Join Us in July - Register Today!

diabetic

just was diagnos with type 2 diabetes, not going to let this control me. i can control with diet.
how do you fuel your self? for ragbrai is a carbo rich environment witch is great if you can have them. must be other people out there who are diabetic too. i will be seeing a dietitian monday,
thanks

10 Replies

Mike Howe, April 27, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Im Type I diabetic. I carry my meter and humalgo insulin with me in a little small pouch and put it in my jersey pocket. Ive had no problems eating what i want since im burning it off. The only issue ive had is at night my blood sugar tends to drop. I think this happens because my/your body continues to burn calories and carbs hours after Im done riding for the day. Sour patch kids and skittles are always with me in case i need sugar…. they dont melt, theyre small, and pure sugar.

Brian Wallenburg, April 29, 2019 at 7:38 pm

You wont have any troubles. There will be diabetic friendly choices in most every pass-through town, and for sure the overnights.

Tim TenClay, April 30, 2019 at 7:21 pm

A suitable diabetic diet is very doable. Just make sure you have enough experience under your belt managing your glucose, insuline and hydration in high heat and extensive sweating.

Khaled AlShebel, April 30, 2019 at 11:39 pm

A previous topic here about diabetes may be useful to you:
https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/riding-with-diabetes-2/

Joseph Payer, May 1, 2019 at 7:12 am

Found out I am after last year’s Ragbrai. Make sure you check you sugar a lot after the week is over. Also make sure you don’t keep eating sugar afterwards. Keeping an eye on where you are at is the most important thing.

Sharon Foster, May 1, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Mike Howe & Joseph Payer and others. I was told by the Ragbrai media coordinator to get on these forums to share my product with riders.

I’m with a company that promotes a nutritional, supplemental coffee, cocoa, or capsule. Our products are helping people all over the US with regulating blood sugar, reducing sugar & carb cravings, promoting weight management and/or loss without losing muscle mass, and enhancing physical endurance. It is loaded with powerful antioxidants as well as other ingredients that supply you with a clean, all-day energy. Just one cup or capsule in the morning is all it takes!

I would love to send you a FREE 3-day sample for you to try the taste, or you can get a 30 supply with our 100% 30 Day Money Back Guarantee! I believe these products will help to give you the best Ragbrai 2019 experience and I’d love to hear how you do when you’re finished!

So click on my website link and either request a free sample of your choosing or take advantage of the Money Back Guarantee and order your first month now! Times awasting, Ragbrai 2019 will be here before you know it!

https://RevitalU.com/sharonfoster

Neil Havran, May 2, 2019 at 8:38 am

My wife is a Registered Dietitian with over 30 years experience. We are doing the entire route. Look for a Kansas bicycle license plate with our team name on it. If you have any concerns she will be happy to help. Cheers! Team Havranasty

skb-mpls, June 5, 2019 at 7:17 pm

Speak with your doctor about blood sugar mgmt and dehydration. You will be burning off carbs at a higher rate than at home. I suffered from dehydration and many Type II meds may make dehydration worse. I now suspend my metformin medication (on drs orders) during the week of RAGBRAI & watch my sugar intake towards evening. I am a salty sweater so I find I need to drink a few ounces of pickle juice and Noon tablets when it is very hot humid.

Kelli Libby, June 7, 2019 at 9:27 am

My advice is to wear DM identification, a bracelet, necklace anything to help medical professionals know where to start if you get into trouble. My other advise is to know your body. When my blood sugar is dropping I get a headache, I also get a headache when I get dehydrated, gotta know the difference. Good luck! Have fun
Ps Tell the people you are riding with you are DM and educate them on what to look for.
We have several DM in our group and numerous medical professional that go with us. We also have a “Medication” cooler for insulin, and other medications.
You got this!

Steve Pasquarette, June 7, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Not diabetic but adoption of a ketogenic diet will keep you feuled but it does take your body 4-6 weeks to adapt to burning fats/ketones. Also, since you are diabetic, your doctor should be able to write you a script for a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It can give you real time feedback Dexcom units support low blood sugar notification so a you, a friend, or family member could be notified if your blood sugar drops overnight be as a prior post mentioned could be an issue.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters