Join Us in July - Register Today!

Register or Not?

Can someone help me understand the benefits of formal registration? Three of us plan to use a small motorhome for a support vehicle, so we could be self supportive. I understand that, even if we register, we may not be chosen in the lottery. I understand that, if we register as a group and purchase a support vehicle pass, we would get a pass to the Rabrai campground. But I don’t understand a few other things? 1) If all three register as a group, what happens if someone is not picked in the lottery? 2) Are there other advantages to registration, such as road side support, support vehicle rides if someone can’t make the distance, etc.? 3) Other perks? I would like to support the club, but understand there is no shortage of support for buying tickets (thus the lottery). I would call someone if they were willing to slip me a phone number or otherwise provide contact information on this forum. Thanks for your help.

10 Replies

donhoppe, March 18, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Please do register. Ragbrai is a great event, but is not cheap to put on. Ragbrai pays for a lot of things such as ambulances and city clean up. Ragbrai is not for profit. If they have money left over it goes to charity. As for your 3 questions. 1. I have been doing Ragbrai for 19 years and have never heard of someone not getting picked for the lottery. If by some crazy chance one of you is not picked you can always but single day passes. We had one person in our group by 7 one day passes one year because she for got to register in time. They do not limit day passes. 2. Yes Ragbrai does supply sag wagons if you can’t make it. If you do not have a wrist band they will not take you because you have not signed their waver and their insurance won’t cover you if something would happen. I know of at least 1 person who wanted to use the sag wagon but was not allowed for the reason I just stated. You also get a bike band. If for some reason your bike can’t make it , ie. breaks down, but you can get a ride into town another way, just leave your bike upside down along the road side and the sag wagon will pick it up and take it to the end town. 3. Lots of venders will offer a discount if you have a wrist band and some of the beer gardens will charge admission if you don’t have a wrist band. There are lots of free loaders on Ragbrai and that is their choice. As for me and my group, we will support Ragbrai as much as possible.

LawnchairMan, March 18, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Hi Russ,

As Don said, the Register provides SAG for those in trouble. I never expected to need it, but I did in 2015. I crashed at the first three and a half miles of the first day. I had cracked my patella, and was taken to a hospital. Upon release, a register shuttle picked me up from the hospital and drove me to my charter camp ground. Since I had my number on my bike, I was able to have some one pick it up for me from the Register.

Other perks are discounts at most vendors, and preferred help at repair shops. I wouldn’t think of going as a bandit.

RDaryl Daryl, March 19, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Please Register. . . as a group. . . with vehicle pass.
The lottery is all or none for groups (no partial “picks”).
I am not aware of any on-time registrations not being picked in the lottery over the last 15 years or so.
RAGBRAI registrations fees support the overnight host towns in addition to other services utilized by your self supported team.
It should not be looked at from a cost/benefit analysis perspective.

Nico ZZZ, March 20, 2017 at 10:17 am

When you ride by all the law enforcement men and women who are handling vehicle traffic roadblocks to protect you, then you should thank god Ragbrai is only $175 registration. That alone is worth the fee.
I haven’t used the SAG, but it is good to know I am covered. When you see a rider down with a broken collarbone or leg, and the ambulance is right there, you will thank god for that registration fee.
We are so lucky to have an event like Ragbrai waiting for us every July…that fee is ridiculously small for what Ragbrai gives back to me.
Ride On!

Carl Anderson, March 20, 2017 at 4:51 pm

I would say if you are doing the full ride or one full day of riding, then you should register for the full ride or register for one day which is cheap. But if you are only going to ride a mile or two from your town you live in on the route just to get a feel for it then I would say just ride,but make sure you can handle all the other bikes. I will always register for it ,unless I come on really hard times,then most likely I would not be riding

Mike Murphy, March 20, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Please register for the ride. Bandits just take advantage of the benefits that we pay for. Some will say they support the towns by riding which is true, however without the 10,000 that pay for the ride that allows Ragbrai to do everything that needs to be done those towns would be empty. I always tell the bandits to ride the week after we go through and see how much they enjoy it.

francoisvanzyl, March 20, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Just do the right thing

Russ Peters, March 20, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Just one more question: We’ll most likely have two riders and a driver. If two register as riders and one as a non-rider, does that constitute the three people needed for a group?

Thanks again for your help.

Carl Anderson, March 21, 2017 at 3:52 am

Yes it does.then pay attention and read how to get a vehicle permit and close out your group.Each person has to register and pay before you can close out your group

mootsman, March 21, 2017 at 8:30 am

You said your bringing a motor home for your group. A big benefit then if your group registers as a group is getting a group vehicle pass from RAGBRAI. I believe RAGBRAI has areas for registered groups for motor home overnight parking.

Maybe some others familiar with this option can fill us in on the details on this thread??

Of course you can be part of the mad-dash to line up hosts in each town for your motor home also. Without Iowa connections in the overnight towns though it can be tough to find those.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters