Your Fantasy Route

Since the new route will be chosen for us, why not post here your fantasy preference, northorn route, southern, crazy, east-to-west, start-in-Nebraska-end- in-Illinois, go nuts with it…

Mine might be a southwest-to-northeast kind of thing, starting on the western Missouri border (not sure what town that would be) and ending on the Minnesota line, say Winona… as I said, non-traditional , anything goes. Have fun!

11 Replies

Jboz, January 15, 2016 at 10:51 pm

I love everything RAGBRAI…but if we are talking fantasy route, as in “it’s never going to happen, but if I were suddenly made king…”, then yes. One way route logistics are a challenge…with having to drop your vehicle off on one end of the state, and somehow make your way across to the other end…this is a giant PIA. So, if someone at the DMR decided to get wild and crazy one year and create a 7-day loop route, where it finished in the same town that it started in…I would personally be doing the happy dance!

“Bicycle Bill”, January 15, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Just to let you know, C-sprint, that Winona is in my backyard and is almost a full day’s ride (50 miles, more or less) north of New Albin IA, the most north-easterly town in Iowa.  And that’s if you ride almost 30 miles along the shoulder of US highway 61 between La Crescent and Winona.

Fantasy, yes.  Becoming reality?  No way, Jose.

-“BB”-

thangamalang, January 16, 2016 at 5:03 am

My fantasy route was in 2014. We had relatives and friends in almost every overnight town who were gracious hosts. My town was an overnight town. We also had several of farmsteads along the route to stop off and say hello. It was purely coincidental I guess. We were so wrapped up in family and friends and relatives along the way the week was a bit of a blur, which I may add was just fine. We were planning a big time in our home town going uptown for entertainment, dancing and beers (not bears) and such but instead, stuck around our house and entertained the teams and relatives we were hosting. Simply put, the week was a full schedule with time issues instead of our usual Que Sera, Sera.
Be careful what you wish for!

Amanda, January 17, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I would like to start in Hawarden. This will be my 18th RAGBRAI and the last time we started in Hawarden was 19 years ago. I think it’s time!

Chris, January 17, 2016 at 8:42 pm

My fantasy route: 501 miles without the Karras loop. I don’t much care where, which way, which route, which towns. Just give me more of that Iowa goodness!

cyduke, January 18, 2016 at 8:19 am

Tailwinds every day.
Temps in the 70’s with no humidity, winds out of the NW
Send route to the NE corner of the state to enjoy the hills and scenery.
End in a town North of Guttenburg.
Have an epic century option loop. 200 mile day. In 1996, rode the 150 loop along with 9 others on Skunks. I think only 1000 people completed the Sesquicentennial loop.

Michrider !!!, January 18, 2016 at 8:59 am

cyduke: Tailwinds every day.
Temps in the 70’s with no humidity, winds out of the NW
Send route to the NE corner of the state to enjoy the hills and scenery.
End in a town North of Guttenburg.
Have an epic century option loop. 200 mile day. In 1996, rode the 150 loop along with 9 others on Skunks. I think only 1000 people completed the Sesquicentennial loop.

I mostly agree with cyduke, except I prefer temps in low 80. I also like hills over headwinds!!! I would vote for a repeat of the 2008 route!!!

KenH, January 18, 2016 at 10:12 am

There are a few Iowa towns I would like to visit, Ottumwa, Mount Pleasant, and Keokuk on the ride and even though my “official” guess for the route went north this year a safer bet would probably be south and it could include all three of those towns. I’m not sure that would constitute a fantasy route for me however since I don’t think I have one. So far every year I’ve ridden has dished out little gems of experience with the towns and people and countryside and even sometimes the weather of Iowa. That is what brings me back and it seems as though that can be had on any route through the state!

Thoreau, January 19, 2016 at 10:53 am

I agree with Cyduke that it would be great to have a double century day. I’ve made it a goal that I would try to go 200 miles in one day in the coming year. I’ve thought about doing it on a Ragbrai day–perhaps even the Karras loop day and then riding on to the next day’s town. I’m not a quick rider so it would take me, with stops, about 20 hours to do this. If anyone has a plan for this kind of thing in Iowa, keep me posted.

Victoria brown, January 19, 2016 at 11:43 am

Glenwood, Harlan, Greenfield, …Ottumwa ..finally Muscatine

“Bicycle Bill”, January 19, 2016 at 6:26 pm

My fantasy route?
All downhill, and with a tailwind.

-“BB”-

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015