Who here will be riding BOTH Iowa Ride and RAGBRAI?

Don’t give a shit about the politics involved…just super excited to across the state two times 🙂

Might do it self-supported for Iowas Ride and then have the trailer carry my stuff for RAGBRAI (maybe a good training technique???)

Adding an extra speaker (boombox) on the back of the bike for extra THUMPIN’ and BUMPIN’!

116 Replies

Kevin Brunk, February 1, 2020 at 2:04 pm

I’m signed up to do both, too. Hopefully I can figure out a long(er)-term parking strategy. I’m planning to ride east to west (Iowa’s Ride) using Bubba’s Pampered Peddalers and west to east (RAGBRAI) with Team Cow. I’d like to drop my bike, gear, etc. in Dubuque and then drive to and park my car in Clinton (for the two weeks). In Rock City, then, the challenge is to hitch a ride down to our meeting point in Le Mars. Cross your fingers, Bubba’s may solve that since they also offer their services on RAGBRAI, too. If anyone hears of services solving the bookends, let us know!

Jose Medina, February 1, 2020 at 4:48 pm

One thing I don’t understand is us Ragbraiers being criticized for voicing our opinions about the Iowa ride. Last time I checked, this is the RAGBRAI FORUM not the Iowa Ride Forum. If you don’t like our opinions I am sure the Iowa Ride has their own. You are in our house. I think that says a lot about their organization when you have to use this forum to make Iowa Ride plans.

John Little, February 1, 2020 at 5:19 pm

LOL. Does anyone know how to block seeing someone on this forum? Life is too short.

Jose Medina, February 1, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Wow ! I must have hit a nerve !!

John Little, February 2, 2020 at 10:08 am

Wow ! I must have hit a nerve !!

More accurately, reading an incessant complainer like you is like hearing the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard.

You apparently failed to notice that most of the people in this thread are riding BOTH rides, and you’re suggesting we either have to suffer reading your unpleasantness or leave. At least you’re making it clear what kind of person you are. There’s little doubt about that now.

Jose Medina, February 2, 2020 at 10:28 am

Hey John L. You need to start working on your ‘Iowa Nice ‘.

John Little, February 2, 2020 at 10:58 am

Hey John L. You need to start working on your ‘Iowa Nice ‘.

I’m perfectly fine until the yum yuckers start spewing. I’m the one from out of state advocating in favor of focusing on a good time for everyone, and here it’s the Iowan that keep spewing the negativity towards something he has no intention of doing.

Jose Medina, February 2, 2020 at 12:20 pm

The problem here is, John , you do not know the REAL WHOLE story about the start of the Iowa Ride. I live in Des Moines, Iowa and have first hand knowledge of what happened. Some of us are very protective of Ragbrai. I have seen families break up that have ridden for years together. I have seen clubs breakup. Teams fighting over team busses over this. Riders not talking to each other any more.I can go on and on and some things that I can’t put in print here. So ,yes some of us are very sentimental and sensitive about our support of Ragbrai. There is nothing good that has come of the Iowa Ride. Thank goodness for the new crew that has stepped in to save Ragbrai. That is why some of us will NEVER do the Iowa Ride. There is more to this than you think you know. It is more than just biking.

John Little, February 2, 2020 at 12:37 pm

Jose: I just want to ride both ways across the state, with other people who want to ride both ways across the state. That includes supporting RAGBRAI.

Since you’re not one of those people who want to ride both ways, how about just STFU on this thread and take it elsewhere? This thread obviously has nothing to do with you. You’re on a mission and just want to convince us we’re wrong. In reality, we’re just wanting to ride our bikes and have a good time.

So you’re really coming across as a total douchebag.

jelly0317, February 2, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Pot, meet kettle.

John Little, February 2, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Pot, meet kettle.

LOL. There’s nothing wrong at all with moving on and not holding onto a grudge or offense… Letting people enjoy themselves and be excited to do something epic.

Jose Medina, February 2, 2020 at 1:08 pm

John, that did not come from me. Remember , ‘Iowa Nice’. You have 6 months to work on that. God Bless You .

John Little, February 2, 2020 at 1:14 pm

Hilarious! I can’t wait for Iowa’s Ride!

tjdale57, February 2, 2020 at 9:03 pm

As it stands, OOS requires us to drive to Dubuque to drop off gear, then drive down to Clinton to park, with OOS shuttling folks back to Dubuque.

If you aren’t from the region, you might want to go between Clinton and Dubuque on the Illinois side and see Galena. Really neat historic town, set up for antiques and all that touristy stuff, the home of President and General U.S. Grant, if you are in to that sort of thing. Fulton, across the river from Clinton has an authentic Dutch windmill. I do not know when Dutch Daze is there, probably earlier in the year.

I am think of doing just that. I would be interested in hearing from folks who may be parking in Clinton and bagging it to Dubuque OR those who will bag it from IR to RAGBRAI at the switch over. I am thinking of skipping day 7 of IR and heading to RAGBRAI instead of going to Rock Rapids.

John Little, February 3, 2020 at 8:58 am

I think to finish IR in Rock Rapids and then ride on to LeMars would probably make for an 80 mile day on what will be IR Day7/RAGBRAI Day0.

I am considering parking in Clinton and riding it all, through Galena as suggested, and not getting in a vehicle until back in Clinton. Lots of training to do between now and then if I get serious about this option.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015