RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Your visit to Alton

Okay, I find myself on the other end of RAGBRAI – I am one of the co-chairs for Alton’s RAGBRAI visit. I know what I like for breakfast and entertainment while eating, but what are others thoughts? We are 3 mile east of Orange City so plan to eat breakfast with us!!! It will be Princess-Approved. (shameless plug, I know!!!)

69 Replies

Michrider !!!, March 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Alton sounds good to me. Will they be serving Amanda’s Famous Cinnamon Rolls???? How are the Kurbs in Alton???

Sandaltan ., March 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm

The last time I went through Polk City they had a great oatmeal bar, oatmeal, raisins & brown sugar served on the city square under the trees. Coffee and/or milk would be great with that oatmeal. Will Norman be posing for photos and signing autographs?? Good Luck.

RIDE RIGHT

knees36, March 25, 2012 at 8:24 pm

ST…Some good ol’ “wake-up bean squeezin’s” sounds so welcome along with Amanda’s cinammon rolls.

Ragbrai Nation, March 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Watch out, Alton!

John L, March 26, 2012 at 4:22 am

So Amanda, will you be able to ride or will you be on the ground in Alton? I am lead sherpa for my wife and was hoping to see your set up so I can aim high for her.

John L, March 26, 2012 at 4:23 am

Personally I love a little protein mixed in there for breakfast. All of the sugary/carbo items leave me empty in about 10 miles.

giantron, March 26, 2012 at 7:47 am

We had a great breakfast “pizza” one year from a church. I wish I could remember where. But if you can re-create that, it was a real hit.
Breakfast burritos are also good.
Just provide enough options and have a really good (i.e. FAST) delivery system and you’ll pull in a lot of riders.

Michrider !!!, March 26, 2012 at 8:54 am

A slogan for Alton, Eat breakfast with Amanda, the RAGBRAI Princess!!!!!

trek2300, March 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

On the road breakfasts?
One option is oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins. Instant oatmeal doesn’t qualify.
Option two: Buttermilk pancakes.
Of course, fresh fruit.
Followed by never ending coffee.
Wrap all of the menu around a sense of humor!

“Bicycle Bill”, March 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Amanda:
Okay, I find myself on the other end of RAGBRAI – I am one of the co-chairs for Alton’s RAGBRAI visit. I know what I like for breakfast and entertainment while eating, but what are others thoughts? We are 3 mile east of Orange City so plan to eat breakfast with us!!! It will be Princess-Approved. (shameless plug, I know!!!)

Put me down as saying that the term “Princess-Approved” should become, if not the main theme of the Alton Experience, at least a part and parcel of it!!!

After all, you have a reputation to maintain and subjects to rule. And now, as co-chair, you even have minions at your beck and call!!

</a

-“BB”->

jwsknk, March 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm

just don’t take “food” advice from Norman. plastic & glass are not 2 of the food groups. :roll:

Sandaltan ., March 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Last time we rolled out of Council Bluffs the FFA moms had cinnamon rolls and coffee about five miles out. Every mom got up early and baked a couple of oven full of frozen rolls, brewed a gallon of coffee and came to the roadside stop. It was my favorite stop of the day.

Frozen fruit cups are easy to make but you might be too early in the day for those. I would buy one but don’t know about the rest of the pack.

RIDE RIGHT

Tony, March 26, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Hi Amanda,

Orange City will fill fast for breakfast at only 12 miles out. I’m going to assume Farm Boys will be out there some where in the first segment too. Some venders need allot of power and can only do it in a town. Outfits like Dad’s Belgian Waffles comes to mind. For local church and social organizations. I like the idea of fruit. But put it in a baggy. Homemade bagged trail mix and bananas. You could have some of the local groups band together. Have an outdoor breakfast buffet. Use multiple lines to move riders through fast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, juice, milk/chocolate milk, coffee and coco. Cinnamon rolls and pastries. Being a rider you know the importance of hydration. So make sure they have a good bottle fill station. I do not like the hole drilled in the pipe ones. They take forever to fill a bottle. People that try to fill camel back bag its even longer. Depending on where they are. They sometimes turn into a mud pit. Ones that actually have a faucet are great. Fast fills. Less mess and waste. They are cheap and easy to make with PVC pipe and valves. You have the oldest golf course in Iowa. Maybe some sorta contest to hit a ball closest to the cup or distance. I think a town done up in pink and deemed the Kingdom of Princes Amanda would be cool. Oh don’t forget to promote the Puddle Jumper Trail.

Iceman, March 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Serve tamales.

jsm, March 26, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I do see a Princess theme here. Fund raising foto booth with a real Princess? A couple of years back I ran in to a breakfast pastry, like a calzone, stuffed with breakfast sausage, eggs, green pepper, onions and cheese. I believe they were baked in pizza ovens, then kept warm in those tall warming ovens that hold cookie sheets. They rag up at about six bucks. They are easy to eat, protein and carbs, can be made in many combinations. They can be made well ahead to time, frozen and god bless those that are up all night cooking them.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters