bicycling through education, events, better policy, and a growing community of supporters.

Moving forward, we believe RAGBRAI is committed to enhance Iowa bicycle advocacy, promote bicycling culture overall, and contribute toward the state of Iowa’s reputation and economic vibrancy. The proposed changes shared with the board were positive for Iowa and we look forward to the implementation.

Dieter Drake will have a fresh perspective to lead RAGBRAI. Wes Hall returns to the event much needed institutional knowledge and relationships. They are focused to continue the iconic annual bicycle ride across Iowa, not only in 2020 but for many years to come.

For 47 years, RAGBRAI is woven into Iowa’s culture and tradition. This new era in Iowa bicycling has the potential for greater success and opportunity. We look forward to the future of Iowa bicycling.

RIDE RIGHT

Jose Medina, December 11, 2019 at 4:47 pm

That does not surprise me. They jumped at endorsing the Iowa ride as the ride of the future for Iowa. That is why I dropped my membership. I wonder how many others did the same thing.I still have their email about their endorsement of the Iowa Ride.

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Jose Medina.

KenH, December 12, 2019 at 2:58 pm

I am glad that IBC has endorsed RAGBRAI. A group like IBC has absolutely no business favoring one ride over another. If they support bicycling then they must support ALL rides that meet some minimum standards. I don’t know what their standards are, or should be, but there is no possible universe in which RAGBRAI fails to meet them!

reedkennethia, December 12, 2019 at 3:02 pm

A group like IBC has absolutely no business favoring one ride over another.

This is why I feel Mark Wyatt should step down as head of the IBC. His credibility and the credibility of the IBC has been tarnished by this. I no longer feel he can adequately lobby or be an advocate on behalf of cyclists in the state of Iowa.

Dan Struss, December 12, 2019 at 4:10 pm

I have been saying for a couple of years, where RAGBRAI 2020 was going. Now with the RAGBRAI emblem as a clue, it has to be. The guitar with a musical note, it has to go by Wadena. The 50th anniversary of the Wadena Rock Festival. Just a guess from a 4 timer RAGBRAIer old man raised in Wadena.

Joseph Schlau, December 12, 2019 at 7:06 pm

What happened to the forum topic on the IBC this morning?

Joseph Schlau, December 12, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Time to start speculating. Where are we going to next year? Pattern would indicate a northern route. Think the Mississippi River overnight town will be a thing or a one and done?

Dubuque would be a logical end town. They usually do about an 8 year cycle and seem due.

Jose Medina, December 12, 2019 at 8:42 pm

Good question . I do not trust IBC. They are the Trojan Horse of Ragbrai. I would not trust them with any information. Wyatt and TJ are tight.

Ben There, December 12, 2019 at 9:26 pm

Weird huh?

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015