Which Ride Will "Win"?

It should be an interesting Winter, with both rides attempting to attract riders. I believe that tradition will carry more weight than disatisfaction over editorial decisions, and RAGBRAI will continue to be successful.

107 Replies

BarryTantlinger, October 19, 2019 at 11:36 am

JBoz, so this is a case of “Ragbrai is too popular, nobody goes there anymore”? More people ride every year, but many riders don’t like it? That reasoning just doesn’t make sense.

TJ is either being political or opportunistic. I don’t care for either.

Sandaltan ., October 19, 2019 at 1:13 pm

“TJ is either being political or opportunistic. I don’t care for either.”
BarryT: Neither of those. He wished to be transparent and truthful with the many riders who questioned “where does my merchandise and rider fee dollar go…to the Des Moines Register corporate coffers or stay with RAGBRAI?” TJ was not permitted to go on the record and publicly answer that question….while working for a newspaper that loudly announces that they are defenders of the First Amendment. Of course there is no First Amendment application here but I think a few can see the irony.
I see a man of courage and principle.

RIDE RIGHT

Logan Foltz, October 19, 2019 at 1:20 pm

“TJ is either being political or opportunistic. I don’t care for either.”
BarryT: Neither of those. He wished to be transparent and truthful with the many riders who questioned “where does my merchandise and rider fee dollar go…to the Des Moines Register corporate coffers or stay with RAGBRAI?” TJ was not permitted to go on the record and publicly answer that question….while working for a newspaper that loudly announces that they are defenders of the First Amendment. Of course there is no First Amendment application here but I think a few can see the irony.
I see a man of courage and principle.

RIDE RIGHT

Do you really think the DMR was going to fire TJ if he clarified this issue? And if they did… how would he look any worse?

Sandaltan ., October 19, 2019 at 2:17 pm

“Do you really think the DMR was going to fire TJ if he clarified this issue? And if they did… how would he look any worse?”
Logan: I have never given any thought to the DMR firing TJ.

RIDE RIGHT Iowa has bested Purdue and ISU will beat the Red Raiders. Time to walk down to be brew pub.

Jboz, October 19, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Nobody knows what the conversations between TJ and the DMR were like except for the folks directly involved. I will make no assumptions other that people don’t leave 16 year jobs unless they are unhappy. I’ve done the mental math on Iowa’s Ride and TJ isn’t doing this for the money. So without knowledge of all the details, I’m inclined to give TJ the benefit of the doubt.

Logan Foltz, October 19, 2019 at 2:31 pm

I’m doubting TJ’s credibility because he was making comments on the KXNO interview, speculating that he thought ridership could drop 50% and he would be asked to lay off half of his staff. It very much sounded like he was grasping at straws to justify starting a new ride. As someone trying to understand this from afar, it seems like a gigantic tempest in a teapot. The “opportunist” perception stems from TJ starting a competing ride before push ultimately came to shove.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Logan Foltz.

Rodcrosgrove, October 20, 2019 at 9:25 am

I don’t one ride to win. I want there to be one ride. Please all, Register and TJ find a way to fix this.

“Bicycle Bill”, October 20, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Do you really think the DMR was going to fire TJ if he clarified this issue?

Has anybody from the Register ever clarified why Chuck Offenburger (who was one of the ride hosts back in the 1990s) was stripped of his “Iowa Boy” column and dismissed from his position with the Register?  And how about the kerfluffle that resulted when award-winning cartoonist Brian Duffy (who also, if I remember correctly, served as co-host following Offenburger’s departure) was given the bum’s rush out the door under the guise of “cost-cutting” mandates by Gannett management elsewhere?  He even had to sue to get his 25 years’ worth of original cartoon artwork back!!  And when long-time wagonmaster Don Benson or Inspector Greenie (circulation manager for the Register and, according to Offenburger, the man responsible for rescuing RAGBRAI’s reputation in the middle 1990s) decided to retire and step down, it doesn’t seem like the DMR made any real effort to retain them.  In fact, it was Greene’s leaving that caused the the mantle of RAGBRAI Director to pass on to TJ’s shoulders.

And, of course, the recent dismissal of Aaron Calvin only serves to point out that when the big bosses make up their minds, no one’s job is safe, and I’m sure TJ was all-too-clearly aware of this fact as well.

So yeah, Logan, if the DMR had wanted to fire TJ over his efforts to pull back the shades as to where the monies from RAGBRAI went, he’d have been on the sidewalk outside of 400 Locust Street so fast his shadow would have had to run to keep up.

Rodcrosgrove, October 20, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Maybe this is the way for TJ to make his statement, and the register to make right. He sets up a ride the same week which IMO is the right thing to do. Then he is hoping the register will give him the ride to save face. Maybe, I doubt it , but maybe.

Gene, October 20, 2019 at 4:17 pm

There are No winners. RAGBRAI,Iowa bikes and the riders are all losers.

hnschipper, October 20, 2019 at 5:40 pm

I feel like our parents are getting divorced and the riders are caught in the middle of the custody battle, having to choose sides. I don’t want to choose sides. I just want to ride my bike.

BarryTantlinger, October 20, 2019 at 7:29 pm

I feel like our parents are getting divorced and the riders are caught in the middle of the custody battle, having to choose sides. I don’t want to choose sides. I just want to ride my bike.

This + a million.

I’ve pretty much decided I won’t enable either party and will be riding elsewhere if I go for a bike vacation next year, which is a shame as 2020 would been my first leisurely post-retirement Ragbrai.

Sandaltan ., October 20, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Good grief! Why all the crepe hanging? There will still be a RAGBRAI. You can all sign up and ride.
The DMR has said so in their blog and in print…that is a commitment they dare not break. I expect them to name a director within ten days.

RIDE RIGHT

David C., October 21, 2019 at 5:56 am

I just don’t understand why you think its even remotely possible that the Register will hire TJ back. If you were a manager and an employee resigned and went to the media about their grievances, would you? If so, you have my respect. I believe you are the exception.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  David C.. Reason: grammar

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  David C..

bamatommy, October 21, 2019 at 11:16 am

anyone see this new ride as a pure business move? RAGBRAI has gotten so big it is a tempting target. Grab some of the money….

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015