Who's up for Pork?

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to decide on tent service or no tent service with Pork Belly. Any suggestions? There are 4 of us, and we are more than capable (well, I am more than capable of delegating it off…) However, I keep thinking of the cold rainy day last year, exhausted and I would like to stay married for another year at least…

Also, my 16 year old niece will be along, is Pork Belly a good fit?
Thanks!

24 Replies

Amanda, February 3, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I am with you Davey. I thought it was a food post. All I had for supper was a bowl of Cheerios. The cook is on strike!

#10613

Sandaltan ., February 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Amanda said: I am with you Davey. I thought it was a food post. All I had for supper was a bowl of Cheerios. The cook is on strike!

Does this have anything to do with the Chicago Bears last football game???

RIDE RIGHT

#10614

Michrider !!!, February 4, 2011 at 6:01 am

Amanda said: I am with you Davey. I thought it was a food post. All I had for supper was a bowl of Cheerios. The cook is on strike!

I love my cheerios, usually in the morning but in a pinch, they’d work for supper!!!

#10615

KittySlayer, February 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

jjshoe said: With what they charge? No thanks. $400 just for tent service? That’s roughly $66 a night…..

You have a teenager! Tent service would be like hiring a lawn service rather than having your kid mow the lawn.

Seriously though, with four of you that means two tents which is $800 bucks. Remember that everything on RAGBRAI cost money. Your kid is going to want to buy stuff. I say pay the teenager to set up the tents, $10 a tent a day is $20 bucks. Pretty easy to blow that much in a day with some pie a couple smoothies, a t-Shirt… and whatever else a kid needs/wants. Sure, you will need to help/motivate on a windy/wet/stormy day but still make the kid work.

Pork Belly should be good for a 16 year old, I would have been just fine taking my son at any age from 8 to 18+. Nothing too innapropriate although it is an older crowd so she may have to go out searching for kids her own age. As they describe on their web site more like a block party than a frat party.

#10616

jjshoe, February 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

KittySlayer said:

jjshoe said: With what they charge? No thanks. $400 just for tent service? That’s roughly $66 a night…..

You have a teenager! Tent service would be like hiring a lawn service rather than having your kid mow the lawn. Seriously though, with four of you that means two tents which is $800 bucks. Remember that everything on RAGBRAI cost money. Your kid is going to want to buy stuff. I say pay the teenager to set up the tents, $10 a tent a day is $20 bucks. Pretty easy to blow that much in a day with some pie a couple smoothies, a t-Shirt… and whatever else a kid needs/wants. Sure, you will need to help/motivate on a windy/wet/stormy day but still make the kid work. Pork Belly should be good for a 16 year old, I would have been just fine taking my son at any age from 8 to 18+. Nothing too innapropriate although it is an older crowd so she may have to go out searching for kids her own age. As they describe on their web site more like a block party than a frat party.

I don’t have a teenager, I’m lost to what you’re trying to say here.

#10617

KittySlayer, February 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

jjshoe said:

I don’t have a teenager, I’m lost to what you’re trying to say here.

Poor threading. My response was for the original poster who has  a 16 year old coming along. I just quoted you to illustrate the pricing.

So what I am saying is if someone has a teenager along the teenager should be erecting the tent.

#10618

mclousing, February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

PBV it all the way.  Although I still do my own tent.  I like being able to choose where my tent goes and such.  Last year I would look for a specific tent that I wanted to avoid and picked a spot a ways away from that.  As for PBV suitable for a teenager – most definately.  I saw nothing that I would want to shield my kids from last year which is better than what I heard from others with different more party style groups.

#10619

Racingmom, February 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

My teenage son had a blast with PBV last year.   He met (the few) other kids traveling with the charter, made friends with all the college kids working on the crew and had a blast.  During the day he met literally hundreds of people (he’s outgoing) and many teams. 

PBV is great for a teenager!   And my son appreciated that he could concentrate on the ride and the experience – and the tent was waiting for him when he got into camp.

And yes, you pay for the services you get from PBV.  However last year it included free beer, mixed drinks on “event” nights, 3 nights of live entertainment, lots of good food (dinners), hot coffee in the morning and bike mechanics and massage therapists on site.

I tried everything.  *grin*   And it was worth it.

#10620

Michrider !!!, February 10, 2011 at 6:02 am

Racingmom, I’m glad you had a great time with PBV!  Are you going back this year?

#10621

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI