Who cheated?

1.) On Karras Loop, going counter-clock wise and thus shortened the total distance by about 10 miles?
2.) Bypass the U-shape section of route through Geode State Park and thus shortened by about 5 miles?
3.) Signed up for the full week but exit at Burlington?

Although I have 500 miles but I skipped the last mile to tire-dipping site once I saw my team bus parked behind the downtown Casey’s in Keokuk.

17 Replies

just randy, July 31, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Appreciate your humor about the RABRAI experience.
You already know there is no check-in, staring line or finish line.
Although my brother and I biked all the way to the river, we did not dip. I guess we did not officially finish as a result. All who participated are winners in Winterset.

Who cheated? All the teams who have team buses and coordinating bike kits, yet do not wear wristbands and choose not to fund the Karris/Kaul statue.
Hey kids – let’s get this done while we are all alive!
Period.

This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  just randy.

SFC JKL 2, July 31, 2019 at 9:47 pm

I’ll admit we cheated. Spent Friday night at a house in West Point. I really wanted to see the Spazmatics. My understanding is we really didn’t miss much on the round trip. I’m sure I’ll feel guilty and make it up later since I live in Quincy and make it up to Burlington a couple times a month.

Geoff Butland, August 1, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Haha…on the Karras loop I was headed out from the resort after collecting my patch and was being passed by a tandem when a salmon swam by….there was a light-hearted “cheater!” from the tandem that gave us all a chuckle. It’s all good!

jwsknk, August 2, 2019 at 10:21 pm

4) the people who rode to the meeting town then loaded up on a team bus.?

Sandaltan ., August 3, 2019 at 7:34 pm

“Spent Friday night at a house in West Point.” I have always enjoyed passing through West Point, for some reason I have always thought they really give us a good welcome. Would like to see them as an overnight some day. SFC….when are you gonna make E-8?

RIDE RIGHT

SFC JKL 2, August 3, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Gave up on that years ago. Career E7. I’ll be retired before next year’s ride.

LawnchairMan, August 3, 2019 at 9:54 pm

You could say I cheated a little. Our charter camped in West Burlington Friday night so we didn’t go the main campground. That probably cut off two miles each way. I still got 75 miles the last day. I did the dip site and rode to my car. I dipped in the Missouri and I did a couple of rides in the towns, so I think it’s a wash. I got 513 miles for the week.

hnschipper, August 4, 2019 at 8:29 am

We got to Walnut City later in the day (I think it was somewhere atriums 4:30.) Saw a large group of riders coming off the loop in the wrong direction. Also saw many riders starting the loop that late in the day.

Barry Schnoor, August 5, 2019 at 9:16 am

Putting it here because I can’t figure out how to start my own Forum Subject.

Who cheated? I’m not sure if this is cheating, or inconsistent with RAGBRAI culture, or if I’m just missing the boat somehow.

There was a large team group who, in ‘Nola, “reserved” a shady space, about 1/4 the size of a football field for a team that didn’t need nearly that much room. When I arrived at the middle school, there were a dozen trees with no tents under them. I dropped my gear there to start setting up my tent, when the “leader” of the team came and told me I couldn’t put my tent there, because she scoped out the space a month ago and was saving that space for her team.

To my knowledge, this team is not a charter. (And do Charters pay an additional fee for the privilege of securing their space for their hundreds of tents?) Rather, this is a group that just wanted their space, without putting up tents. They *did* encircle the whole area with police tape. Question for the forum: Can they DO that?

I called the leader a “horrible person,” and then walked away before anything escalated. It wasn’t worth it. I picked up all my stuff and moved to a different place.

And I had to chuckle toward the end of the day when their tents were sitting in full afternoon sun because the team had failed to take into account the fact that shadows move as the sun travels across the sky. So there!

I also commented to my teammates that I had finally found someone in Iowa who isn’t “Iowa Nice,” and who clearly doesn’t adhere to the generous spirit of RAGBRAI.

And I’ll also accept that I’m the one being the jerk here, who responded negatively at the end of a day of riding. This is a jury of peers, after all.

bugs11, August 5, 2019 at 9:26 am

We dipped at Montrose. I ended up with 530 miles on my odometer. I didn’t cheat on the Karras loop, but saw quite a few that did.

Raymond Smith, August 7, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Define Cheating. A number of years ago we were overnight in Waterloo, when I-380 was under construction. As we were riding out in the morning we crossed and interstate overpass. I was from that area and knew that I-380 was the only interstate east of Waterloo at that time. It was not opened yet, but the roadway was all poured and they were working on the shoulders. The RAGBRAI route took the ride thru Brandon, which was only 3 miles off I-380 and 10 miles from the overpass I was at. In an instant, I was on the highway and enjoying the solitude of 4 lanes of concrete. Just me and a few cement trucks delivering concrete to where they were pouring shoulders. It was the most peaceful and serene 10 miles of RAGBRAI I have ridden, and at that point I had been on at least 20 rides.
Now, was that cheating or Devine Inspiration?

Barry Schnoor, August 10, 2019 at 5:28 pm

There’s some divinity in there, Raymond. You were just riding your own ride…(at your own risk, of course…)

Kathy Findley, August 11, 2019 at 6:35 am

Does anyone have a century – loop patch they would be willing to give up?
Have a son who did century loop last year missed the “getting the patch”
went this year – he was registered – got to the trailer to get patch and closed up due to after 4 pm
wrote to ragbrai people just got the response of can’t help.
i understand if can’t but dang 2 years in a row now. Anyone willing to give up?

Tom Hotle, August 11, 2019 at 12:29 pm

I’ve got a Karras loop patch I’ll give up. Send me an email with your address and I’ll mail it to you.

Tom Hotle, August 19, 2019 at 12:46 pm

OK, I put it in the mail today, you should get it Wednesday or Thursday.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015