Who here will be riding BOTH Iowa Ride and RAGBRAI?

Don’t give a shit about the politics involved…just super excited to across the state two times 🙂

Might do it self-supported for Iowas Ride and then have the trailer carry my stuff for RAGBRAI (maybe a good training technique???)

Adding an extra speaker (boombox) on the back of the bike for extra THUMPIN’ and BUMPIN’!

116 Replies

FusoRider, January 25, 2020 at 12:17 am

If somebody else were organizing a complementary ride, I might be interested in both. But I find TJ’s motives and actions reprehensible. From everything I’ve read and heard about the Register controversy, he didn’t leave the Register out of concern for what’s best for Iowa and the cycling community, he just saw an opportunity to try to profit off an unfortunate situation. I only go on organized rides that support good causes and celebrate good people. RAGBRAI does both. The Iowa Ride will do neither.

John Little, January 25, 2020 at 12:50 am

Please do make every effort to avoid associating with those of us who celebrate bad causes and bad people.

FusoRider, January 25, 2020 at 1:09 am

Will do!

Papa T, January 25, 2020 at 9:05 am

Comon’ man! In the words of the great Freddie M. “Get on your bikes and RIDE!!”

John Richardson, January 25, 2020 at 9:52 am

Well said Papa T and I’m really looking forward to doing just that!

John Little, January 25, 2020 at 3:28 pm

Doesn’t matter if it’s biking or badminton or chess, some people just can’t help but spew bitterness wherever they go.

Cheers to everyone who just wants to have an awesome time riding both ways across the state of Iowa. I’ve never tuned in to a route announcement party before, but I will tonight. I’m so much looking forward to a favorable connection possibility between IR end and RAGBRAI start. After thinking more about it, I guess I don’t care all the much about where RAGBRAI ends. I’m thinking about parking at RAGBRAI end town, wherever that may be, and biking to the IR start.

This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by John Little.

SFC JKL 2, January 25, 2020 at 4:31 pm

TJ was worried about Ragbrai being harmed by being associated with fake news DMR. It took serious balls to do what he did. I agree with him morally. He just underestimated brand loyalty. Hopefully it ends up win-win. Since I’m getting closer to unlimited free time, two weeks sounds better than one.

John Little, January 25, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Awesome! Le Mars is only 45 miles from Rock Rapids. IR rides can just turn South and keep riding to the start of RAGBRAI!

John Little, January 25, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Click for Google map of all towns:

2020 Iowa’s Ride plus RAGBRAI

Papa T, January 26, 2020 at 7:19 am

Looking for a plan to do both routes. I live in Chicago area so i drive to Dubuque, dump my gear off, drive to Clinton, leave my car and ride my bike back to Dubuque (60 Mi). (so far so good) then do the Iowa’s ride for which I (obviously) need support. When I get to Sheldon, I ride my bike to LeMars, NOT Rock rapids and ride Ragbrai back to Clinton. Drive my car back to Chicago. Easy-Breasy. Not sure how I get my gear from my IR ride to Ragbrai. and I still neeed support for Ragbrai, Details, details.

William Weber, January 26, 2020 at 7:50 am

I plan to ride both aw well and I’m very happy with both routes. As far as logistics are concerned, here is my plan. I will use Bubba for both weeks. I will use the long term parking in Dubuque for the start of Iowa’s ride. Hopefully they will have a two week option. For Saturday’s ride from Sheldon, I will ride the 34 miles southwest to Le Mars. Bubba’s team will know to move my bags to the start of Ragbrai instead of pickup in Rock Rapids. I will then ride Ragbrai as far as Maquoketa. On Saturday of Ragbrai I will then ride the 31 miles north to Dubuque and long term parking for my car. I hope Bubba will be willing to send a vehicle with our luggage to the long term parking in Dubuque. If not, I drive to Clinton and pick it up. Either way, I will research where a local aquatic center is located and take a shower before the long drive back to Detroit.

sjrs88, January 26, 2020 at 8:15 am

My plan is to ride both weeks, but two factors play into that: HS softball teams success and healing of my shoulder (surgery 1/9, surgeon told me I would be cleared for any and all activity 6 months after which puts me at 7/9. Whew!).

sjrs88, January 26, 2020 at 8:16 am

Some NW Iowa kiddos need to get their pick-ups and livestock trailers spiffied up and make some moola hauling riders from RR to LM!

John Richardson, January 26, 2020 at 9:27 am

Ah yes! I think the routes really compliment each other and Rock Rapids to Le Mars should be no problem. For several years I have done the ride self contained and will plan on doing it that way for both rides. Now I just need to plan out my route to Dubuque and my route back home to Missouri from Clinton.

Dizzy, January 27, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Papa T,
I like your thinking.
Friday, July 10: Home to Dubuque, drop off baggage in secure location; drive to Clinton, park in 2-wk, long-term parking, overnight in Clinton.
Saturday, July 11: Ride from Clinton to Dubuque w/cycling essentials; join Iowa’s Ride in Dubuque.

You have the advantage of coming from Chi-Town so you could potentially get all the travel done on Saturday.

That only leaves baggage transportation from RR to LM. “Get on your bikes,” indeed!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015