XLIII – 2015 route

The route area hasn’t been as easy to predict the past few years. the north, middle south pattern seems to have been broken. So this next one I was going to say south.

Glenwood/ (last start 39), Clarinda/(last stay 31), Creston (last stay 25), Leon (last stay 9), Centerville (last stay 9), Ottumwa (last stay 37), Washington (last stay 28), and Muscatine (last finish 34).

But then thinking, maybe they owe Perry and Marshalltown a redo.
Missouri Valley (last start 36), Audubon (last stay 34, hot hot hot), Perry (last stay 41 rain out concert), Ames (last stay 37), Marshalltown (last stay 40, also rain out), Montezuma (pass through on 29 and 34), Washington and Muscatine.

For sure south of Hiway 20, probably mostly south of Hiway 30 (Perry-Ames Marshalltown drift 10 miles north for awhile).

anyway, it’s been way too quiet around here 🙂

30 Replies

Michrider !!!, August 31, 2014 at 6:32 am

Sioux Center to Davenport for 2015!!! But I’m from Kentucky so what the hell do I know!!!!

Sandaltan ., September 1, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I like Sioux Center but I like Sioux City even better!! 4th Street was great!
How is Lefty …. Mich??? How many miles do you have since the “installation” of the new knee??? Maybe strong enough to ride from Rabbit Hash to Monkey’s Eyebrow?? That would be memorable. From rabbit to monkey all in Kentucky.

RIDE RIGHT

T. Gap Woo, September 1, 2014 at 9:42 pm

SFC JKL2: Two things I’ve had on my wish list. A true century day (not just the loop) and a ride along the river at the end.

Try this route! Hawarden, Estherville, Northwood, New Albin, Dubuque, Bettendorf, Burlington and Keokuk. You’ll have century rides each day AND four days riding along the Mississippi River. It’s relatively flat until you reach the Iowa Alps and then an easy jaunt down river the rest of the way.

Want a tougher route? How about Hamburg, Lamoni, Centerville, Keokuk, Burlington, Bettendorf, Dubuque and New Albin. Again, these are daily century rides WITH four days along the Mississippi. You’ll have plenty of hills in southern Iowa and a challenging upriver ride the rest of the way.

Be careful what you wish for, because your wish may just come true!

No matter which route is selected, though, Ride Right! See you next year along the I-O-Way.

jwsknk, September 2, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Have ridden the Keokuk, Burlington, Quad cities, Clinton route up the river. Nice hill coming out of Ft. Madison by the old prison, kind of busy road into Burlington. Jumped over to Illinois at Clinton up to Galena, nice climb there on Blackjack Road to Chesnutt Ski Area. Prairie du Chine to Lacrosse where we went back across to the Minnesota side was a nice flat ride along the river.

Sunflower, September 2, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I would like to see the Register hit the southern tier counties that haven’t been hit in years. Much tougher to organize I suppose. Miles of nothing down there.

OG, September 4, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Could start in Des Moines and work our way to the Mississippi and, once there, pop in and out of a few river towns. Do the same next year but head West toward the Missouri.

For illustrative purposes only and without regard to distances:

DSM to Osky
Osky to Fairfield
Fairfield to Burlington
Burlington back out to Washington
Washington to Muscatine
Muscatine to Coralville (Iowa City)
Coralville to Davenport

Opens lots of options.

Davy Sprocket, September 4, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Heck with the river(s) concept. Let’s do a large circular route that would provide west to south, south to east, east to north and north to west. Start and end town the same. Easy parking and very profitable for the start/end town. Route could be centered about anywhere in the state and provide for many more pass through and overnight towns.

Ready, Set, Go!

Davy

Michrider !!!, September 5, 2014 at 5:39 am

Davy, I like your idea! Instead of the river concept, we could visit any town with a Lake!!!!

RoyBoy, September 5, 2014 at 12:20 pm

So Davy, it could be the “Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Around Iowa”!

OG, September 5, 2014 at 12:46 pm

And of course, let’s not leave out the state and county parks. As long as we’re swimming with the cat fish, let’s ride up and over Iowa’s untillable land.

murphymp, September 5, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I hope they never change the west to east route. I love everything about Ragbrai and think the tradition should remain. I am looking forward to a southern route that will take in some hills, my first year was 2008 and it was so much more of a challenge than what the last two routes have offered. However its the people and the towns that keep me coming back not the route. The older I get the more I would like to see some things remain the same. So lets keep dipping in the Missouri at the start and the Mississippi at the end.

rjjensenia, September 6, 2014 at 7:34 am

SFC JKL, so you so not consider the karras loop day a true century for those that choose to ride it? Not sure I get your reasoning.

I don’t have any problem with keeping the century day optional. I can’t recall the stats but some where north of 80% of rabrai readers apparently prefer NOT to ride the karras loop to claim a century ride. To each their own. No need to make people feel compelled to ride a century to “officially” complete ragbrai.

SFC JKL 2, September 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm

rjjensenia- SFC JKL, so you so not consider the karras loop day a true century for those that choose to ride it?

The Karras loop is a true century (When it’s not short) for those who ride it. It’s not a true century day (everyone rides it, no option)

They have done it 5 times before and another 5 days of 95+ miles. You could even sandwich it with short rides (40 mile days???) if you want.

I’m not trying to be a hero (no clue what T Gap is thinking). Just trying for a long day.

Iceman, October 22, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Looking forward to 2015 as well.

http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/iceberg9/library/?view=recent&page=1

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLII – 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015