Who here will be riding BOTH Iowa Ride and RAGBRAI?

Don’t give a shit about the politics involved…just super excited to across the state two times 🙂

Might do it self-supported for Iowas Ride and then have the trailer carry my stuff for RAGBRAI (maybe a good training technique???)

Adding an extra speaker (boombox) on the back of the bike for extra THUMPIN’ and BUMPIN’!

116 Replies

ESchiers, February 3, 2020 at 12:20 pm

I’m bagging this year. There will be extended parking (confirmed by IA) in Dubuque. Clinton is still planning, but it’s a likely option. I’ll park in Clinton and ride up to Dubuque (looks like a nice ride) on Saturday for the start. Otherwise, I’ll cut short in Maquoketa and ride up to Dubuque. Either way, when you carry your stuff, the logistics of parking, bags, and gear is considerably less. 🙂

Kevin Brunk, February 3, 2020 at 2:45 pm

What is OOS?

Jboz, February 3, 2020 at 7:06 pm

I will be transitioning between IR and RAGBRAI, although I’m only doing 3 days of each ride, not the full double-cross. I’m torn betwen riding to Rock Rapids, then on to Le Mars, but that makes for a long day. I might just ride from Sheldon directly to Le Mars, skipping Rock Rapids. I would like to see the Expo and see what Dieter and team do with it. I always enjoy the Expo. Also want to meet up with my friends who are doing RAGBRAI only. Getting settled in is good. Of course, weather dictates everything. If the weather is beautiful and the winds are cooperative, I will happily take the long route. If it’s crappy, I will take the shortcut.

ESchiers, February 3, 2020 at 8:36 pm

OOS is for Out Of Staters; a charter company that will arrange shuttle services and will carry gear across the state.

2newknees2newbeers, February 4, 2020 at 8:26 am

I went with OOS my first two years of Ragbrai 03 and 04. They are a top notch sort of bare bones charter. You’re allow one big bag, you bring and set up your own tent. They set up at high school’s or parks, shower trucks available. They started themselves as Ragbrai riders seeing a need for a charter service. I had lots of fun with them and met lots of cool people. The do it all real well.

John Richardson, February 4, 2020 at 9:57 am

I’m planning to ride on to Rock Rapids and then to La Mars. I’ll probably miss most of the Expo, but so many of the venders set up in the overnight towns anyway it won’t be a big deal.

Anonymous, February 5, 2020 at 5:56 am

I am wanting to do a few days self contained of each ride to form a loop. I would buy day passes. I am far from being a bagger but good enough equipment to get a feel for touring. Both the IR and Ragbria are close to and one overnights my town. A learning experience no doubt. Touring across the US is a goal as I get closer to retirement and I have a lot to learn.

Jboz, February 5, 2020 at 2:56 pm

I am wanting to do a few days self contained of each ride to form a loop. I would buy day passes. I am far from being a bagger but good enough equipment to get a feel for touring. Both the IR and Ragbria are close to and one overnights my town. A learning experience no doubt. Touring across the US is a goal as I get closer to retirement and I have a lot to learn.

Thangamalang – that’s what I’m doing as well. I’m going to stop and start in Iowa Falls. 8 Days, 456 Miles, and a little of both rides. Here is a detailed look of my plan from a post a couple of weeks ago.
https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/mini-iowa-criss-cross-my-8-day-ragbrai-iowas-ride-combo-loop/

Let me know if this is similar to yours, and feel free to IM me if you want to compare notes. See you on the ride(s).

SFC JKL 2, February 6, 2020 at 12:07 am

Jose: I’m not sure you are keeping up with current events, but TJ changed the dates of Iowa’s ride to the week before and the direction to East to West. That eliminated all the problems with the BS you were spewing. Try keeping up.
Looking forward to two fun weeks of riding in July.

Jose Medina, February 6, 2020 at 1:49 am

Sorry but it did not. Families and riders in most cases can only take one week vacation and can’t do as a family for two weeks,riders have to choose one or the other, team busses can’ be in two places at the same time to take their riders back to their homes and who is going to drive. Support ? Etc. Riders changed Charters. Etc. Why are’nt All charters doing both ? I am happy the majority are doing Ragbrai.` We know what TJ was trying to do starting his ride ! Go back and read ither riders comments !

This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Jose Medina.

Ken Reed, February 6, 2020 at 8:12 am

I know of a couple teams where their buses are going both weeks but only portions of the teams are riding each ride. Meaning less comradery and less of the team-like atmosphere like in RAGBRAI’s past.

Sandaltan ., February 6, 2020 at 8:52 am

I am quite pleased that Iowa now has two seven day bike rides. I am even more than pleased that the Gannett Foundation has heard the voices of our riders and host communities and will increase support for those who generate the funds.

RIDE RIGHT

Jose Medina, February 6, 2020 at 9:45 am

Reedkennethia , Thanks! People don’t realize there is a lot of that going on. I think it is going to get worse .If the right people had not stepped in , we would only be looking at the Iowa Ride as the replacement , which I would never do. I had to change Charters myself and happy I did. Ragbrai is now here to stay.

Ken Reed, February 6, 2020 at 10:46 am

Reedkennethia , Thanks! People don’t realize there is a lot of that going on. I think it is going to get worse .If the right people had not stepped in , we would only be looking at the Iowa Ride as the replacement , which I would never do. I had to change Charters myself and happy I did. Ragbrai is now here to stay.

Anne Lawrie is the reason we still have a ride. She did everything by herself until DD was hired. IMO, she should have a day dedicated to her. She saved an Iowa institution.

Jose Medina, February 6, 2020 at 11:02 am

Count me in ! You are right ! I think there should also be a Ragbrai Pie named in her honor !

Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015