Who here will be riding BOTH Iowa Ride and RAGBRAI?

Don’t give a shit about the politics involved…just super excited to across the state two times 🙂

Might do it self-supported for Iowas Ride and then have the trailer carry my stuff for RAGBRAI (maybe a good training technique???)

Adding an extra speaker (boombox) on the back of the bike for extra THUMPIN’ and BUMPIN’!

116 Replies

Richard Arnopolin, January 28, 2020 at 8:27 am

Fast Eddy,
check out: https://oosbicycleclub.com/both-rides-information/
I’m a charter kinda rider and this fills my logistical needs.

Richard Arnopolin, January 28, 2020 at 8:39 am

PapaT:
the answers to our prayers arrived in my e-mail last night.
OOS is supporting BOTH rides.

https://oosbicycleclub.com/both-rides-information/

John Richardson, January 28, 2020 at 9:21 am

After studying the map it looks like the shortest and most direct way to ride from Rock Rapids to La Mars is Hwy 75 but it doesn’t appear that it has a shoulder/bike lane for much of the way and a high traffic count, more than 3000 daily. I’m thinking it might be wiser to take less traveled roads like K52 etc. although it would make the ride to La Mars much longer. Anyone familiar with these roads have any thoughts on this.

genefruit, January 28, 2020 at 10:12 am

I plan on taking this route if I ride “directly” there.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31747505

I’m also considering riding to Akron to dip and head on to Le Mars with this route.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31825700

Rene Borrero, January 28, 2020 at 11:48 am

am thinking about doing both ride, but many of us will face the same situation: I will need to leave my van in Clinton, two weeks before ragbrai is over. park on July 11th, from there, head back up to Dubuque and begin pedaling all the way to Rock Rapids, once I get there, find my way down to Ragbrai on the day of the Expo and pedal my way back to my van. our cars will be alone for two weeks periods. I will be nice to find a place that we can keep are vehicles safe

Ben There, January 28, 2020 at 12:52 pm

A.. Rock Rapids to La Mars is Hwy 75 but it … a high traffic count, more than 3000 daily. …

The traffic count on that day will be much higher with the Ragbrai swarm of buses, trucks and vans with trailers full of bikes, cars with bikes hanging out past their width… food for thought.

Chris, January 28, 2020 at 8:01 pm

Yeah, I’m with Ben There.

I don’t think it’ll be a low-risk endevour to ride from Rock Rapids to LeMars. With the traffic from IR and the traffic from RAGBRAI, yes, it’ll be possible, but it sure might not be pleasant.

I suspect the charters will step in and fill in the gaps here. With the route only 3 days old now, it’ll be a little while before the logistics come though to back up those doing the Double Cross.

This is going to be fun 🙂
-Chris

Jose Medina, January 28, 2020 at 11:28 pm

Riders are going to be disapointed if they think the Iowa Ride is Ragbrai. I have been hearing that communities are not investing like they do on Ragbrai. You are not going to have that roadside support of food and drink along the way. Who would invest time and money on supplies for a limited number of riders that may not even stop. The Iowa ride is going to be like your typical training ride. There is no ride that compares to Ragbrai when it comes to community support and attendance. Just ask about other state rides and you will understand.

John Richardson, January 29, 2020 at 9:40 am

Ha, we are all well aware of that Jose. I for one will not be disappointed at all. Thanks genefruit I’ll probably take a version of your first route since the tire dipping isn’t a big deal to me.

FusoRider, January 29, 2020 at 10:28 am

I agree Jose. I’m still trying to understand how people can be so excited about Iowa’s Ride. I have a good friend who’s planning to do it, and this year he’ll also be doing his 40th RAGBRAI. “What could be better than 14 days of cycling around Iowa?” he told me. I guess I have too much sentimental attachment with RAGBRAI, where I’ve had some of the best experiences on my bike. To me, Iowa’s Ride seems like an attempt to steal away some of RAGBRAI’s magic so that its organizer can pad his wallet and satisfy his ego. For the sake of those participating, I hope Iowa’s Ride goes well. My heart’s not in it.

John Little, January 29, 2020 at 10:38 am

You folks that keep coming into this thread, titled “Who here will be riding BOTH Iowa Ride and RAGBRAI?”, and who obviously have no intent to ride both but just want to spread your discontent and negativity…

really ought to take a step back and evaluate how pathetic your attitude is. Take your grumbling somewhere else. Certainly there are other threads where you can do that to your heart’s (mal)content. Why not leave this one to the people who are actually wanting to ride both and are excited about it. Are you trying to convince us otherwise? Why do you feel the need? Are you generally unhappy and spread discontent in your daily lives also?

GTFO and go be miserable elsewhere

genefruit, January 29, 2020 at 10:48 am

I agree Jose. I’m still trying to understand how people can be so excited about Iowa’s Ride.

I’m excited about Iowa’s Ride because it has the potential to be like RAGBRAI was (in my imagination) 40+ years ago. I’m probably underestimating but if there are more than 2,000 riders on Iowa’s Ride I’ll be surprised. With fewer riders, I expect finding people that are riding a similar pace and having longer conversations with less concern about navigating around others.

I’m not expecting a vendor every mile who has raided the local Sam’s Club/Costco. Every town on the route filled with local and out of towners lining the main street vending until 10pm or later. I expect I’ll feel less pressured to get to the overnight town in a timely manner, in fear due to riders and support teams consuming all the resources.

With all of that said, I’m also looking forward to all of those things the following week on RAGBRAI. It’s the best of both for me and I don’t expect I’m alone. With Iowa’s Ride moving to the prior week, it seems as though there is opportunity for both. I don’t expect RAGBRAI numbers will be negatively impacted at all by Iowa’s Ride.

Jose Medina, January 29, 2020 at 10:49 am

I totally agree with you FusoRider. If it wasn’t for some dedicated and wonderful people , we could have lost Ragbrai. Some people don’t understand that. WE Ragbraiers are extremely HAPPY !

francoisvanzyl, January 29, 2020 at 12:39 pm

I am with John Little here — you don’t like TJ’s ride, don’t do it. You don’t like RAGBRAI, don’t do it. You like both, do both. You don’t like either, don’t do either. Just quit the incessant whining. You guys are worse than my cat in the morning when we get up — drives me nuts.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015