Will this year's last day recycle the route used in 2015?

The distance for last day from Iowa City to Davenport is relatively long, considering the short total of overall route of this year. Therefore, are we going to be forced to used the straight route we rode in 2015? It would be either boring or nostalgic. For me, I hope to see a new route for the section.

18 Replies

jimval, February 1, 2018 at 9:14 pm

I was wondering the same thing. If I remember correctly, the route in 15 was 65 miles from Coralville. This year is almost 69 and IC Should be a mile or so closer. Given the 5 extra miles and the very unkind words from Cedar county, My guess is that we will take a south route out of IC. Maybe route 6 to West Liberty and then south on 70 to F70. Just my very uniformed analysis.

@Trykeman, February 2, 2018 at 5:51 am

I agree with jimval that the route will avoid Cedar County. The Sheriff is not cooperative.

Tim Tysver, February 2, 2018 at 7:46 am

Google maps say that it’s right at 68 miles from IC to Davenport if you head to West Liberty on Hwy 6 and then Hwy 22 to Muscatine and then north on 22 into Davenport. I have never been on IA Hwy 22, has Ragbrai used this before as the ride along the river seems like it would be beautiful.

genefruit, February 2, 2018 at 9:05 am

My take on the route, which will be updated along the way, is here. I agree with Tim Tysver that Muscatine is the way to avoid Cedar County. Teams could use 218>22 into Muscatine for meetups and 61 to Davenport – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26202721

jwsknk, February 2, 2018 at 10:44 am

the 35 years I’ve done the ride, never been on 22 into Davenport. Looks like always F65fro, Walcott. I see what you are saying, drop south to Hill, head east through West Liberty, Atalissa, Wilton, Durant, drop south on Y26 to 22. Then Montpelier and Buffalo. Part of that is the Mississippi River Trail. That I’ve done. The closer to Davenport the busier the road got but there were some back roads closer to the river probably through Buffalo but I would have to dig out those maps.

T. Gap Woo, February 2, 2018 at 11:57 am

I truly enjoyed the route from Coralville/Iowa City to Davenport in 2015. The antique car collection and the ice cream parlor in two pass-through towns were memorable.

I distinctly remember the “Welcome to Davenport” sign at the city limits. On the right side of the road stood a sign that read “10 miles to the river” while directly opposite on the left side of the road on a church lawn was a sign proclaiming “7 miles to the river.” Maybe 7 miles as the angels fly and 10 miles as TJ planned??

The ride through some of the residential areas was cool and shady, with just a few minor down-and-up creek crossings to remind us that Iowa is not flat.

The traffic cone separation on Business Route 61 kept us safe as we pedaled to the dip site on Credit Island.

My only concern about the dip site was the routing of bikes along the scenic perimeter of the island, requiring us to pedal a bit further to get to the dip site, even though the dip site was in plain view as we entered the island.

The dip site was conveniently located to make a getaway in all directions easier.

I hope that, while there may be minor tweaks in the route, we follow the same route and use the same dip site from 2015.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

jimval, February 2, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Google maps say that it’s right at 68 miles from IC to Davenport if you head to West Liberty on Hwy 6 and then Hwy 22 to Muscatine and then north on 22 into Davenport. I have never been on IA Hwy 22, has Ragbrai used this before as the ride along the river seems like it would be beautiful.

Tim,

I have to say your response made me smile. I live on IA-22 between Muscatine and Davenport and yes I think it is beautiful but 22 isn’t in the best condition especially the section in Muscatine county. Maybe this would be impetuous to do some repairs. There has been some chatter about the ride going through downtown this time so that may signal the “normal” route inbound. So maybe 6 to West liberty 70 south to F70 to X54 to Downtown Muscatine to 22 to Y40 to F65 to Brady Street and then down the hill.

Jim

Megandoty, February 2, 2018 at 8:50 pm

What happened in Cedar County?

@Trykeman, February 3, 2018 at 5:49 am

To make a long story short … The Cedar County Sheriff doesn’t want RAGBRAI.

Roger Laughlin, March 4, 2018 at 9:16 pm

I live in Cedar County and there is only one person who doesn’t like RAGBRAI.
The sheriff. He says it would cost him too much money. Baloney. 98 other counties seem to do just fine. The state troopers do most of the work anyway.
A great route from Iowa City would be through West Branch, then east ten miles and South Five miles into the next county. There are a couple quiet paved roads all the way to Davenport.
I wish RAGBRAI would choose this route just to spite the grumpy sheriff who says he will write a ticket to every biker who runs a stop sign.

Mark Bundick, March 5, 2018 at 8:28 am

I hope Davenport does a better job providing parking for the support vehicles than they did in 2015. Took a long time to hook up with RV after dipping and then trying to get out of town.

GP_in_SD, March 5, 2018 at 10:07 pm

To bad about the Cedar County Sheriff and his thoughts on Ragbrai. Had a blast there in 2008 (Tipton). My adult daughters first ride since I pulled her across the state in a bugger when she was 3 years old. She won the drawing for the school bus in Tipton and we stayed at the house of a school teacher. Wish I could remember his name but great welcoming family. I guess times have changed. Here’s a link to a news article I found online with the sheriff’s statement on Ragbrai. http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Cedar-County-sheriff-wants-RAGBRAI-to-pay-if-riders-come-through-again-454174583.html

David Henkhaus, March 6, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Highway 6 east out of Iowa City is busy, and not very good shoulders. My guess is they’ll use Hwy 6 for the vehicle route, and take riders directly south out of Iowa City on old 218 for a route staying south of I-80 (and Cedar County).

jwsknk, March 6, 2018 at 3:22 pm

We should find out the answer on the 17th. Saw that next Sunday the 11th they start releasing the route a day at a time

John Wombacher, March 6, 2018 at 6:51 pm

The sheriff needs to be reminded that he works for the people of Cedar County and the benefits to the many groups in cedar county far outweigh the minor inconvenience it may cause his department for a few hours on a Saturday. I think his generalizations of ragbrai riders as being rowdy and disrespectful are greatly exaggerated.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015