1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. The RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest is open to U.S. residents (excluding Puerto Rico), who are 18 years or older at the time of entry. Employees of RAGBRAI, The Des Moines Register and Tribune, Co., Inc. Gannett Co., Inc., and each of their respective affiliated companies, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies, and other agents, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with such employees, are not eligible.
3. Entry. All mailed entries must be postmarked by Friday, January 18, 2019 and received at 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA 50309 by the Monday following or online at DesMoinesRegister.com by 5:00 p.m. (C.S.T.) on Friday, January 18, 2019, or delivered to 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA by 5:00 p.m. (C.S.T.) on Friday, January 18, 2019. Only one (1) entry per person by mail or online.
Internet Entry: Enter by visiting the RAGBRAI Guess the Route official contest page on DesMoinesRegister.com between December 5, 2018 and January 18, 2019, completing all required information and clicking on the “Send” button. All entries must be received by 5:00 p.m. (C.S.T.) on Friday, January 18, 2019.
Mail Entry: You can also enter by printing your name, phone number, e-mail, age, and the eight town guesses on a 3 x 5 card or piece of paper and mail to RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest, ATTN: RAGBRAI, 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA 50309. All mailed entries must be postmarked by Friday, January 18, 2019 and received by the Monday following. Mailed entries must be sent to RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest, ATTN: RAGBRAI, 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA 50309. Only one entry per envelope.
In-Person Entry: Enter in person by printing your name, phone number, e-mail, age (just indicating that you’re over 18 years of age), and the eight town guesses on a 3” x 5” card or piece of paper and mail to RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest, ATTN: RAGBRAI, 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA 50309. Place your entry in an envelope addressed to RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest, ATTN: RAGBRAI and deliver to The Des Moines Register, 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA. In-person entries are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 18, 2019.
The Des Moines Register and Tribune, Co., Inc will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, or late entries received after specified deadlines, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or sponsor. In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the email account from which they were sent. For these purposes, an email account holder shall mean the natural person assigned to such email account by the Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with such email account. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted or the owner of an email account shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
4. Prizes and Odds. First, Second and Third Place Prize winners will be selected respectively from all entries received with the most correct guesses, the second most and the third most correct guesses. If more than one entry correctly selects the same number of route towns, the entry/entries will be placed in a random drawing. First place prize winner will receive a gift certificate valued at $100, which must be redeemed for RAGBRAI merchandise by July 27, 2019. Second place prize winner will receive a gift certificate valued at $80 which must be redeemed for RAGBRAI merchandise by July 27, 2019. Third place prize winner will receive a gift certificate valued at $60 which must be redeemed for RAGBRAI merchandise by July 27, 2019. Cash refunds will not be allowed. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
5. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Winners will be notified by telephone and/or U.S. Mail and/or e-mail correspondence by February 10, 2019. Return of prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. Winners may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable. Cash refunds for gift certificates will not be allowed. No substitutions allowed, except that prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Winners may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned within ten (10) days of date of postmark. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release within ten (10) days, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to an alternate winner. Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation. For prize winners list (available after February 10, 2019), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to RAGBRAI Guess the Route Contest Winners, ATTN: RAGBRAI, 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA 50309.
6. Participation. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsors which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date.
7. Limitations of Liability. By entering the Contest, entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, and entrant waives his or her right to a jury trial for such disputes, claims, and causes of action; (2) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
8. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
9. General Release. By entering the Contest, contestants release The Des Moines Register and Tribune, Co., Inc., Gannett Co., Inc., any other promotional sponsors, and each of their respective affiliated companies, directors, officers, employees, representatives, partners and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with the acceptance, possession or use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
10. Sponsor. The RAGBRAI® Guess the Route Contest is sponsored by The Des Moines Register and Tribune, Co., Inc., whose decisions regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsors will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact the RAGBRAI Staff, 400 Locust Street, Suite 500, Des Moines, IA, 50309, by phone at 515-284-8341, or by e-mail to: email@example.com.