Register for RAGBRAI XLIX
Register for RAGBRAI XLIX from July 23rd-30th, 2022 it is more than just a bike ride, it is an epic eight-day rolling festival of bicycles, music, food, camaraderie, and community. It is the oldest largest, and longest multi-day bicycle touring event in the world
Countdown to RAGBRAI XLIX
WHAT IS RAGBRAI ALL ABOUT?
RAGBRAI, The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, is an annual eight-day bicycle ride across the state. Heading into its 49th year, RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest recreational bicycle touring event in the world. RAGBRAI XLIX is dedicated to our co-founder, John Karras.
This rolling celebration of Iowa attracts participants from all 50 states and many foreign countries. It has covered thousands of miles through the years, and hundreds of thousands of riders have hopped in the saddle to pedal part of those miles.
RAGBRAI is a bicycle ride, not a race. It started in 1973 as a six-day ride across the state of Iowa by two Des Moines Register columnists who invited a few friends along. It is held the last full week in July. RAGBRAI is planned and coordinated by The Des Moines Register, and riders who participate in RAGBRAI understand that they do so at their own risk.
The RAGBRAI route averages 468 miles and is not necessarily flat. It begins somewhere along Iowa’s western border on the Missouri River and ends along the eastern border on the Mississippi River.
Eight Iowa communities along the RAGBRAI route serve as “host” communities for overnight stays. RAGBRAI is a guest in these communities and we ask our riders to behave as such.
The people of Iowa truly make RAGBRAI the special event that it is by opening up their towns and communities to participants. We hope you can enjoy this Iowa hospitality and join us for a memorable trip across the state.
RAGBRAI is a ride, not a race. Daily mileage averages between 55-65 miles a day with stops about every 10-12 miles. Riders can sign-up for the full week or join us for any combination of days passes and non-riders registration is good for the whole week.
- REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
Day Pass Rider
- PRICE INCREASES ON 5/1/22 TO $40. REGISTRATION CLOSES ON 6/1/22.
- PRICE INCREASES ON 7/23/22 TO $40. ONLINE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
Support vehicles are an important part of the ride. Riders rely on support drivers to transport their luggage, camping supplies, food, and shelter. All vehicles must be registered with RAGBRAI ahead of the ride. It is important we have an accurate number of vehicles on the ride so we can provide accurate number to our overnight and meeting towns for planning.
How to register your vehicle?
There are six vehicle types. All listed below with price and explanation. You will be able to add your vehicle during registration under the product page. It will be listed as a drop down called “Support Vehicle”. Vehicle pass registration will close on April 1 with weeklong rider and weeklong non-rider.
STANDARD VEHICLECar, SUV, Pick-up Truck
- Select this option if you have standard vehicle you are bringing on the ride.
STANDARD VEHICLE + TRAILERCar, SUV, Pick-up Truck
- Select this option if you have standard vehicle and hitching a trailer to the back.
TRUCKPenske, Ryder, U-Haul, Budget
- Select this option if you have straight truck that is 15ft or larger.
TRUCK + TRAILERPenske, Ryder, U-Haul, Budget
- Select this option if you have straight truck that is 15ft or larger and hitching a trailer to the back.
- Select this option if you are bringing an RV or a bus to this year’s ride.
RV/BUS + TRAILER
- Select this option if you have an RV or Bus and hitching a trailer or car to the back of it.
RAGBRAI is no longer hosting the lottery!
Effective November 15, 2021, RAGBRAI will no longer host the weeklong rider lottery. RAGBRAI is still limited to an approximate number of riders and non-riders each year. The ride will still be capped at the same numbers but registration will be based on first-come, first-served basis. If you register and pay, you will automatically be guaranteed a wristband number and entry into the 2022 ride. Wristband numbers will still be issued in May 2022. Riders will receive an email with their wristband number and will have access to view it in their EnMotive account.
If we reach the cap a wait list will be started and riders will be contacted after April 1, 2022 if entries have been opened up. If you aren’t selected off the waitlist you will still have an opportunity to purchase a wristband from riders who are no longer able to attend. We recommend checking the forums on RAGBRAI.com/forums or social media for riders who are looking to transfer their registration credentials.
Moving to guaranteed registration allows riders to start planning for RAGBRAI from the moment they pay for their registration. No more worrying about getting in. Your wristband and entry are guaranteed.
When will the route be announced?
The overnight towns will be announced at our RAGBRAI XLIX Route Announcement Party on January 28th. This is a ticketed event benefiting the Iowa Bicycle Coalition. Tickets go on-sale the week of November 22, 2021.
When does registration open for RAGBRAI XLIX in 2022?
Registration is open for RAGBRAI XLIX. You can register here.
When does registration close for RAGBRAI XLIX in 2022?
Registration closes on the following days:
Team, weeklong rider, and weeklong non-rider registration closes on April 1, 2022
Day pass rider registration closes on June 1, 2022
What is included in my registration?
The following is included for all registration types (weeklong rider, weeklong non-rider, day rider):
- Four ambulances and paramedic teams on the route each day.
- Traffic controlled by Iowa State Patrol officers at select high traffic intersections throughout the day.
- Baggage transported from the overnight-to-overnight communities and unloaded for participants at the end of each day.
- Free SAG service, which patrols the route to pick up riders who breakdown either physically or mechanically.
- Ten bicycle repair shops dispersed throughout the route, and additional repair services available in the campgrounds during the day and in the evenings. Participants will pay for their own repairs; however, the shops will offer discounts for registered participants on all repairs, accessories, and RAGBRAI apparel.
- Access to live Entertainment/Bands each night
- Provision for camping locations in each host community, in addition to food vending areas, shuttle services, shower services, and entertainment.
- Portable toilets with hand-washing stations distributed among the official campgrounds.
- Route maps handed out at the community Information Centers and the RAGBRAI Merchandise and Information Trailers.
- Colorful and distinct, route signs that mark the bike route and the separate support vehicle route.
- A free embroidered patch for weeklong riders.
- Bicycle shipping stations at the end of the ride.
- Opportunity to join one of RAGBRAI’s Charters.
- Opportunity to utilize long-term parking in the starting or ending town. Long-term parking service will be denied for individuals not registered for RAGBRAI.
- Gifts for registered support vehicle drivers who attend the training meeting on the Saturday before the ride starts.
- Exclusive access and discounts at food vendors, bicycle repair shops, merchandise booths, and shower facilities for all registered participants displaying their wristbands.
- The annual Expo on the Saturday before the ride starts. The Expo features the latest in bicycle equipment, accessories, and apparel.
- A free Gravel Day and/or Karras Loop patch for registered participants who complete the optional routes.
- RAGBRAI team, weeklong rider and weeklong nonrider registration closes April 1, 2022
- RAGBRAI wristband numbers will be emailed on May 1, 2022
- RAGBRAI day pass rider registration closes June 1, 2022
- RAGBRAI transfer process is released in June 2022
- RAGBRAI registration packets will be delivered by the first week in July 2022 to all registered riders (if you register on a team your packet will be shipped to your team captain)
- RAGBRAI Expo is July 23, 2022, from 12 pm to 9 pm, in TBA
- RAGBRAI XLIX is July 23-July 30, 2022
- Read our detailed FAQ at RAGBRAI.com/faqs
- Read up on everything from registration to the ride at https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information
- Check out the forums and start chatting with fellow riders!
Still have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.