Join Us in July - Register Today!

Medical ID bracelet

Please consider getting some sort of ID bracelet with emergency contact info, important medical problems, and medications (like blood thinners). When evaluating you in the ER, it sure helps figure out if it might be something like low blood sugar, seizure, or a heart attack. May I suggest typing out your medical history and medications on one piece of paper, then taking of photo of it with your phone. Also take a picture of both sides of your insurance card.

14 Replies

Sandaltan ., March 7, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Excellent advice. I have been wearing a Road ID for years.

RIDE RIGHT

hnschipper, March 8, 2019 at 8:56 am

Having a picture on your phone of medical history/medications doesn’t do much good if you’re unconscious and unable to unlock your phone. If you have a medical conditions/taking any prescriptions, maybe better to have an actual copy of that on you (jersey pocket?) somewhere.

CyclingCyclone, March 8, 2019 at 9:08 am

Road ID. I’ve known a couple people who theirs came in handy after crashing, and I have mine on anytime I’m out on the road or trail.

Barry Schnoor, March 8, 2019 at 9:14 am

Last year I had that data on my “lock” screen…in case I was unable to unlock the screen on my phone. Anyone has access to this. (And…you don’t need good cellular service to do this!)

But I also had a hard copy in my saddle bag, with a sticker on my bike that says where to find it.

It’s gonna be a great ride!

olddownhiller, March 8, 2019 at 10:24 am

Blood type sticker on helmet

Larry Klaaren, March 8, 2019 at 12:02 pm

The Health app that comes with an I-phone has a function to put medical information on your lock screen. There are also apps that have an audible medical alarm you could use to summon help, perhaps in your tent or some situation like that (like a KYBO – yuck). I don’t use one, but one that is available is called MedicalMe. You might want to review the presentation on your lock screen with a medical professional. “I am diabetic” is helpful. “I take ___ units of Novilin-N insulin twice a day” is very much more helpful to a clinician, especially if you are unconscious or comatose.

Low Rider, March 8, 2019 at 2:27 pm

I ride RAGBRAI with a copy of my designation of Health Care Surrogate and my Living Will as well. They are like umbrellas, business cards, and condoms . . . if you have them with you, you won’t need them, and if you don’t have them with you, you’ll need them.

Now to deal with the tangential reference of this thread to diabetes issues (my username is based on my relationship with hypoglycemia when I am physically active as a Type 1 diabetic):

[quote quote=1300594]“I take ___ units of Novilin-N insulin twice a day” is very much more helpful to a clinician, especially if you are unconscious or comatose.[/quote]

Given that insulin sensitivity increases with physical activity, a good way to become unconscious or comatose is to have a daily fixed amount of insulin during RAGBRAI, especially with a slower (although it’s not the slowest) acting insulins like Novolin N. RAGBRAI is a great place to consider backing off the Basal dose and to use Bolus dose of fast acting insulins to knock down BG after the riding for the day is done (or a special insulin pump profile) but not too tight given the muscle glycogen reload during the night. How and what the Total Daily Dose should/will be will be informed by the body’s reaction to the training rides. (ie consult your Endocrinologist, Physician’s Assistant, Diabetes Nurse, and/or Diabetes Educator with your data from longer training rides and back to back daily rides.)

Larry Klaaren, March 8, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Diabetes is complicated. It’s very helpful to have an idea what the normal dose is for the patient. I didn’t sense the need to spell out a physiology lesson for everybody. It was just an example of putting essential information out there.

Biggearguy hill, March 8, 2019 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for ALL tips much appreciated……

swiifg, March 8, 2019 at 4:18 pm

At the very least I carry a photocopy of both my ID and Insurance card with me on my bike essentially any time I ride.

Mike Howe, March 8, 2019 at 5:45 pm

Im type I as well… i keep it simple, carry my meter, humalog and sourpatch kids in my back jersey pocket just in case. Rather than wear a medical id braclet/knecklace Ive considered getting a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist that says “type I diabetic”. That way its always there just in case.

Low Rider, March 8, 2019 at 6:46 pm

[quote quote=1300612]Ive considered getting a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist that says “type I diabetic”. That way its always there just in case.[/quote]

That’s probably better than my idea to have “Alpha Male, no working beta cells” tattooed on my chest.

SFC JKL 2, March 9, 2019 at 5:05 pm

We have a guy who rides with us every couple years who has had a heart transplant. His medical ID bracelet is a thumb drive.

jdeutmeyer, March 9, 2019 at 6:41 pm

I would strongly encourage the wrist / ankle ID’s. We had a gentlemen have cardiac arrest during a club ride in the Quad Cities with successful resuscitation. We saw the benefit and now encorage the use of these at the beginning of club rides.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters