Who's up for Pork?

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to decide on tent service or no tent service with Pork Belly. Any suggestions? There are 4 of us, and we are more than capable (well, I am more than capable of delegating it off…) However, I keep thinking of the cold rainy day last year, exhausted and I would like to stay married for another year at least…

Also, my 16 year old niece will be along, is Pork Belly a good fit?
Thanks!

24 Replies

Sandaltan ., February 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

When in doubt go tent service. 

RIDE RIGHT

Phil1961, February 2, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Pork Belly is the best, I was a first timer last year and the tent service was well worth it after a long days ride.

Michrider !!!, February 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

my3sons said: Hi Everyone!

I am trying to decide on tent service or no tent service with Pork Belly. Any suggestions? There are 4 of us, and we are more than capable (well, I am more than capable of delegating it off…) However, I keep thinking of the cold rainy day last year, exhausted and I would like to stay married for another year at least…

Also, my 16 year old niece will be along, is Pork Belly a good fit?Thanks!

I’ve traveled with 4 different charters but PBV is the only one I’ve used more than once.  IMO they are the best!  I’ll be with them again this year.  Pete, Tammy and crew will make your trip the best!  I’m using their tent service this year.  Just get up and go!  I’ll see you on a curb in Iowa!!!!

Miles, February 2, 2011 at 7:42 pm

For $1500, you can reserve a ‘room’ for the week in their Pork Trailer.
2 queen beds (bunk), a/c, a deck and window, and more amenities.  And you dont have to pack up your stuff in the mornings.
Works out to 375 apiece (for four roomies).

This is a new offering from PBV.
Talk about a niche service.
I will bet there are takers.

Michrider !!!, February 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Miles said: For $1500, you can reserve a ‘room’ for the week in their Pork Trailer.2 queen beds (bunk), a/c, a deck and window, and more amenities.  And you dont have to pack up your stuff in the mornings.Works out to 375 apiece (for four roomies).

This is a new offering from PBV.Talk about a niche service.I will bet there are takers.

Amost as good as a room at the Bloodmobile Hilton!!!

Davy Sprocket, February 2, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Man, I just got back from practice and I am really hungry and thought this thread was about food.  I was really really thinking about  Mr. Porkchop and was EXTREMELY dissapointed to see the thread is about sleeping.  Yawn!  Talk about an exciting thread…….NOT!  It is a sleeper.

pmac, February 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

After thinking about lugging a tent to Iowa, putting it up for 7 nights after a long day of riding/eating/drinking and taking it down for 7 early mornings, with at least heavy dew, not to mention the possibility of rain on either end, paying PBV to do that and haul my stuff to their truck sounded pretty reasonable to me.  After all, its a vacation not a forced march. 

my3sons, February 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

Thanks for the advice. Tent service it is!

Davy, sorry to disappoint, but I figured if you all were anything like this former Iowan, food, especially Mr. Porkchop was the best way to get your attention!

The trailer looks great, but there is something about tenting it that makes it a true RAGBRAI experience for me! I have a few years left (I hope) to be able to suck it up! (She says as she signs up for a charter to do all the work…)

Michrider !!!, February 3, 2011 at 8:33 am

pmac said: After thinking about lugging a tent to Iowa, putting it up for 7 nights after a long day of riding/eating/drinking and taking it down for 7 early mornings, with at least heavy dew, not to mention the possibility of rain on either end, paying PBV to do that and haul my stuff to their truck sounded pretty reasonable to me.  After all, its a vacation not a forced march. 

Tent service is great, get up early as I want and ride, no tent to take down and pack up!!!  Just leave my bags inside their tent.  At the end of the day, my bags magically appear back inside the tent.  I think the magical luggage wizard does that!!!!

jjshoe, February 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

With what they charge? No thanks. $400 just for tent service? That’s roughly $66 a night. I’ll set your tent up for $55 a night. The other thing I find funny is you HAVE to be a supported rider in their group, another $400, to have access to their tent service, making it $132 a night. No offense, but for $150 I -MUST- pay to ride, which gets me luggage hauling, a sag wagon, and medical assisantce should something go wrong, I’m certainly not spending another $400 to have this duplicated. I could see paying $200 to a charter to have them toss a tent up with a number on it, every day, and I’ll make my way to it. However ragbrai already handles everything else for me.

Satman, February 3, 2011 at 8:56 am

You might consider a combination.  Last year we were with Brancel Charter ~ another great group.  I also arranged other accommodations for four of the eight nights we were in-state.  Two were with local’s, which was a blast.  Nice bed’s, showers, and these wonderful Iowan’s even fed us!  Another night (which happened to be a sweltering hot evening) was in the air conditioned ballroom of a hotel, next to a water park!!  Finally, in Manchester, we slept in an air conditioned Tai Quan Do ~ Dojo.  Padded floor ~ Great!
So we camped four evenings (one of which had rain).  When we stayed elsewhere, we packed a backpack and rode our bikes.  We left all our camping stuff and other ‘luggage’ with the Charter, and re-packed in the am.
Worked great!  Arranging the overnights was simple.  We put in applications at the web site of each overnight town, and four worked out.  There isn’t any (significant) charge, but we had packed a ‘Michigan gift basket’ for each set of Hosts.  For the Dojo, we left some cash for their youth program.  Everyone was happy.  The charm of RAGBRAI

Michrider !!!, February 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Bob Brancel is a great guy!  In 2007 he went out of his way to accomodiate one of our riders.  He provides a very good charter service.  I suggest anyone in the market for a charter check out his offerings! 

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Can we please get this thread back to food?  Jeez!  I want some Mr. Porkchop.

Michrider !!!, February 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Davy Sprocket said: Can we please get this thread back to food?  Jeez!  I want some Mr. Porkchop.

You want Mr. Porkchop?  LMAO!!! I hope you two are happy together!!!

Davy Sprocket, February 3, 2011 at 7:51 pm

He is a lot nicer when he is off the napkin.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI