RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Why RVs feel so entitled to make loud noise with thir genarators all night?

Talking about problem of sleeping, I do have problems with RV running generator all night in the general camping site.

You can say “I need blah blah….”. Just think in another way, how about allowing bands playing or drinking party by your tent all night? You want to use your RV in general camping ground, Fine. But you have to obey the same rule of noise making.

12 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, August 8, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Because they’re self-centered douchebags whose only concern is for their own comfort and conveniences, and who have no idea exactly why they are in Iowa and on RAGBRAI in the first place?

-“BB”-

ellieprn73, August 8, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Bill – we’re not all self-centered douchebags. Some of us, who are from Iowa and have been following RAGBRAI since we were kids, have support crew members that can’t ride for health reasons and need to have certain conveniences, like refrigeration for medication storage. BTW – we shut our generator off and ran the fridge of the battery after 10 pm each night. Part of that decision was consideration of tent campers nearby. Hope you get more considerate RVers near you next time.

Niles, August 8, 2016 at 6:58 pm

@ellieprn73 — Thank you for being considerate. You are not the RVers I was complaining of. I only have problem with those running generators ALL night long.

klkoopman, August 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Well, at least you’ve got your answer. If the RV generators do not run all night, the elderly RV residents would die.

thecyclingsloth, August 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm

We tent camp but are followed with a generator, off at 10:00.
Wondered to myself what RAGBRAI would look like one year without RV’s.

thecyclingsloth

thecyclingsloth, August 8, 2016 at 9:20 pm

It’s all pretty relevant, and pretty much know what you are getting into when you register.
For some it’s a bike ride, for some it’s a 15K+ party on wheels, others it’s a week vacation. For me it’s a bike ride and all the rest I just deal with as comes with the territory. I’m not to keen about camping but do it for a week as it’s part of it. Anytime we are close to home, I sleep in my own bed.
It is what it is.

thecyclingsloth

KenH, August 9, 2016 at 9:04 am

This is the first time I have tent camped and for the most part the Riverbend club I used for a charter got us campgrounds away from the RV park. That is the ultimate solution.

In past years I have brought my motorhome and we have always parked it in the sea of other motorhomes that is the RV campground. Everyone else was running their generator all night so we did too, most nights. If you can’t sleep through the sound of generators running then you need to avoid the RV campground like it were the plague! If you can’t sleep through the sound of a generator running then you must also avoid sleeping in an RV like it were the plague because the generator is louder inside than outside and you also have to listen to the AC unit which is just as loud. But it is air conditioned.

Other campers, motorhomes, concerts, highway traffic, train traffic, in my experience the typical RAGBRAI camping experience is not quiet and many experienced riders who can’t sleep for the noise bring earplugs for that reason. Noise does not bother me but if I were to park the motorhome in a tent camping area I would tell my crew to deal with the heat and leave the generator off. But in the RV campground it is the norm to run them.

Personally, after tent camping with Riverbend for a week my preference would be to leave the motorhome at home. It was a cleansing experience to effectively own nothing but a bike, a tent, and some clothes for a week. It was great to have nothing else to worry about! I doubt I can wean my crew off it however.

hnschipper, August 9, 2016 at 9:10 am

We tent camp, and I personally love camping next to RV’s running their generators. I sleep with a fan on at home for the white noise. A generator makes a nice substitute on RAGBRAI.

jwsknk, August 9, 2016 at 9:52 am

From Wisconson DNR:
Every year, people die in accidents related to portable generator use. For example, a young camper was killed by CO from a portable generator’s exhaust tube adjacent to the victim’s campsite. Most deaths involve CO poisoning from portable generators used indoors or in partially enclosed spaces. The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that between 1999 and 2004, portable generators caused 172 CO poisoning deaths in the U.S.

Generators produce high levels of CO in their exhaust. Carbon monoxide around a generator and its exhaust tube can build up within minutes, even outdoors. Carbon monoxide can linger for hours, even after the generator is shut off.

You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide. So even if you do not smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO.

How to Avoid CO Poisoning
NEVER use a generator inside a home, garage, crawlspace, shed, or other enclosed area. Locate the unit outdoors and far from doors, windows, and vents.
Always run your generator in a well-ventilated area, and only if you can vent its exhaust safely. Make sure the exhaust hose is placed far from other campers, tents, boats, cabins, etc.
Install CO alarms in your home, RV, boat or other area where CO may be present

mclousing, August 9, 2016 at 8:57 pm

OK, I am in the minority, we actually look to camp near generators, primarily because we consider it white noise and it drowns out people talking/snoring/you can imagine. If you don’t like the generators you can move.

Jack in VA, August 9, 2016 at 11:55 pm

USUALLY – the RV’s are placed in an area separate from the general tent camping areas. I’m sure that some may end up near tents (or V-V). That said, I’d hope that any RV owner would be considerate of any tents near their vehicle.
I did have an incident several years back that stands out – I’d pitched my tent within our charter group area, and was relaxing inside, reading a book, when someone came to the tent and said “Just wanted to let you know that we’ve go to fire up the generator for a little bit”. Their RV was on the edge of our campsite – about 15 feet away from my tent. I thanked him for letting me know – and about 5 minutes later, a frozen margarita was handed into my tent – that’s why they needed to power up! They did not run it all night long (thank God) and were quite considerate during the afternoon / evening.

I’d suggest that if someone were running their generator after say 9 or 10 PM , you (and maybe a small crowd) knock on their door and politely remind them that there are tents extremely close to their vehicle and to maybe show a little consideration for those who are outside. If they insist on keeping it running and keeping you awake all night long, I’d reciprocate by banging on their bedroom area every hour on the hour. Hey, if you gotta be uncomfortable and awake, they can be COMFORTABLE and awake!!!

Sunny Carithers, August 13, 2016 at 8:39 pm

I own an RV and wouldn’t consider going on RAGBRAI without it. I’ve worked very hard all my life and feel like I’ve earned the right to sleep in a comfortable bed, in air conditioning, and have a hot shower.

Our team also supports many tenters that sure don’t mind coming in to use the facilities and get cooled off.
We also run electricity to them so they can charge their phones or what have you.
I also don’t park it by tenters. And if a few tenters pitch their tents by me after I’ve parked, well I’m sorry.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI