The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Wild Parsnip

Will there be wild parsnip in the corn fields? Is it easy to recognize?
I sure don’t want to touch any, especially not with my privates!

5 Replies

Juan Medium Moose, June 29, 2016 at 8:07 pm

The corn rows themselves are usually very clean, and the corn stalks are earily similar (spelling and, therefore, pun intended). These are the hallmarks of modern industrial-scale techniques. Watch the edges of the fields, though. That’s where the weeds are allowed to grow. Often, there will be a well-worn path into the corn. Use that…but (ahem) watch your step. A well-worn path means a well-used corn privy.

Regarding wild parsnip: I have run into it a couple of times in my own yard. It’s pretty easy to spot once you know what it looks like.

Craig Parson, June 30, 2016 at 7:12 am

I am local and I have never heard anybody even discussing these, so not a problem.

Kwog

jwsknk, June 30, 2016 at 7:59 am

it will be in the ditches, stich to the field access drives and away from the plants with flat yellow flowering heads.

jwsknk, June 30, 2016 at 8:02 am

Wild parsnip and poison hemlock typically inhabit roadsides, pastures, field edges, or natural areas. Poison hemlock prefers moist conditions along streams and low-lying areas. Wild parsnip favors calcareous soils and sunny areas. Both are adaptable to different environments and can be found throughout most of the United States and Canada. They produce a large amount of seed, which contributes to their persistence and spread. Poison hemlock is listed as a secondary noxious weed in Iowa.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2007/7-9/poison.html

R-Daryl Daryl, July 15, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Friendly reminder that this plant still exists
Search “Parsnip” on the RAGBRAI website to see the 7/5/16 Blog Post with photos of this plant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014