Why do you RAGBRAI?

21 Replies

ratscallion, February 29, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Live to RAGBRAI, RAGBRAI to live…

ESchiers, February 29, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Interesting question and it made me think… I’m obsessed. My desk at work has two (yes 2) maps of Iowa open. One is the regular transportation map for vehicles and the other is the BikeIowa map. Keep in mind, we know the towns but the route hasn’t even been announced yet! I know Iowa biking better than most of the distant areas of my hometown state. My Youtube history looks like a doctorate study of RAGBRAI over the last 40+ years. I have my packing list and checking it twice. I’m testing gear and planning long-weekend training rides even with the temperatures in the 30s and commuting is the only time I’m on a bike this time of year.
I love RAGBRAI because of the amazing hospitality, the wonderful days of riding, and the way the world feels happy and fun for 7 days of beautiful cornfields, spectacular sunrises, and great people.

DenBiker, February 29, 2020 at 6:57 pm

HERE! HERE!…

Everything you said – maybe more. Got both maps, have a file drawer filled with routes maps and daily elevation profiles for every ride since 2004. Almost went into mourning as I contemplated that I might be getting too old (75)to ride it this year. Yes I am obsessed with RAGBRAI. And I am proud to admit it.

Why do I do it – Because I still can! Because it puts me in touch with my roots! Because it is fun to go on a ride with 10 to 15 thousand of like minded people. Because there is nothing quite like riding out at six in the morning being mesmerized by the fiery red sun rising above a dew shrouded horizon. And because there are at least a hundred other “becauses”. One of those is BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN CHANGED.

This was posted on the FORUM a few years back when someone was trying to describe RAGBRAI to a first timer.

RAGBRAI IS…

A COUNTY FAIR…
MARRIED TO THE MARTI GRAS
WHOSE PARENTS WERE
A ROCK CONCERT AND A POT LUCK SUPPER.
ALL OFF ON A WEEK LONG HOLIDAY.

IT WILL CHANGE YOU!!

Bluestreelguy ., March 1, 2020 at 12:39 pm

I’m just this guy. Its on the calendar, its what I do now.

jelly0317, March 1, 2020 at 5:06 pm

Me, too. As Tevye said, “Tradition!”.

Anonymous, March 24, 2020 at 8:15 pm

hello

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015